Better seats but on the cheaper side?

jay_bee

I came here looking for a infant seat but I think my older boys could be in safer seats. My oldest has been in a backless booster since he was 2 and I now know that's very bad :eek:... But I'm hoping to do better.

My boys are with other people at the moment
but K is 5, about 50lbs and wearing a size 7 in clothing, he's the biggest kid in his class. He sits great in his booster now. He's in a harmony something, it has red flames...

R is 35lbs and 3 feet tall. He's in a Evenflo Maestro. He's only on the 2nd from bottom harness slots.

What would you all recommend? I'll get whatever they need but the cheaper the better.
Thanks for any help.

ADS

MotoMommaNH

The 5 year old is perfectly safe in his booster provided its not expired/recalled, provides good belt fit and he sits correctly for the entire ride. If you'd like to upgrade his side impact protection you can always go with a highback booster.

The Maestro is also a great seat provided its being used correctly. Harness straps st or above shoulders, tight like a hug and chest clip st arm pit level. How old is R?

If you'd like, you can post pics and verify things that way. The best thing you could probably do though is visit a CPST to get their seats checked (preferably they have to be with you). Cert.safekids.org can help you get started!

henrietta

MotoMomma is right. :)

We have that same Harmony booster, but in camo. It fits my 8 year old beautifully (he's a little on the small side). It was his "back up" booster seat from the age of 6 or so. I think it's a little too deep (legs) for the average sized 5 year old, which can cause a kid to slouch, so I don't normally let my 5 year old ride in it unless we have to for some reason. He wears a size 5 pants and 5/6 shirt. If your oldest falls asleep a lot or you feel like you need side impact protection (more important, imho, if your back seat doesn't have side curtain airbags or it's a much older vehicle), you could buy a high back booster seat for him, such as a Graco Turbo booster. Many of them now come with cup holders, which can be a selling point for kids his age. ;) When it comes down to it, he's in a booster seat.

If your younger son is under age 2, then I would strongly encourage you to consider buying him a new convertible to face the rear. Otherwise, use the Maestro properly...make sure it's top tethered if possible..My 5 year old rides in an Evenflo Secure Kid, which is essentially the same as the Maestro. :) It's a great seat!

You are learning, we all are. Your children are safe. Make sure you find a CPST for a seat check if you can. Learn about keeping babies and toddlers rearfacing to a minimum of age 2. And carry on! Welcome to car-seat.org!!!

jay_bee

Thanks again. Sorry R is 3 & a half. it makes me feel so much better that i'm not doing a whole awful job. I'm working on getting K a high back booster now

aeormsby

If you want to look at HBB's for your oldest you'll have to watch the height on them if he's a tall kiddo. He may be at the top limit already for something like the Turbobooster.

And my DS just got that same flame booster (Harmony Literider/Youth booster). He's wanted it for years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC