Car seat issues with insurance. (was WIC)

Lovatic24

My friend got in a car accident a week ago. She is fine, her dd was not in the car at the time but her car seat was. The car was totaled and was not able to be driven after the accident so the car needed to replaced.

The person from WIC or whomever handles the carseats calls her and asks for the childs age (2.5), weight (~30lbs) and height (39in.). They tell her her that they will send her a car seat for the child.

A few days later they send a box to my friend and it contained a NBB!

She texted me very confused to check it out and I was shocked. I was sure that they would sent a Titan 65 but it was an evenflo booster. she couldn't go anywhere for a few days and I just let her borrow one of my car seats today.

The car seat people called her and said that she will need to go to what sounds like a car seat check event in order to get her car seat.

What went wrong? Any advice?

Last edited:
ADS

AllieK

My friend got in a car accident a week ago. She is fine, her dd was not in the car at the time but her car seat was. The car was totaled and was not able to be driven after the accident so the car needed to replaced.

The person from WIC or whomever handles the carseats calls her and asks for the childs age (2.5), weight (~30lbs) and height (39in.). They tell her her that they will send her a car seat for the child.

A few days later they send a box to my friend and it contained a NBB!

She texted me very confused to check it out and I was shocked. I was sure that they would sent a Titan 65 but it was an evenflo booster. she couldn't go anywhere for a few days and I just let her borrow one of my car seats today.

The car seat people called her and said that she will need to go to what sounds like a car seat check event in order to get her car seat.

What went wrong? Any advice?

Why did she go through WIC and not through the at-fault party's auto insurance?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lovatic24

Re: Car seat issues with WIC

The insurance decided she was at fault because she was the one who was "crossing traffic". She was turning and they ran a red light. They say that she should have waited for their light to be green, let them all go, and THEN tuned.

AllieK

The insurance decided she was at fault because she was the one who was "crossing traffic". She was turning and they ran a red light. They say that she should have waited for their light to be green, let them all go, and THEN tuned.

So she only has liability coverage then? Because even if she was at fault the insurance should still cover the seat if she had coverage for her vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

jjordan

It sounds to me like either a non-CPST or a CPST without current training is in charge of the car seat distribution. Depending on the seat she was sent, it is possible that the child meets the minimums on the box. What state is she in and what are the state's laws for child restraints? If it is illegal for the 2.5 year old to be in a nbb, then I'd take that approach when telling WIC that the seat is in appropriate.

Lovatic24

We are in Minnesota. On the car seat itself it says that a child has to at least four yeas old to use it.

Lovatic24

Ok, got some more information.
She gets her car seats from the car seat program through her insurance.
Apparently, Minnesota is a no-fault state. not sure what that means, but I hope it helps.

AllieK

Ok, got some more information.
She gets her car seats from the car seat program through her insurance.
Apparently, Minnesota is a no-fault state. not sure what that means, but I hope it helps.

So what I think your friend is talking about, is that she received a free car seat through her state health medicade insurance (called UCARE in MN). That program is required to provide seats to all those with children who are covered but the type of car seat is determined by the agency, from my understanding.

I still think it's worth pursuing the auto insurance company provided she had comprehensive insurance. The insurance company's job is to make you whole again, regardless of fault or state law (given the right coverage).

ETA: I'm not aware of an auto insurance company that provides free car seats to its policyholders but if that is the casecond please let me know what company it is!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

rin2809

In no-fault insurance, each insurance company compensates its own policyholders for the cost of minor injuries, regardless of who was at fault in the accident.

Basically, what it boils down to is that your friend's car insurance should actually be who is replacing the car seats. I would recommend that they call their broker. It should be a part of the insurance claim that was submitted for the vehicle. Most insurance companies will cover either the exact same seat again or a seat equivalent in price.

They may have to purchase it up front and be reimbursed, but I think that may depend on insurance companies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC