Car Seat Protector?

Janelle210

Looking for some advice- My parents have a car with leather seats and are looking to protect the seats from any damage the child car seat may do to them.

Any suggestions?

I found this on Amazon, but wasn't sure if it was truly "safe" to use it... Does anyone know what the regulations on these things are?

Amazon.com : BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector : Car Seat Travel Bags : Baby

Also- Is it safe to put a regular seat cover on the seats?

Amazon.com: Coverking Custom Fit Rear 40/20/40 Seat Cover for Select Lexus RX350/RX450h Models - Neosupreme (Tan with Black Sides): Automotive

They what to put something like this on the seats first and THEN the seat guardian on top. It seems to me that it might be too slippery. Let me know what you think... Thanks!

Janelle Vendeville

ADS

1mommy

Really the child seats wont do any damage aside from making a slight indent in the leather seats (which go away after you take out the seats for a day or two). Most seats do not have sharp edges to dig into or damage the leather. The kids on the other hand might make a mess, so if they are concerned about that they should ban all food/drink in the car. Depending on how often they are in the car and ages you could be also be worried about possible potty accidents or motion sickness or just spit up.

You can put down a thin towel or receiving blanket underneath the seat to protect the seat if you want but really I have found in my car vs my hubbys that leather seats actually look better post children then fabric because I have found its easier to clean. *shrugs*

Janelle210

Yeah, I should also mention my mom is totally OCD and if she could be, she'd be a "plastic on the furniture" kind of person but my dad won't let her. LOL She's concerned the seat itself will harm the leather somehow and wants to put some kind of protective covering on it. My only concern was the slick of the leather against slick of fabric, could prove dangerous in a crash. This may be completely unfounded not physically possible, but I figured I'd check first before letting them get something that could cause unwanted movement or shifting of any kind from the car seat.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen now that I've had a chance to review it a little more, but I was just wondering if there was an official opinion on the use of seat protectors between the ACTUAL seat and the car seat regarding safety.

Thanks again!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That Brica one is insanely thick, I've found it causing install problems.
Here's a good review, though I do kind of wish we could do a LATCH install (I know how much work Heather put into this and don't wish her the same effort again for awhile, but I think LATCH just makes things work better, like, I have no problems with the Duomat or BRU mat with LATCH, just my experience!) http://carseatblog.com/21536/vehicle-seat-protectors-update-what-you-need-to-know/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC