Buy more Radians or put in booster?

U

Unregistered

I have a tiny 6.5 year-old in a Radian (we have 4, they are all the highest weight limit, don't know exact model off the top of my head) 2 in our cars and one with each set of grandparents.

Our (again, tiny!) 20-month-old is finally outgrowing his Keyfit.

My plan for the grandparents is to rear-face the Radians and buy Ride Safer Travel vests so they don't have to have two permanent car seats installed.

Should I buy two more Radians for us or is my 6.5 year old fine in a booster? We used a Maestro as his travel seat, is he ready/safe enough in that seat for everyday?

What would you guys do??

Thanks!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I have a tiny 6.5 year-old in a Radian (we have 4, they are all the highest weight limit, don't know exact model off the top of my head) 2 in our cars and one with each set of grandparents.

Our (again, tiny!) 20-month-old is finally outgrowing his Keyfit.

My plan for the grandparents is to rear-face the Radians and buy Ride Safer Travel vests so they don't have to have two permanent car seats installed.

Should I buy two more Radians for us or is my 6.5 year old fine in a booster? We used a Maestro as his travel seat, is he ready/safe enough in that seat for everyday?

What would you guys do??

Thanks!

Hi and welcome! How are you using the Maestro? The Maestro is a combination seat (a seat that is forward-facing with a harness that later becomes a booster). If your 6 year old is using the Maestro with the harness, that is exactly the same as using the Radian forward-facing with the harness. :)

If you are using the Maestro in booster mode, then as long as your 6.5 year old is mature enough to sit properly throughout every car ride, then a booster that positions the seatbelt well is a good choice for full-time seat. Some would suggest that your 6.5 year old be at least 40 pounds before using a booster (for instance, that's a minimum in some states & in Canada), but provided that your child meets the weight minimums for the booster you are using, then he would be within the guidelines for using that seat.

My son has been using a booster full-time since he was 6.5, and I've been happy with that situation, but there are some kids in that age range who aren't quite ready for full-time boostering, but other seats are worth considering, given that you already convertibles to rear-face your younger child; you could look into another Maestro or other combinations seats, like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier. :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you! We have only used the Maestro as a forward-facing harness for travel. I was thinking of buying another one instead of two more Radians. We would use it harnessed for a while. My kiddo doesn't mind and I feel better. It will then be his booster.
Sounds like that is a good plan!

Thank you so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC