Boosters and airbags

U

Unregistered

I have a 7.5 yo who is picked up by his grandfather from school one day a week. Grandpa has a pickup truck with sideways facing jump seats in the "bonus area" of the cab so I know DS cannot sit there. So he sits in the front seat with the airbag turned off (has since he was in a regular car seat). My question is, should the airbag continue to be left off or should it really be turned on now that he's just in a regular booster (backless)? The adult seatbelt fits him very well in his booster and he sits properly in it too. He's almost 52" and weighs 57lbs.

ADS

Keeyamah

His bones are the bones of a 7 yr old, so they aren't as strong as an adults. I would leave the airbag shut off until he is much older (like in his teens).

ahgirls

Airbags deploy at 200 mph. That's a lot of force coming out at an adult, who's bones are fully fused together. It can do severe/permanent damage to a child's body .

My dd was 13 yrs before she sat in front. Now at almost 15 she still chooses to push her seat all way back to be further from the airbag.

henrietta

I think it's safest to still keep it turned off AND make sure grandpa pushes that passenger seat as far back as it will go for when your son rides there. The further away from the dash and windshield, the better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC