Question Can lap belt be too low?

U

Unregistered

My son who is 10 has, for the first time, started to complain about being in a booster seat. He is all torso and his legs are short. His knees do not reach the edge of the seat. I decided to show him why he needed to stay in the booster by doing the 5-step test. He uses a no back booster (a graco booster, can't remember the name) 1/2 the time and the Dodge Grand Caravan built-in pop up seat 1/2 the time (it depends on what other kids are in the van).

We did the 5-step test in the Caravan seat and it seems like the lap belt sits further down his thighs than they should. I don't remember this last year when he started using the pop-up seat. Also, have not heard of it being a problem for others. Is this unsafe? Also, I was thinking of getting the safety 1st incognito. Should I make him use it 100% of the time?

Thanks.

(I used to have a log-in but I cant remember it. I might have been themysciran.)

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes, the lap belt can be too low if there is a gap between the belt and the child's pelvis significant enough that the hips will move forward in a crash until the belt catches them rather than staying back tight against the seat bight. That only tends to be a problem for older kids in boosters though, not 5 stepping kids.

You can post a pic if you want opinions about belt fit if you like.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC