Checking for Movement

ngs215

I have only ever installed car seats with latch, but tried seatbelt installs today because I was trying to fit myself in the back with the kids for a long car trip. After a lot of effort, I finally thought I got them installed. I pushed the seats back and forth near the belt path and they barely moved. It was much less than an inch, but not rock solid like we get with latch. Then my husband checked them and at first they didn't move much, but after he pushed and pulled on them a few times, they started moving more and he kept getting move and more movement each push/pull cycle.

I am trying to figure out if I am not using enough force when I check for movement or if he is using too much. I know that is hard to tell over the internet. I feel like the install must be bad if my husband can work it loose, but then why am I not seeing it as bad when I first check them?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pretty much any installation can be made loose if you try hard enough. The point isn't to MAKE it loose, it's to make sure it's sufficiently tight to begin with.

I give one or two moderate push-pulls, I figure about the force you'd use to open a refrigerator. As long as it doesn't move more than an inch, it's fine. No need to keep working at it.

aaiya

I have only ever installed car seats with latch, but tried seatbelt installs today because I was trying to fit myself in the back with the kids for a long car trip. After a lot of effort, I finally thought I got them installed. I pushed the seats back and forth near the belt path and they barely moved. It was much less than an inch, but not rock solid like we get with latch. Then my husband checked them and at first they didn't move much, but after he pushed and pulled on them a few times, they started moving more and he kept getting move and more movement each push/pull cycle.

I am trying to figure out if I am not using enough force when I check for movement or if he is using too much. I know that is hard to tell over the internet. I feel like the install must be bad if my husband can work it loose, but then why am I not seeing it as bad when I first check them?

OP, we must have the same husband! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC