cleaning a MR (warning puke mentioned)

kitkatkc

This evening, I actually asked myself whether it would be more worth it to clean up puke or buy a new car seat. Yeah, that bad...
This evening, my son puked all over his seat. Like, a lot.
Currently, I have the cover, clothes, and shoes in the wash (on hand wash) and have cleaned the car seats.
The actual car seat, though, is still filthy. Can I take a hose to it? I don't know how to get all of the crevasses and everything free of puke. It smells something awful. I know that I can only use water to clean the straps, but would hosing the seat down be a problem?

ADS

Kaitsmom

You cant saturate the straps, so you would have to be very careful. I have never seen a naked MyRide, is there padding or anything under the cover?

My daughter was a massive car puker, so I feel your pain. I just would start at the top of my Marathon and work my way down with a tub of Lysol wipes, q tips and a ruler (to get into the places my chubby hands couldnt.)

kitkatkc

there isn't anything I would call padding under the cover- it looks like styrofoam? on the back. Other than that, it is all plastic. The padding is all in the cover itself.
One of my problems is that I am very sensitive to smells, so I can't just start working on it with a toothbrush or whatever, I can't stand being that close to the smell. I rinsed it down, and then used windex to clean the body of the seat, and just a washcloth to clean the straps. Hopefully the smell will go away.
I am thinking about wetting down the straps and sitting the seat in the sun- like I would do with laundry- would that be a problem? I wouldn't put anything other than water on the straps.

Brianna

I had to clean a pukey MR too. I suggest getting up close and personal to make sure it's all out of the nooks and crannies. I used baby soap and water to gently clean the straps, then I dried them in the sun. No left over smell :)

AmandaKrone

CPS Technician
Definitely don't get any straps wet, they should only be wiped down. I'd be afraid of getting it wet between the plastic and foam parts too if they aren't removable.

I honestly have bought a new seat before from puke being too bad. My DD threw up once when she was 5 and it covered the entire back seat-- seats, floor, the back of the front seats, her car seat, down MY head, and a bit even got up into the front seats and floor. OMG that was horrendous! I dropped her off at my mom's house and told my mom to bathe her and throw away her clothes. :eek: I went straight to the car wash and threw away her car seat and the back floor mats. Thankfully I had leather seats!! It still took me two hours (and about $20 in the carpet shampooer machine) to clean up the car though. She's always been a big eater and often got car sick. That was the worst time though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC