better seat for 6 year old than Britax Pinnacle ClickTight?

panta

We have an (almost) 6 year old, pretty tall and thin for his age. He is in a Britax Pinnacle ClickTight, which we like, and we are getting a second car seat for him for a new car.

Since we got the Britax Pinnacle ClickTight a year ago, I wanted to ask if there are newer/better car seats for this age out now, or if we should get another Pinnacle. I like the Pinnacle because it will keep him in a 5-point harness longer than the other car seats available, at least out of those available as of last year, which I assume is safer than using a seat belt with a booster seat.

Thanks for your advice!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A six-year-old who fits properly and will behave properly is perfectly safe in a belt-positioning booster seat. We have no evidence that boosters are less safe than harnessed seats (or vice-versa) for kids that age.

If this is a car he won't be in very regularly, I'd recommend a booster seat. I'd probably go that route even if he's going to be in it often, although a harnessed seat is fine, too, if you're more comfortable with that. The Frontier and Pinnacle are still the tallest forward-facing harnessed seats. Are there other people riding in the back seat? If not and he'll be in the center, I'd get a frontier over the Pinnacle, as the side impact cushions aren't really necessary in the middle.

panta

Thanks, Jennie. He will be on the side, with our RFing 2 year old in the middle. Given that, are boosters still as safe? What would be the advantage of a booster over a FFing car seat?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, as long as he can use it properly, a booster is a fine choice. So is a harnessed seat, although I'm not sure a Pinnacle will fit right next to another seat.

The biggest advantage of a booster is that it's usually quite a bit cheaper and it will last much longer than a harnessed seat. But as I wrote above, either is fine.

lgenne

The other advantage to a harnessed seat in the setup you just described is easier buckling. With a booster you'd have to buckle it between the two restraints.

What vehicle will this be in?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC