Chev Silverado, front seat question

Tizzy

I saw mentioned in another thread that car seats cannot go in the front seat of a Chev truck?
Where can I find more information on this?
I was hoping to turn the passenger air bag off to put one in the middle (on a bench seat).
Any info is appreciated, thanks!

ADS

rxmommy

What year truck, and does the truck have a backseat (extended, crew cab?)?

We have a 2007 Silverado crew cab and carseats are NOT allowed in the front middle. I don't know why, wish I did, expressly prohibited by the manual. You can put a forward-facing seat in the passenger side and the airbags only turn off by sensors. Unfortunately it's something I may have to do from time to time though after next week.

Our old 1997 had a turn-key switch for the passenger airbag. We also had a '97 regular cab (no back seat) but my kids never rode in that one so I never looked up the rules. Currently we own the 2007 and a 1999 Silverado extended cab, but the only seats I've used in that one are HB boosters for the big girls, I've never read the manual for it. It's DH's work truck.

Brianna

Do you have the owner's manual for your truck? Whether it's allowed or disallowed should be in there. IIRC, Chevy across the board doesn't allow child restraints in the center of their front row.

My guess as to why it's not allowed would be that the driver's airbag could cross into the center seating position.

Tizzy

The one we're looking at is a 2001 ext. cab 2500 diesel. I'm trying to find a manual online. Edmunds says it has a deactivation switch for the passenger side.

As an alternative, would it be acceptable, like rxmommy suggested to put a 50lb 5yr old FF'ing on the passenger side in a Nautilus (5pt)?

rxmommy

How many kids are you needing to transport, and what are their ages/weights? The front middle is really not a safe place for an adult either- only a lap belt & no head rest.

Brianna

Would all back seats be taken by other passengers (if so, ages, weights, current seats)? Who would have to ride in the front middle seat if the 5 year old is outboard?

Tizzy

It would be primarily myself and the kids - 5.5yr old 50lbs (currently 5pt in Nautilus), 4yr old 35lbs (currently 5pt in Britax Frontier), 2yr old 22lbs (currently RF'ing Evenflo Titan) and infant (RF'ing in OnBoard Air) come August.
But would be used occasionally with a 2nd adult.

Tizzy

Any advice on having one of the older kids in the front (with air-bag disabled)?
Or should I pass and look at Fords a little closer?

Brianna

In a situation where it is you and 4 kids, the safest option is the oldest rear-facer in the passenger seat with the airbag manually disabled. If it will be you, the 4 children, and another adult, one of the passengers will have to ride unsafely, ideally the adult in the lap belt in the middle. Of course, this isn't safe or ideal for the adult to ride in a lap belt and without any head support.

If you have the option to buy a Ford where a child restraint could be installed in the middle (forward facing harnessed seat) in the event that you have a 6th passenger, I would take that option.

rxmommy

Any advice on having one of the older kids in the front (with air-bag disabled)?
Or should I pass and look at Fords a little closer?

I would personally look at Fords. And I say that as a diehard, born and raised Chevy girl. ;) My dad's first job was a Corvette mechanic LOL! I believe the newer Fords even have a lap/shoulder belt and a headrest in the front center position. And they DO allow a car seat in the front middle as well.

Out of your kids, yes, I would pick the oldest harnessed in a Nautilus in the front passenger seat. Unfortunately then you are left with no safe spot for an adult (we have the same problem). But I am not a tech and that's just my gut and from reading on here, so take it fwiw. :)

beeman

01/02 gm diesels have injector problems that get very expensive quickly, and I would run away from it on that reason alone. Remember the Ford 6.0L diesel (2003.5 +) isn't exactly known for it's reliability either.

Tizzy

Oh don't get me started on the actual vehicles themselves, aside from car seat compatibility :D
We're in month 4 of the truck hunt with no luck so far.
Even considered an F-350 (7.2) but the concept of having to replace an air-bag sensor just to disable the front seat is just not my cup of tea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC