Question Convertible for 4 door Jeep Wrangler

aliflower

Hi guys, My son is 7.5 months and is 22 lbs, 28" long. We currently have a Chicco Keyfit 30 that he's growing too big for. We would like to get him in a convertible and I was hoping for some suggestions to make sure he stays rear facing as long as possible in a seat that fits our 4 door Jeep Wrangler. It will be put on the outside behind the passenger seat since hubby is tall and has the drivers seat all the way back. The keyfit fits well in the Jeep and I have a comfortable amount of leg room in the front. We were thinking of spending around $200 but we have family who will pitch in if the right seat costs more than that. If there's any information I left out please let me know. Thank you for your help!

ADS

T4K

Are there any other kids in the Jeep?

If not, I prefer putting my singular kid in the center of my Jeep just because...well, it's our Jeep and Jeeps aren't known for their reinforced doors, roof, and side airbags. ;-) gotta love Jeeps. :)

That being said...in the center, I have installed a Graco MyRide, Britax Roundabout 55 (any non-classic Britax convertible would work, Diono Radian with Angle Adjuster, and a Clek Foonf.

The only one that will really work behind the seat is the Britax but its also the shortest (and wont last your child as long as the others). The rest of them are too tall to go behind a seat.

That being said, I loved the Britax while I had it. I loved the seat and their customer service is top notch.

aliflower

No there aren't any other kids, but my husband is tall and has to have his seat all the way back and tilted back a bit. If there's a seat that would fit in the middle even with his seat so far back then I'm all for it. I do worry about the safety of the Jeep.

I'd like this seat to last as long as possible, so if there's another option that might last a bit longer I would appreciate the suggestions. Do all convertibles take up more space than the infant bucket seats?

As far as the Britax - do you think any of the models would fit behind the seat? Is there one that you think would be best for my son? Do the headwings of some models get in the way and further reduce the max height?

Thanks so much!

T4K

No there aren't any other kids, but my husband is tall and has to have his seat all the way back and tilted back a bit. If there's a seat that would fit in the middle even with his seat so far back then I'm all for it. I do worry about the safety of the Jeep. I'd like this seat to last as long as possible, so if there's another option that might last a bit longer I would appreciate the suggestions. Do all convertibles take up more space than the infant bucket seats? As far as the Britax - do you think any of the models would fit behind the seat? Is there one that you think would be best for my son? Do the headwings of some models get in the way and further reduce the max height? Thanks so much!
If you want a seat to last a long time AND fit between the seats, I would definitely get the Diono Radian with Angle Adjuster. My husband is 6 feet tall and we haven't had issues with it. The Britax will fit behind you but won't last as long. If your child is average to below in size, it will probably be fine. It also installs great in the middle because of the built in lock offs. The headwinds don't reduce height. Anyone except the ones with the huge bolsters (like the Advocate) on the side will be fine. I like the Marathon 70 if you don't want headwings. My kid was a car sleeper so the headwings were nice when she was little. I'm not up on current headwinged models. I think the Boulevard 70?

T4K

I don't have the Britax anymore but found this old pic...

It looks like there's room for the seats to come back. Especially if you install just a bit to the other side of your husband.
f7eca68e.jpg

Also, this one...looks like my husband was driving and the seat was back fairly far...it probably had more room.
5377b3de.jpg

The Diono Radian allows the driver seat to be jammed into the carseat. I believe Britax allows touching but not force able bracing.

aliflower

Thanks! I guess I'll see if my Babies R Us has a Radian to try to see if it will fit in the middle. Can I use the angle adjuster now or do I have to wait til he's older/bigger?

I had wanted to try the new Chicco convertible because we love our Keyfit but they didn't have one. I didn't check for a Radian though. I know they have a couple of the Britax models there.

aliflower

Thanks for the pictures...it's nice to see how it fits. Also good to know that the carseats can touch the drivers seat. So I can install it a little off center? I've never installed a convertible before so I don't know much about them. That would probably help since my seat doesn't need to be back nearly as far.

Your daughter is beautiful! Glad to see it's a comfy seat for a nap. :)

T4K

Thanks! I guess I'll see if my Babies R Us has a Radian to try to see if it will fit in the middle. Can I use the angle adjuster now or do I have to wait til he's older/bigger? I had wanted to try the new Chicco convertible because we love our Keyfit but they didn't have one. I didn't check for a Radian though. I know they have a couple of the Britax models there.

I don't think they will have a Radian but you never know...maybe they started carrying them? I would definitely try the Britax, Chicco and Graco Size4me/Headwise or whatever it is! Don't let the BRU employee talk nonsense to you either. ;-) All can be installed in the middle with seatbelt. As for the adjuster...I think it specifies use for the 12 months and up crowd; however, I believe it's a conservative guideline. If your child has excellent head control and is otherwise "normal" then it should be fine. But it's a parent judgement thing and I'm not a tech.

macasa

I have a 4 door jeep wrangler and our radian works well in the middle installed with the seatbelt of course :) it actually installs the best in that that vehicle out of any vehicle I have put it in. We use the angle adjuster but it will install well without it too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC