big wreck... need new seats.

Cryssy Jane

Posting on my client's behalf. Yes, i am a tech but am curious to see what other options other in the know people would suggest.

This weekend one of my clients was in a roll over accident with both kiddos. Kiddos stats: Issy, 23 months, 23/24lbs wearing 12-18 month tops, was rf in a combi coccoro. Toro, 3 years 7 months, 45lbs, wearing 5t top, was FF in a radian rxt.

Everyone is ok (thank goodness) just bumps and bruises here and there. I'm not sure what insurance she has but reminded her that she needs to get insurance to pay for new car seats and to not use the ones that were in the accident.

She is currently borrowing a blvd 70 for issy (has around 4-5 inches of torso growth before outgrowing) and a rxt for toro however I can't loan those out for long as we'll need them here.

Assuming she'd get around the same pricing as market for new seats (approx $260 each) what would you suggest she look at? The fr90 does not work well for T as he noodles when he sleeps, although she has very slanted seats in her vehicle that may help with that. I is pretty tiny for her age and it is preferred to keep her rf, I do feel that a radian would be overkill for her. She drives a small sedan, however back seat front to back space is not an issue (we had the rxt in there rf for T with AA without issue).

Thoughts? Suggestions? I have a list building but would happily add to it or confirm my thoughts as well.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Honestly, regardless of the size of the child, as a small sedan owner I find the Radian to be my best bet (other than a Coccoro which is just as good of a fit). If the Radian works well for the vehicle I wouldn't pass it up just because the child is petite. But if she's not into super-extended rear facing then just replacing the Coccoro might not be a bad idea either.

Is the FR85 more reclined than the FR90? I wonder whether that would be a better choice for the 3 year old.

MommyShannon

He is a big 3 year old! I'd definitely get a Frontier 85 or 90. If mom is ok doing a LBP install of the 85, I'd get it. It's very comfy and reclined for sleeping. If she'd rather not have the complicated install, get a 90. Even if he noodles, he will be restrained and probably not care. I wouldn't get another radian or other combo seats with that torso.
For her just about any 40lb limit seat would be good. I'd probably get a Britax or Radian for rear tethering or maybe the NextFit or Peg or...oh the possibilities with a short torsoed kid.

Cryssy Jane

the problem with the fr90 at least is that he noodles so much when he sleeps (and is a huge car sleeper) that his head is completely under the head wings. I'm truly not thinking it would be a good seat for him. He did a smidge better in my fr85 when I had it but not by much. He slumped in the radian ff in my car, but not in mom's car due to the shape of her seats.

The issue with a radian in her car rf is it eats up enough room that her larger 13 year old son cannot sit in the passenger seat. She is pretty tiny, second slots in a rf radian with infant inserts.. I was thinking maybe the headwise/size4me graco clones as they're on sale at target right now and she needs something soon soon. She would prefer something other than the coccoro as she despises the puzzle buckle.

jjordan

I admit I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "noodle"ing, but would a seat like the Prosport help at all? It's not as tall as the Frontier but maybe she could see how much growing room it has?

Does she like the Boulevard? I love Britax seats for small kids, personally, so that would be a good option IMO. I also like the looks of the Nextfit, but I haven't used it, just have seen it in stores and read about it. I would say the Peg Perego is enough out of the $260 price range that I'd probably skip it.

Cryssy Jane

He essentially slumps so bad he might as well be a wiggly noodle. Like a lack of core strength maybe. He just can't keep himself completely upright when asleep. If that makes more sense.

She loves the blvd, doesn't have any issues with it. Sissy has a good 4-5 inches or so before she's outgrown it rf which could last her a long time.

She's calling insurance to see what the next steps are. I have her crashed seats and she's currently borrowing seats from me until we can get some ordered for her.

I don't have the picture I thought I did of the crazy slump in the fr90, but here he is in the rxt.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130903_180706.png
    ForumRunner_20130903_180706.png
    450 KB · Views: 44

HappyHoo

As long as he's in the harness, being a noodle when sleeping is okay. And the Frontier is more reclined I believe than the Radian FF - I know the 85 is anyway.

So I'd still probably have a Frontier as a top choice if possible.

Cryssy Jane

As long as he's in the harness, being a noodle when sleeping is okay. And the Frontier is more reclined I believe than the Radian FF - I know the 85 is anyway.

So I'd still probably have a Frontier as a top choice if possible.

I don't feel that having his head significantly under the headwings is okay. I don't know the safety specs but I'm not confident in having his head pinned under the headwings.

I pulled the Radian and am having her try one of my fr90s to see if he has that same kind of slump in her car. Her vehicle seats are very sloped so it is possible that he won't.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC