Blessing to use backless booster for 6-year-old?

4BabyUnit

DD is 6-years-old, 46 lb. When she is in my car, we are driving longer distances on a notoriously dangerous highway, so I've kept her harnessed in a Nautilus and likely will for a while longer. HOWever, it is my husband who usually takes her to and from school each day. He switches vehicles frequently from his work truck (with full back seat) to our old Subaru Outback. She has been in a Graco Maestro in booster mode for about 6 months. In terms of proper posture, etc., she has done well with that booster, but she can't at ALL buckle herself in and it takes her a very long time to UNbuckle. The frequency of car changes and the fact that he can't walk her in to school anymore (and therefore needs her to be able to unbuckle and get out of the car more quickly in the drop-off line) is making him really want a backless booster for their daily commute. How do you feel about this? I FEEL okay with it right now, but I get a little skeeved out when the roads are snowy and may ask him to switch back for winter. I'd love to hear your input. Thanks!

ADS

YinzerMama

I don't have any hands-on experience with the evenflo maestro but my kids have all been able to self buckle in a graco turbo booster from early on. (Well, the 3 oldest kids at least...) I am going to guess it has something to do with the shape of the booster and not the fact that is has a back. Personally I would not be comfortable letting a 6yo go backless.

Alternatively to a different booster you might just want to devote an hour to practicing in the driveway?

What is the problem exactly? If the buckle is disappearing under the booster and she has to dig I have read of people tying a sock around the stalk to sort of prop it into an easier place. There is also something you can buy called a buckle biter to help.

It really depends on why she is having difficulty though.

I doubt a backless booster will make much difference.

4BabyUnit

We have devoted enough time to practice. The problem is not that it disappears down into the seat...it is just too far behind the car seat. It's as if the car's seatbelt buckle positions are just really narrow or something. Also. the belt guides are very difficult for her (lap and shoulder). She has had to ride in boosters before for last minute needed help from friends, and she was able to buckler herself into them (two different kinds I'm assuming just b/c it was two different people). But, I hear ya'...sounds like a no go for you. Good to know. I appreciate your input.

I don't have any hands-on experience with the evenflo maestro but my kids have all been able to self buckle in a graco turbo booster from early on. (Well, the 3 oldest kids at least...) I am going to guess it has something to do with the shape of the booster and not the fact that is has a back. Personally I would not be comfortable letting a 6yo go backless.

Alternatively to a different booster you might just want to devote an hour to practicing in the driveway?

What is the problem exactly? If the buckle is disappearing under the booster and she has to dig I have read of people tying a sock around the stalk to sort of prop it into an easier place. There is also something you can buy called a buckle biter to help.

It really depends on why she is having difficulty though.

I doubt a backless booster will make much difference.

MomToEliEm

I always preferred a highback booster for my kids, but I did let them use a backless occasionally starting at age 5, primarily with the babysitter or with friends. Backless boosters are very safe, and some studies seem to indicate that there really isn't a safety benefit (http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/)

If you think a backless would help with buckling, give it a try. For me personally (I am not a tech), I would probably try it for a week or so, and then revert back to a highback if it didn't seem to help.

4BabyUnit

I appreciate your input as well as that link. I had found that link earlier, but it wasn't working properly. Got to read it in its entirety this time. Made my head hurt, but I read it :)

I always preferred a highback booster for my kids, but I did let them use a backless occasionally starting at age 5, primarily with the babysitter or with friends. Backless boosters are very safe, and some studies seem to indicate that there really isn't a safety benefit (http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/)

If you think a backless would help with buckling, give it a try. For me personally (I am not a tech), I would probably try it for a week or so, and then revert back to a highback if it didn't seem to help.

MommyShannon

How tall is your DD? My DD didn't fit as well in a backless until she was over 50". She also didn't sit well enough to use one regularly until almost 8. My DS has some hbbs he can buckle and some he can't. DD was the same way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC