Question Can't find a seat that works for us rear-facing

U

Unregistered

I have a little guy who just turned one in July. He weighs 23lbs and is 31" tall. He has now outgrown his Chicco Keyfit 30. I would like to keep him rear-facing but can't find a seat that works. I have tried the NextFit, the Boulevard, and the Corocco. Here are our issues--1. Older vehicle (2002 Landcruiser) with no LATCH so we have to use lap/shoulder belts. 2. Tall parents (5'9" and 6'3") and lastly, we have 4 kiddos. So we have 2 kids in the 3rd row, one of whom still needs to be buckled in by a parent. So, the convertible seat must either go in the middle or in behind the driver so that we have the ability to fold down the right middle seat for access to the 3rd row. I have never had good luck with using the metal locking clips to lock of the shoulder belts so I need to stick with seats with belt lock-offs. The NextFit installed wonderfully, but was too large to fit behind the driver's seat, and to wide for the middle (couldn't fold the right side seat forward). The Boulevard had a similar problem. The Corocco fit in the middle, but after and hour of sweating, trying to get it installed properly, it seemed right, but all I had to do was pull the top of the seat toward the back seat, and it completely tipped over and fell out of the belts. My question now is, is it better to keep him in the KeyFit 30 for a few more months even though he is technically too tall for it (his head is still more than one inch from the top) or is it better just to turn him around and face front in a seat that installs properly? Is there legitimate data out there regarding the actual incidence of life threatening injuries to children facing forward before 2 years of age that could have been prevented if rear-facing? Thanks for the info.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! I bet the members of this board will be able to help you brainstorm to figure out a seat that can work for you.

I don't have much time right now, so I'll bump your thread and ask if you could please also give us the ages, weights, and the carseats for your other kids, because sometimes seats can puzzle together and that can buy you some room.

This blog post has links to the research and info about why rear-facing until at least 2 years old is important: http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

This video is about a minute long, but really explains what happens to young forward-facers in a crash:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck with your carseat research! :)

Last edited:

Rebekah

Hi, does your vehicle have switchable retractors? If you pull the shoulder belt all the way out, then allow some to go back in, can you pull the belt back out again? If the belt "catches", then you have switchable retractors and can install without using a locking clip or lock-off. The best seats to try for a middle installation would be a Diono Radian, Cosco Scenera, or Safety 1st onSide Air. They are all very slim. Any of them should also work behind the driver's seat. The Radian can be installed more upright with the use of the angle adjuster (sold separately). The Scenera and onSide Air both have ~15" top slots and are outgrown completely at 40lbs., but would get you a little more time depending on the age/size of your child in the 3rd row who still needs buckling help.

As for FF injuries that could have been prevented, take a look at Joel's story. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos - YouTube[/ame]
A 1yo should most definitely still be RF. HTH

Rebekah

I just searched for the vehicle manual to your vehicle, and it says that you do have switchable retractors (pg. 73), so you should have more options for seats now. Always check your vehicle just to make sure, of course. It also says on pg. 78-79 that you do have lower anchors in some seating positions. Again, check your vehicle to make sure.

If you do not currently have the manual to your vehicle, this is the link for the one that google found. http://ebookbrowsee.net/toyota-land-cruiser-owners-manual-2002-pdf-d30676291

MommyShannon

What are the ages of your other children and what seats are they in. You might like putting the 1 year old in the 3rd row and having a booster rider in the seat that needs to move to access the 3rd row. I put our 1 year old into the 3rd row through the back of our van or climbing into the 3rd row and sitting on the edge of my son's seat.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello and welcome!

If your baby has outgrown the KeyFit, it cannot be used at all anymore. It is certainly not safe to use it with his head outside the shell or even close to the edge of the shell.

Have you tried the Diono Radian with an angle adjuster? With the angle adjuster, it should allow for your driver's and front passenger's seats to be fairly far back. It should also allow for you to have that extra room next to it that you need.

Jan06twinmom

Hello and welcome!

If your baby has outgrown the KeyFit, it cannot be used at all anymore. It is certainly not safe to use it with his head outside the shell or even close to the edge of the shell.

My interpretation is that her baby still fits in the seat. He is under the weight limit and his head is more than an inch below the top of the seat. However, he is 31 inches tall and therefore over the overall height limit listed in the manual. Is it safe or unsafe for her to use the keyfit for a 31in tall baby who fits in the seat otherwise?

Jeni-GAcpst

Is it safe or unsafe for her to use the keyfit for a 31in tall baby who fits in the seat otherwise?

Unsafe. The Chicco manual specifically tells us there are three ways to outgrow the seat: sitting height, overall weight, or overall height.
In order to use the seat safely, all three size components must be met. A child 31" tall is over the height requirement of the seat.

ebp913

The Radian would be a good choice I think but I just wanted to let you know that you can tether the Cocorro so it doesn't tip like that. I tether ours RFing and love it. It's so nice and small!

EmmaGrace'sMom

I think the Radian would be a good choice, it's narrow so it will fit well in the middle. I would recommend getting the angle adjuster to go with it, it will make a big difference in how much front to back space it takes up.

I would also recommend finding a good tech in your area. They can help you make sure you're installing properly. I can't remember where to find the list of techs at the moment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC