Car seats and lap bellts

Ananab

Hello,

Does anybody know if it would be possible to fit 3 across in a 1999 Honda CR-V? The middle seat has a lap belt only. DD1 and DD2 are both FF in Britax high back boosters. Just trying to sort out if it's possible to use a car seat in the middle with lap belt only. If not, do I have any options other than buying a new car? (Note: there is no latch system in the vehicle)

Thanks for your help.

ADS

Keeanh

Lap belts are great for installing harnessed car seats (both forward & rear-facing)! But no-one else should ride in them.

If we know more about your situation, I'm sure we can help. We'll need the stats of the 3 children (age, weight, height), and the exact models of seats that you have. That generation of CRV is very narrow (my BIL has one), but 3-across is possible.

Booster seats which use the vehicle seat belt to restrain the child absolutely cannot be used with lap-only seat belts. It is extremely dangerous.

What type of car seat are you wishing to install in the position with the lap belt? You can install many rear-facing seats in that position without issue, and you can quite possibly get a top tether anchor retrofitted so that you can install a forward facing harnessed car seat in the lap belt only position as safely as possible.

Ananab

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I can't recall the exact name of the high back boosters, but they are Britax. My DDs are ages 4 and 6 and the seat in question would be for a newborn, and I'm hoping to use a Britax Roundabout. Could I install that seat (or similar) in the middle then, with lap belt only? I did have to have my Honda tech install two tethers in the ceiling at the back for car seats previously. I assume I'd need to have a third installed in the middle?
Thanks again.

Keeanh

Yes, that's right, you'd need a 3rd anchor in the middle at some point. Not immediately for a newborn, but I would still recommend getting one ASAP because programs are being discontinued and parts are getting hard to find. Are you familiar with the recommendation to rear-face 2 years minimum, and preferably to the limits of the seat?

Check the expiration date on your Roundabout, assuming you had it for one of your other children.

Your best bet is to just try the seat. Another seat that might work is a Scenera. Or you might have to get a Radian.

How heavy is your 4yo? Does she always sit properly in the booster, even when sleeping? I ask because most children aren't ready for a booster until 5-6yo. Would you consider harnessing her again? It's much easier to buckle a harnessed seat than a booster in a tight 3-across.

Also, does your vehicle have headrests for the outboard seats?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes, that's right, you'd need a 3rd anchor in the middle at some point. Not immediately for a newborn, but I would still recommend getting one ASAP because programs are being discontinued and parts are getting hard to find. Are you familiar with the recommendation to rear-face 2 years minimum, and preferably to the limits of the seat?

Unfortunately you can't retrofit a 99 CRV with a centre tether point, outboard only.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Is this a classic Roundabout (40# limit)? If so, it probably won't work for a newborn because the straps will be above the shoulders of almost all newborns.

I second the recommendation of reharnessing at least the 4yo. I don't like 4yos in boosters to begin with, and harnessed seats are much easier in tight three-acrosses.

First of all, congratulations on the pending newborn!

There are lots of things going on here, so I will try to simplify :)

Firstly- Putting the 4-year old child back into a harnessed car seat {this would be much easier for your 3-across, especially since it will be tight! Figuring out booster seat that work in a 3-across is difficult because the child must be able to buckle their seat, which is hard to do with car seats on either side}. Is this option something you would consider? If not, we will try our best to find a booster to work for you but it may be very difficult!

Secondly- The Britax Roundabout that has a 40 pound weight limit (which would have been the one out when your oldest was an infant) is not suitable for a newborn. Even with low weight limits, the smallest harness height setting is too far above a newborn child's shoulders to provide a safe, secure fit around their body. They must use a seat with harness straps that come from at or below their shoulders. There are many, many choices out there for all budgets! What is the weight limit and date of manufacture of your Roundabout? This will help us figure out if it will be suitable.

Thirdly- As you cannot retrofit a top tether anchor in the center position of the rear seat, that seat should be considered only safe to use for a rear facing child restraint. Lap belts alone are not safe for anyone to use. This does not mean you have to buy a new car (at least not right away). If you follow the recommendations of the AAP, NHTSA, Transport Canada, and Child Passenger Safety Technicians/Advocates and rear-face your child to at least age 2, then the vehicle will work for your family until you turn your newest child forward facing. The longer you can rear face, the better :) It is over 500% safer, and many children find it more comfortable!

Questions:
(A) What is your budget for a new seat for your newborn?
(B) If you are willing to re-harness the 4-year old, would you be willing to purchase a new seat for the child? If so, what is your budget for that seat?
(C) Are you opposed to skipping the removable infant carrier and going directly to a convertible car seat for your newborn? (Provided the seat fits the child properly it is equally as safe as an infant carrier)

I'm sure we can get you all sorted away and on the road with all three on board safely!

Keeanh

(This is to the techs who know about the CRV) -- Do you think there's any possibility of retrofitting that centre position with an EZ-on heavy duty tether anchor? I have no idea what kind of access there is to the frame back there.

That said, I agree OP could likely get another 3-4 years out of the vehicle as it is with a RF seat in the middle.

1mommy

I know a dealership can retrofit a shoulder belt in some cars but am not sure if it can in yours not, might be worth a call, but I'd also see if it has a headrest, as eventually once a child goes to a backless booster or no booster (and even certain high back boosters) they should have head support to prevent whiplash in case of an accident.

Ananab

Wow. Thanks to all for such detailed information. Lots to consider here!
I will provide you with more details re: my current seats and wt/ht stats of my kids later today.

In the meantime, to answer some of your questions; yes - I am totally fine with harnessing 4-y-o, and also I do adhere to the 2-year-min rear facing. I am also hoping to purchase an infant-to-toddler convertible seat (rather than infant bucket) but am open to both ideas if necessary. Cost is definitely an issue, but so is quality, so if there is a "middle-of-the-road" type of option out there, I would appreciate some ideas on that.

So if I understand correctly, is the idea to have oldest DD1 in booster at one side, infant seat with lap belt RF in middle for 2 years, and then DD2 in Britax Roundabout FF (current or new, depending on expiration) on other side. That's doable, right? What happens in 2 years' time? (assuming the car is still running!) Is our only option at that time a new vehicle?
Thanks again.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's really nothing that can be done with the center of a 99 CR-V, no top tether or shoulderbelt can be added (I owned one...the top has either the reinforcement nuts on the outboard for adding anchors, but the center top would be literally through the roof. The floor has a removable picnic table, making adding other anchors at least tricky, but in real life, impossible to add). The lapbelt is great for installing a seat, though, and most seats still pass minimum standards of install and safety even without a top tether.
An convertible that reclines enough for a newborn with a super narrow base would be a fine choice for between two boosters, I'm thinking the My Size 70 (or headwise, or fit4me, they are all Gracos with different names)... it also has the benefit of being much taller forward facing than the Britax seats, so if you keep that car for many more years, it can stay in the center and will fit a small kid as old as 6+ years, so you'll be able to use that lapbelt spot safely.

cookie123

I just wanted to mention you can rear face your new baby much longer than to age 2. Many rear facing convertible seats should be able to be used to 3.5 or 4 or more! The longer you are able to rear face, the longer you can go until you'll need a new vehicle.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC