Question Britax Pavilion/Blvd or Diono Radian RXT?

wdgill

Hello all,

I am trying to decide between the Britax Pavilion (or Blvd, still can't tell the difference) and the Diono Radian RXT.

My son is currently 7 months old and is about 13-14 pounds and around 26 inches in height (he was a 3 pound preemie at birth). He is currently in a Graco Snugride and we plan to keep him there until he outgrows the height requirement (29 inches). However, he is growing so fast we know we need to find a convertible car seat now! I currently drive a 2009 Toyota Corolla and plan on putting the seat in the middle or behind the passenger seat.

Both seem like very safe seats. However, my husband and I are concerned about the sides of the Diono Radian. They don't seem to offer as much protection as they do not come up as far as other models.

However, I *think* the Diono is a little safer than the Britax because of the steel beams. The Britax seems to offer more side protection though. My son is also possibily facing a disability where he may have to wear small leg braces during his toddler years and I know the Radian has more leg room.

The Britax seems safer for smaller infants while the Diono seems better for toddlers and such. However, we would just like to buy one seat.

Any suggestions, input? Thanks so much!

ADS

LoveMyBoyOB

I have an RXT, so of course I'm going to suggest it ;) lol

It's a great seat, and is able to be used from 5 lbs, so your baby would be fine to go in it when he outgrows his current seat. It's rf weight limit is higher than that of any Britax seat, which is obviously more ideal.

The large sides and side impact protection that Britax offers is a great feature, yes, but there is no studies to show that it is for sure safer than a seat without that feature.

Both are great seats, don't get me wrong. I just find a Diono to be a better buy and will last longer because its a taller shell.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but I have absolutely no complaints about the diono.. At all. We love love love it!!

Syllieann

I have both and I do prefer the britax for a smaller child and the radian for a larger toddler. If this is for an only child and you're looking for the one seat that will last to booster age, without a doubt, the radian is the better buy. I really wouldn't worry about the sides if you're going to install in the center. If you plan to have another child soon, you could do the britax now and then the radian later, handing the britax down. The britax is generally easier to use but I wouldn't choose it if I wasn't planning to follow up with something else later. Mainly due to its lack of leg room, shorter rf height, and shorter ff height.

jacqui276

If he does end up needing leg braces, the Radian would probably work much better than the Britax seats. If you are putting the seat in the center, I wouldn't worry as much about the sides as if you were planning to put it outboard (although there is no testing to say that one is any better than the other as far as side impacts go). We also have no idea if steel versus plastic is safer, as again, there isn't any testing to determine that. It's possible that the plastic moving with the child more so than the steel could absorb some of the impact or the steel being so strong would be sturdier, possibly also protecting the child. It's all speculation. I have two Radians and have owned multiple plastic seats, so don't really have an opinion one way or another.
He is pretty small so both seats would likely last him a long time. You may need an angle adjuster to install a Radian in the back of a corolla if those of you in the front need the leg room. Radians fit tiny babies well. My son was 4 months old and roughly 18lbs when I got mine and he fit quite well in it, but others have also had success with newborns in them.

aept

If he does end up needing leg braces, the Radian would probably work much better than the Britax seats. If you are putting the seat in the center, I wouldn't worry as much about the sides as if you were planning to put it outboard (although there is no testing to say that one is any better than the other as far as side impacts go). We also have no idea if steel versus plastic is safer, as again, there isn't any testing to determine that. It's possible that the plastic moving with the child more so than the steel could absorb some of the impact or the steel being so strong would be sturdier, possibly also protecting the child. It's all speculation. I have two Radians and have owned multiple plastic seats, so don't really have an opinion one way or another.
He is pretty small so both seats would likely last him a long time. You may need an angle adjuster to install a Radian in the back of a corolla if those of you in the front need the leg room. Radians fit tiny babies well. My son was 4 months old and roughly 18lbs when I got mine and he fit quite well in it, but others have also had success with newborns in them.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'm a physical therapist and I've worked with plenty of little ones who have used braces. They are generally not too clunky anymore but I would opt for the Radian as pp suggested in case you desire more legroom. Also if he has any delays that might make it trickier for him to climb into and out of the radian by himself (as he gets to be a little boy) then the lower sides are nice for parents helping to lift the kiddo in.
Also I've owned radians and a corolla (2003) and Prius (2011) and you will get a good fit either center or passenger side. You will want the angle adjuster (for an older baby with good head control) if you want the front seats all or most of the way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

nataliem257

Btw, the only difference between the pavilion and the boulevard is the pavilion is the boulevard cs rebranded- cs stands for click safe, which is some kind of clicking mechanism that let's you know when the harness is tight as you pull the strap. Other than that, same seat.

MommyShannon

I love my Britax seats for little kiddos. With leg braces, more room might be nice though. Other seats with good legroom to consider are
True Fit Premier - very tall, lots of legroom, 35lb rf limit but probably plenty for your little guy (its in my siggy) Its a lot wider than the radian though.
Pria-tall, lots of legroom, 40lb rf

Kel

I have a Raidian, I like. It might be great for leg braces.

I do have a graco my ride 65 that my 2.5 yr sits I n. It's a great seat and has very high sides. I love it. My little guy loves the cup holders for toys, lol. It also has MORE leg room than the Britax.

It's listed at toys r us this week for 129 on sale. It a beautiful dark purple and black cover, my son LOVES it. It's super soft.

Anyway, for that low price, you can have your high sides and leg room. You can then reevaluate in a couple of years if you need something else.

nataliem257

If you have any doubt about the protection of the myride, YouTube their side impact crash tests. In my untrained opinion, they appear to perform better from the side than any of the seats. Made me want to go buy one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC