Question Buckle position questions

trinalb

I was re-reading my Diono RXT manual recently and saw that it requires that any child over 30 lbs have their RXT buckle positioned in the furthest slot away from their body. Why is this? For under 30 lbs it specifies to use the slot which causes the buckle strap to be in line under the buckle, or angled toward the child at the bottom, and states that angling away from the child is incorrect positioning. Both of my kids (6y1m and 52ish lbs, 3y4m and 37ish lbs) have the "proper" fit stated above in the middle slot and, when I move it to the slot furthest away from the CR back because they are above 30 lbs, the strap angles away from the child at the bottom, creating a gap between child and buckle strap. Is this really what I need to do? Should I fill the gap with anything? I don't have any photos of this, sorry.

I was also reading in our new Britax Pinnacle's manual that the buckle should be in the position closest to the child's body, but not under the child. When I tried this with my son, however, I was concerned about the positioning. There are only two possible slots to position the buckle in. When I place the buckle in the slot closer to the back of the CR, the buckle does go just slightly under DS's bottom which, as I understand, is not allowable. However, when I position the buckle in the slot further from the CR back, there is a huge gap--almost a full hand breadth!--between the buckle and my son's body. That just doesn't seem safe to me! Am I really supposed to put the buckle that far away from him and, if so, should I be filling the gap with something? Here are some photos:

Photos showing buckle strap in the rear position, extending just slightly under DS's bum
IMG_3219_zpscc77ccb0.jpg

IMG_3218_zpsff11472f.jpg

IMG_3217_zpscd4f02b7.jpg

Photos showing the huge gap created when using buckle slot furthest from the seat back
IMG_3216_zps378e90ee.jpg

IMG_3215_zpsabb74e30.jpg

Incidentally, I do not understand at all how this CR could possibly fit a 2 year old, 25 lb child as is the minimum stated age/weight. The buckle is very long and, even on my 6yo, 52ish lb DS, doesn't give an ideal over-the-leg (not on the abdomen) fit for the lower portion of the harness. It seemed like I needed to tighten the harness uncomfortably in order to get it to actually position somewhat over his legs. The buckle strap is also very wide because it has the cover on it, and it doesn't look comfortable between his legs. Is all that normal?

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC