Booster recommendations.

MySillyKids

So the last time I bought a carseat was 2009.

She's currently in a britax frontier (from 2009) harnessed, that's expiring this year.

Details:
will turn 7 at the end of this month,
45lbs (wears size 6 skinny pants, and size 6/7 shirts.)
16 inch torso height
hypermobile (very flexible, not usually an issue, for this case however)
RARELY in the car. Likes seriously, maybe 15 minutes a week, if that. seriously.

I don't care weather it's a harnessed seat, or a booster (and she doesn't know the difference either) or a combo seat of harnessed/booster.

What's new, cool, and would fit what we need?

Thanks! :)

ADS

bubbaray

Britax Parkway is my go-to. Fits my skinny girls well and it's comfy. Doesn't need a vehicle headrest. Comes in a LATCHable model if you need that.

We also have the Sunshine Kids/Diono Monterey (renamed now), which is reportedly equally comfy. However it requires a vehicle headrest and was incompatible with the headrests on my and DHs vehicles so it wasn't used for a long time. I recently started using it again with DD2 (instead of her Frontier) by turning the vehicle headrest backwards. I probably wouldn't buy a Monterey again for this reason -- I prefer being able to use the seat with the vehicle headrest removed rather than trying to find a work-around (which probably isn't technically correct anyways).

MySillyKids

Oh, forgot to mention she's in a captains chair in my Honda Odyssey! :) We have a parkway already, looking for something different! :)

Carolinadaisy

You could look at a Recaro Performance booster. Looks comfy and has lots of color choices. Or a Diono Cambria booster if you want to spend a little less.

Dillipop

You could look at a Recaro Performance booster. Looks comfy and has lots of color choices. Or a Diono Cambria booster if you want to spend a little less.

We have the precursor to the performance booster- the probooster- and really like it. Fits our average sized 8 year old really well and has for the past year and a half.

jordansmom

Not sure how much you want to spend, but we just started booster training DS1 in a Jane Montecarlo hbb. Super padded and comfy. Rigid latch and fits very nicely in our Ody captains chair.

aeormsby

I love our Performance Booster. My DS just turned 7 and has been using it for a year.

The Frontier has a 9 year expiration though, doesn't it?

melniemi

I love our Performance Booster but the seat depth might be too much. My daughter wears a 7 pant, and it's almost too deep for her. She's okay when awake, but slouches a little when asleep. I wish I'd kept my oobr, I think it'd fit her well.

The Vivo isn't a good fit for her either. Seat depth is okay but because the vehicle seat is deep and the vivo sits so low, her legs stick straight out.

I've been tempted to try a pwsgl or something else? But I just don't know what. My 5.5yo 37# fits great in his fr90. My almost 8yo fits great in it too. But she likes a booster now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Frontier has a 9 year expiration though, doesn't it?

Yep, I bought mine for my 2 yo to use till she was 11. Of course handed it off to another kid, c'est la vie.

That said, it's kind of meh as a booster, and I never discourage buying new seats whenever there's an excuse :cool:

aeormsby

Yep, I bought mine for my 2 yo to use till she was 11. Of course handed it off to another kid, c'est la vie.

That said, it's kind of meh as a booster, and I never discourage buying new seats whenever there's an excuse :cool:

We're using ours as a booster. Our truck has low headrests so it will probably be in use until it expires.

I agree on the buying new seats though, I'm getting kind of sad that I'm running out of seats to buy for my kids, I don't have an Incognito yet though...

Athena

My daughter would strongly disagree! :) What's meh about it? It's awesome height alone makes it anything but meh. Plus, it has two nice cup holders and I'm told it's very comfortable ... and did I mention the incredible height it offers? :D . It's by far her favorite seat. It's not a good choice for short kids (as it sounds like OP's is), but I'm incredibly thankful to have such a wonderful option for my tall kids, almost to the point of having panic attacks that something will happen to them now that they are no longer made. :(

That said, I wish there were better dedicated booster options for us. After all, who doesn't like a new seat. ;) But for tall kids, there just isn't much to choose from.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I loved the FR as a booster in my vehicle, because my vehicle had infinitely adjustable recline and shoulderbelt height settings. For people with less adjustable vehicles, it's got that problems with slack in the shoulderbelt, or getting locked up to easily when kids try to lean over and buckle themselves. It just gets tiring trying to defend its honor as a booster sometimes :p.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC