Question Car seat analysis paralysis -- help!

stlellen

Okay. First off, apologies, because I'm basically asking the same question I asked months ago, with only minor modifications because our needs have slightly changed. And this is a really long question, but I just had to get it all out ;)

I am now basically to the point of analysis paralysis and incapable of making a decision because I feel inundated with options and overwhelmed by my total cost :(

So, with that out of the way, on to my question! I have an immediate need for four car seats for two children: 3 year old, 30# and 1 year old, 23-ish#. Obviously extended rear-facing is very important to me.

I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue -- I have a Combi Coccoro for the 1 YO, but I need a new convertible for the 3 YO. Recs for a high weight limit but narrow car seat that will puzzle well with the Coccoro?

The kids spend the most amount of time in the Rogue, so if I'm to spend a lot on one car seat, it would be for this car -- something comfortable, durable, with a high weight limit. I would really like something with a non-rethread option.

My husband has a 2008 VW Jetta -- currently he has a Graco MyRide 65 for the older toddler, but there has been a melted crayon incident in the seat and I'm concerned that the wax got into the buckle mechanism. Cosmetically, it's all over the straps and the cover, but I'm really concerned about the harness functionality, so I think it's time to replace that. Plus, I kinda hate this seat -- twisted strap issues, etc ... So I need two seats that will play nicely with one another for this car that has a relatively narrow backseat.

My parents have a 2008(?) Ford Escape, also with a Graco MyRide 65 -- we just need another seat for this car. Something in a similar price range to the Graco MyRide.

With all three cars, I'd like the two seats to be next to one another, if at all possible, to allow for the possibility of a non-child riding in the back.

The convertible seats in Rogue and Jetta: what are my real options -- something narrow/slim, not bulky? Neither car has a terribly roomy backseat -- but would like to keep him RFing as long as possible -- and I just don't know what my best options are for a smaller car.

Help, please!! Any guidance and assistance that anyone can provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you, thank you!

ADS

henrietta

Have you considered one of the Diono Radians? I totally understand wanting non- rethread straps, but in most seats, this is a very simple process that you don't do very often at all, esp at 3 yrs old. The Radian is the narrowest and is most likely to allow you to seat an adult next to the kids in the back seat. It puzzles nicely w/lots of seats, including the My Ride and the Cocorro.

As for the crayon in the MyRide buckle...well, the buckle may be replaceable even if the harness isn't. Have you called Graco to ask? And you can scrape the crayon off the harness. I doubt dried on crayon is going to hurt anything. Many other things could and do, but I don't think crayon is a big deal. For the cover (not the harness, you can layer some paper towels over the crayon, then another thin cotton dishtowel or pillow case and quickly iron over it to warm up the crayon wax. It will adhere to the paper towel when warm enough, and then you peel the paper towel off, throw it away, and wash the cover like the instructions say to.

For your parent's car (and your hubby's too) for your 3 yr old, I'd look into the Evenflo Sure Ride. It's $99, narrow, easy to install, and will last longer than any other harnessed convertible seat b/c it is really tall and the harness is the tallest at 19.5 inches (only taller is the Frontier!). Hand down the My Ride.

Stelvis

Have you looked at the Graco Size 4 Me/Mysize 70/Headwise?

And I agree, call Graco for new straps and buckle on the Myride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC