Question Can we hold empty booster seat in place with latch?

JCtheOT

Our 7y/o finally outgrew the height limit for 5pt restraints in his Graco Nautilus, so now the straps are off & we're using it as a high back booster. Since the seatbelt only holds the carseat in place while he's in it & seatbelted in, I worry about it being a loose projectile when he's not. The seatbelt goes through the red opening at the shoulder, but that only keeps it so still when the car is moving. Can I use the latch system to at least loosely hold it in place so that it doesn't move all around while I drive (obviously knowing that it's not securing him in, just holding the carseat while it's empty)?

I know you're not supposed to use the latch system & seatbelt to hold carseats simultaneously, but I'd think it is fine for this purpose. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, should we keep using the tether at the top? The manual was of no help to me about either question. I just don't want the Nautilus flying all around in sudden turns/stops or in an accident (especially since our other son is in the same row of our car!). Sorry if this answer is here somewhere, but I couldn't find it after much searching. Thanks. :)

--J.C.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC