Britax bracing? Help!

Lee-B-

I was installing my friends infant bucket yesterday as a practice since I'll be driving them to music and swimming all fall. They have a 14lb, 4month old in a britax infant bucket (not sure other seat specs) the seat came with a matching stroller and seemed rather small (compared to our Safety 1st on board air).

Anyways. I installed it on the passenger side of my 99 camry next to my daughters radian, center installed. I didn't use the base.

I asked my friend if she was happy with the install once I finished. Her response was to ask if the front seat comes back further. This seat was tiny and there was ton of room so I was confused and asked what she meant and she said in her friends car they install it with the front seat all the way back so the car seat is wedged into the front seat and then the seat doesn't move at all.

I was a little shocked. So I mentioned to check the car manual and car seat to confirm it is ok, as that is called bracing and isn't always safe. I didn't know what else to say but mentioned that most infant seats are designed to move forward into the back of the carseat in a cocoon effect to keep baby safe. I explained that if the cars seat is holding the car seat down then all the glass from back window would fall right down on the baby, if the seat folds up baby will be protected. I am not 100% positive this is quite accurate but I figured it gave her an easy to understand scenario. I am also not fully sure of the reasoning for not bracing an infant seat etc. Is it to cocoon baby, or lessen the impact etc.

Later she was going home with another friend (who will be helping with rides in fall) I had the 2 of them install it in the other car since I wouldn't be there on those days. I was a tad worried as the mom put her son in the back seat then put the lap belt through the belt path on the car seat and buckled it...but she hadn't yet pulled the seat belt all the way out to put it in lock mode. So I mentioned that we had to confirm the seat belts lock in this car...as if they didn't then we had a big problem and would have to install it differently. The other mom (who isn't to read up on car seat installs but had hers installed at a clinic so got some key info) mentioned right away oh yes these belts do ratchet. So I pulled the shoulder belt out all the way and let it in a bit and commented ohhh good we are safe to use this seat belt so the other mom could see what I was talking about (she was standing right there).

Anyways. I am now worried that they have been installing this baby seat in other cars without a locking seat belt by wedging it behind the front seat so it doesn't appear to move.

I will be installing it twice a week and I plan to install it a few times verbalizing exactly what I am doing so she hears all the key steps and info then I figure I will have her install it while I watch and talk her through and after awhile have her install all on her own while I watch to see that she is doing it right.

But, will that be enough to have her transfer the steps to another car? I am very safety conscious and my husband usually teases me, but when I mentioned I was worried about this boy in other cars and I mentioned it seemed they weren't even locking the seat belt...even he commented yes, ok that is really not safe.

Any advice on how I can get them installing it safer without pissing her off by sounding like I am bossing her around and critiquing her? She did say her husband always installs the seat in their car...and he is an IT guy so I have the feeling he's read up on it and is doing it safer than she is when she is out in other cars (I hope).

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Possibly playing it off like YOU were the one who wasn't sure, so you researched, would work?

"So, Mary, I am so excited to get to care for your little treasure soon! It has been a while since I installed an infant seat in my car, and I just couldn't seem to remember how to best install an infant seat without a base, so I went and researched. I wanted to make sure little Bobby will be safe in my car!"

"Did you know that there are several different kinds of seatbelts, but that in 'more recent' models of cars, the most common belt is the ALR belt. It's the kind we're all used to, one that moves freely until an accident, when it locks. Well, I learned that even though that system works well for adults and boostered children, it won't work properly for kids in seatbelts. Instead, I learned that you must pull the belt all the way out and let it retract in order to "lock" it to hold the seat in. I thought that was pretty cool that it does that!"

"I was also not sure if it was okay that the carseat touches the front seat, so I researched that, as well. I had no idea that the front seat can hold airbag sensors, and even the airbag, so many vehicles prohibit carseats from touching, especially hard, the front seat. Wow, I didn't realize that! I guess I should double-check that little Bobby's seat will install in my car without touching the front seat!"

Do you think that would work? To make it sound as if you didn't know, either, so you researched?

Do you think she'd be open to coming here? Or would she be open to you asking if you can post a picture of the seat on here to have us "visually check" it?

Lee-B-

I will definitely try that route! To clarify she is a friend of a friend of mine that happens to be on mat leave at the same time as me so we've been hanging out. Since she doesn't drive I've offered to drive her and her son to swim and music class 2x a week...the mom will always be with us in the car.

The awkwardness is that since she's in the car she may go to secure the child herself...and I am not comfortable to drive the little guy when he is clearly not secure. As well, I'm concerned about his safety in other cars...I know a childless friend of her often takes them out so the 2 of them have been securing him (using the bracing).

I will see if I can get her to come here but I am not convinced she would. I think the saying I didn't know any of it and researched it might help her feel less lectured!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC