Question Combi Coccoro Reclined While Forward Facing

l.miller2006

My 29 month old, 26 lbs and 34" tall daughter is riding forward facing in a Coccoro. She is in a Toyota Avalon 2001 that has a rear tether and NO latch system. I want to have her forward facing, I don't really like this car seat rear facing, it is so easy to flip towards the back of the seat (even with a rolled up towel) and I don't have a good tether anchor for rear facing either. So my questions is about the recline of this car seat in forward facing. In forward facing mode it's about as reclined as a rear facing car seat in my opinion. I can get it tight and stable in a reclined position but no an up right position.

I have tried getting it tight in a more upright position, and I can get it pretty tight side to side, but soon as I pull on the front the seat just pulls right down and is super loose. Combi had me try a rubber liner but that didn't do any thing. The back of the Coccoro is so circular I don't see how anyone could get it to be upright, the top of the seat would have to be off the back of the vehicle seat it seams like. I have tried putting the Coccoro in the middle seat but still had the same problems.

here is an image of the recline. Notice the different angles of the harnesses across the two children's chests. DC7_6220small.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In this blog review, you can see the back side of the seat. As long as the two blue clips (the seatbelt threads threw one when installed rfing with Euro routing-as seen in the pic) and the two beige bumps below them are all 4 in full contact with the vehicle seat back, and as long as the vehicle seat isn't reclined, the angle is fine. It will install more upright in some cars than in others.

When installing, are you pushing down and back while tightening the seatbelt and using the lockoff? Make sure you don't tighten the top tether so much that you lift the seat up also. That can lead to too much front to back movement as well.

l.miller2006

Thanks for your response. I figured how to to post a picture. The bottom beige clips do both seem to be in full contact with the seat, and the vehicle seat is not reclined, so I guess the recline in acceptable. I just wish she were more upright.

I have a question also about the infant insert seat pad. It says that you must use it with infants less than 25 pounds and to "discontinue use of the infant inserts when shoulders are above the top shoulder strap slots forward-facing or shoulder straps become too short to fit child" It doesn't say anything about if it can only be used rear facing? Can I continue to use the infant seat insert while forward facing since my daughters shoulders are still below the top forward facing slots?

littleangelfire

Is she using the infant pads in the pic? They are part of the newborn recline, so if you use them it's going to make her more reclined. No idea whether you can use them per Combi but my guess would be no, since it changes recline. Call and check

l.miller2006

In the picture above she is not using the infant seat insert. When she is sitting on it it does make her look more reclined, like you said. I like that it lifts her up higher, but you've made a good point that it makes her more reclined, which I don't want.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is she uncomfortable? Some seats have a major natural recline (Graco MyRide) and kids don't fuss about it. And some have a forced recline for under 40 pounds (Graco 4Ever), for whatever reason the recline is required, my guess is that it enhances crash performance, so it's not bad at all. As long as it's installed properly, it probably just is what it is.

l.miller2006

She is very comfortable in this seat. My concern is the effect of being reclined in a frontal collision. I have not seen reclined forward facing car seats, other than ones like the clek foonf that "recline on the fly"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC