Convertible choices: orbit, peg, TF, britax CT, Fllo

MelodyoftheForest

I am trying to choose DD's next car seat. I have not tried any of these in my car yet, but should have access to them to do so except where noted. I would like to narrow it down more before I get to that stage, so I need your help! We will continue to use the Keyfit we have through the winter. We would use it longer, but DD gets very sweaty in it in warm weather. I bought a second cover to try, but I am not sure it will help much.

About us:
  • We drive a 2006 Chevy HHR
  • DH and I are 5'8" and 5'7"
  • The Keyfit fits well with the handle down in the center or outboard passenger positions
  • DD is 7 months old and is average size at 26" and 16.5 lbs clothed and cloth diapered
  • DD wears 6 month onesies and 9 month pants
  • Our small dog's carrier is 18" long and will likely be belted behind the driver
  • We are not planning any future babies
  • I have health issues that make saving my energy rather important

What we need/want:
  • A convertible to hopefully keep DD rear-facing until her 4th birthday
  • And forward-facing until booster readiness
  • Fabrics to keep her from getting too sweaty in the summer
  • Comfy enough for long trips
  • Rebound management of some kind
  • Quick and easy to install in a variety of vehicles (all post-1996, I think)
  • Side impact protection for outboard installation
  • Ability to fly with it would be nice
  • Bonus points for non-toxic fabrics and seats not made in China.
  • No budget limitations if we don't need an extra travel seat

The contenders, in no particular order:

Orbit Toddler with base
  • Pros: mesh fabric, strong arm knob on base, swivel to save our backs, relatively lightweight without base, safer fabrics
  • Cons: maybe not as padded as other seats, the priciest, 35 lb RF weight limit

The First Years True Fit SI/I-Alert
  • Pros: lighter/smaller with removable head restraint, on the less expensive side (especially I-Alert on Amazon), padded
  • Cons: unsure of fabric sweatiness, can't try before I buy, 35 lb RF weight limit

Peg Perego PV Convertible
  • Pros: made in Italy with quality fabrics, not super heavy, optional climate control cover
  • Cons: on the shorter side for RF longevity, no true lockoffs FF

Britax Boulevard/Advocate Clicktight
  • Pros: Clicktight, very tall, comfy
  • Cons: heavy, unsure about fabrics

Clek Fllo
  • Pros: all that good Clek stuff
  • Cons: kinda heavy, unsure of padding

Others I have considered:
  • Britax Advocate G4 in Laguna (good-looking fabric, but short RF)
  • Evenflo Platinum Symphony DLX (Outlast fabrics, short RF, no rebound management)
  • Britax Roundabout Classic (light weight, affordable, smaller, maybe sweaty)
  • Diono ...(tall, probably cool, can be hard to install)

Anything else I should be considering? Is the Orbit base really considered rebound management?

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I would cross the Orbit, TrueFit, Symphony and Peg off your list if you're certain that you want to RF until age 4. If you're going to be unhappy turning your child before age 4 then go for a seat with lots of height and a weight limit of at least 40 lbs.

The Diono convertibles can be incompatible with a lot of seating positions when you try to install FF with seatbelt and LATCH limits are very low due to weight. I wouldn't buy a Diono that I was going to need to install FF with seatbelt unless I was sure it was going to install well in my vehicle(s).

Britax Blvd or Advocate CT gets you easy installation and usage (RF & FF, with LATCH or seatbelt), longevity both RF & FF, rebound control and made in USA. Fabrics vary depending on model but with the exception of "Blakeney" (BRU fashion for Blvd which has a terrible feel to it), most of the fabrics are nice.

NextFit is worthy of consideration. It doesn't have a RF tether or ARB but it does pass Canadian rebound standards without those things.

Fllo ticks a lot of your boxes and it's made in Canada. As long as you understand that it's heavy and requires time to set up before you install. Opinions on comfort will vary depending on who you ask. It's definitely not soft and squishy like some other seats.

Not sure if you've see this already but it might help you to narrow down your choices: http://carseatblog.com/31265/best-c...cing-the-definitive-guide-for-savvy-shoppers/

HTH! Good luck with your decision!

MelodyoftheForest

I think if she made it to 3-3.5 RF I would be ok with that. If history is any indication, she will likely be on the light side, too.

Some cars we ride in do not have LATCH, so I do like the the thought of the CT seats, but they might not be great on a plane.

I have really liked the NextFit in the past, so I am glad to hear it is good with rebound! I will put it back in the running.

I think I will have to play with a Fllo before I decide if I like it or not, for sure!

I have found that blog post very helpful in my initial research, thank you!

Hazelandlucy

I know the Fllo, Britax Clicktight, Nextfit, Britax G4, and Peg quite well between owning them or trying them extensively! I really got into carseats picking a convertible for DD2, lol.

My DD1 is average height (37 inches at 3) and is very close to outgrowing the G4 Britax by height. She is probably an inch and a quarter from the top or so. So it lasted a good while, but I doubt would last your child until 4 (my DD1 was also around 25/26" at 7 months). The leg room is bad past 2 yrs old as well. Really easy seat to use though. I have the Laguna cover BTW, but actually find it kind of dull in person especially comported to the Peg's Aquarmarine!

The Fllo is really easy to use as well. Lots of legroom and will get my DD1 easily and comfortably to 4 (and longer if I wanted). The harness is easy and it's easy load. The height is a nice happy medium between a Britax and the Foonf - not too high to block view or be hard to load, but lets the kid see a lot. The padding is ok - it's not like a cheaper seat where you can feel the plastic frame in the back, but it's not squishy. It's kind of like a tempurpedic mattress vs a pillow top (Britax). The crotch pad and harness covers are kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Could be a lot more plush and bigger for the money. Very heavy.

The Peg is beautiful and simple. The seat pan is wider than the Britax and I think that's why more legroom since it's not really deeper. I actually don't find it that comfortable - the back is quite firm and I can almost feel the steel plate, although that's me pushing on it. It would probably get my DD1 to 3.75 or something like that. If you can't use latch, the Peg is supposed to be terrible trying to use the seat belt rear facing.

The Click Tight is easy to use and lasts forever rear and forward facing. Leg room is not much better though. My DD1 never complained, but I felt like I needed to recline the seat more than the Fllo or I was really cramming her in. It's also super heavy. The 7 reclines are really convenient! I wish you could recline after installing because I had to install, check the bubble, and reinstall a few times because the click tight puts it more upright once you install it. But still nice to be able to adjust for a wide variety of cars without a towel. Works great on a plane too although heavy.

The Next Fit is nice and the high sides are very safe, but quite confining for an older toddler. It might not even be the depth, but more the bucket shape. It looks like a "baby seat' in rear facing mode and I found it slightly hard to load. I also don't think the buckle is as easy as the Peg/Britax/Fllo and have to remind myself to click it over to "rear facing mode". All the reclines are also nice like the Click Tight. I don't think it has any crash energy management like Safe Cell, Eact, or "S.A.F.E" like the other seats.

My favorite is probably the Fllo for leg room and ease of use. It also looks "cool' and grown up and I think that will be appreciated if you use it until booster time.

MelodyoftheForest

Thanks for the feedback! I liked the Laguna fabric mainly because it looked more breathable when I saw it in person. Lack of leg room could be an issue, though.

The Fllo being easy to use and load is very appealing to me! Even though it isn't squishy, as long as the padding doesn't bottom out it could be comfy enough.

Sounds like between the height and possible seat belt install issues, I should probably count out the Peg. Still on the fence about the Advocate, I guess.

I don't like the sound of the NextFit being difficult to load, especially since the doors on our car are not very wide!

Hazelandlucy

Thanks for the feedback! I liked the Laguna fabric mainly because it looked more breathable when I saw it in person. Lack of leg room could be an issue, though.

The Fllo being easy to use and load is very appealing to me! Even though it isn't squishy, as long as the padding doesn't bottom out it could be comfy enough.

Sounds like between the height and possible seat belt install issues, I should probably count out the Peg. Still on the fence about the Advocate, I guess.

I don't like the sound of the NextFit being difficult to load, especially since the doors on our car are not very wide!

The Laguna is really comfortable and a lot more breathable than my Cowmooflage.

The padding on the Fllo definitely doesn't bottom out, you can't feel the seat underneath or on the back at all. It's just sort of a firm cushion throughout the seat. The fabric really does wipe clean and my Foonf, which I have had for over year, looks brand new.

The Orbit installs very upright I have heard. If I wanted a swivel seat, I would import a Britax Dual Fix with a load leg and rebound bar! But that's technically illegal. My DD2 rode in one in England and it was so fun and easy to load and felt really solid.

Last edited:

MelodyoftheForest

Great! I need to call around and see if I can see the Fllo in person. A big thing I didn't like about the G4 was the fit if the hip straps when I tried DD in it. Removing the infant pillow would likely help, but she will not see 22 lbs any time soon! The CT had better fit, and I could remove the infant pillow, at least.

Rm2000hg

I have an Orbit toddler seat. I do love it because of the look, the fabric, the swivel base & ability to use with stroller frame (great for travel). However, I mainly used it for my heavy kid that didn't fit in the classic marathon harness anymore despite still being within the height and weight limits of both seats. She was able to get 9 months in the Orbit toddler after no longer fitting in the marathon.

It is not my go to seat for rear facing. I generally prefer the Britax seats I have for rear facing because of the tether ability. I don't yet have a clicktight seat but I would be in even more favor of Boulevard clicktight because if the higher height limit allowed for rear facing and ease of use.

I also like the Diono and Clek seats because of the tether ability or anti rebound bar and the higher weight limits, although they aren't as easy to install as the britax clicktights.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC