Can 3 carseats fit in a 2009 Volvo S40?

N

noelstorer

My husband and I just found out we are expecting #3. We however, can't afford to buy a bigger car right now. With that being said, does anyone know if 3 carseats will fit in the back seat of a Volvo S40? When this baby is born, our daughters will be 31 months and 19 months and then we will have an infant. We were thinking maybe 2 Diono Radians FF, and then a Chicco Infant seat. If we need 3 Dionos, we will get them. 3 new carseats is lots cheaper than a new car! Thanks for any help!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Congratulations on your upcoming Baby #3! :) I don't know how a 3 across situation would work in the S40. I checked car-seat.org's 3 across thread and didn't see an entry for the S40.

Rather than 3 Radians, you might find that you have better luck with something like a Graco My Ride or two to puzzle over the Radian. A My Ride + Radian facing the same direction takes up less space than 2 Radians next to each other, because the My Ride is able to overlap the Radian.

Another narrow seat to consider is the Combi Coccoro. It will not last as long rear-facing and forward-facing as other convertibles, but it is very narrow.

The Baby Trend infant seat is narrow, I believe. I don't know much about it, including whether or not it is difficult to install with a seatbelt. In order to install 3 seats, you'll likely need to do all seatbelt installs, because you can sort of move the seats closer to the door while installing to buy a little more room with seatbelt installs over LATCH installs.

When the baby is born, the 19 month old should still be rear-facing, and ideally the 31 month old will still be rear-facing as well. This blog post has links to many resources to explain why the new recommended minimum for forward-facing is at least 2 years old, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommending until 4 years old as long as the child fits in his or her convertible.

The My Ride should last most kids until 3-4 years old rear-facing, and the Radian will last longer. The Radian has an angle adjuster that can be purchased separately so more upright install for older children can be attained. The Classic Model Britax seats (available at Target) should puzzle with a Radian as well, but they have lower rear-facing weight limits than the My Ride (35 versus 40 pounds). I'm not sure if the newer Britax seats puzzle with the Radians, and while they have 40 pound rear-facing weight limits, they have shorter shells than the My Ride, so they won't last as long rear-facing.

My own kids were able to rear-face depending on our car seats in each vehicle until the 3.5 to 4 year old range. :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC