Question Best Resource for Inspection Stations?

safety4harp

Hi there. I just wanted to double check that this:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cps/CPSFitting/index.cfm

is the most accurate place to check for someone trained to install carseats? I work for a referral service (for a multitude of things) and just had a call about this. I checked the NHTSA site and there are no sites listed in our area, which I am very surprised by.

Thanks for the info!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Another place to check is at Safekids.org. You can find individual techs there, rather than just inspection stations.

I don't know how contacting the techs who have listed themselves here at car-seat.org in this thread would work for a referral service, but maybe you could contact them via Private Messaging if you find one in your area to see if they want to share their contact information with someone looking for a referral. The techs here are more likely to be update-to-date on the current seats available and best practice information compared with the general population of techs. :)

safety4harp

Thanks! It looks like that seatcheck link takes you to NHTSA site. So what is the difference between their site and the safekids site? There are tons listed on safekids, but I thought the NHTSA was supposed to be the certified techs? Can you please explain the certification and what that means?

Sadly, no one in the link you provided for folks who are active on car-seat.org in my area. :(

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Safekids.org is the organization that holds the classes and certifies the techs; it lists any certified individual techs that want to be listed. You can read about the certification process at cert.safekids.org.

The NHTSA site is maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and it just lists inspection stations (like sometimes it's a police station that has techs on staff).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
bree said:
Safekids.org is the organization that holds the classes and certifies the techs; it lists any certified individual techs that want to be listed. You can read about the certification process at cert.safekids.org.

The NHTSA site is maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and it just lists inspection stations (like sometimes it's a police station that has techs on staff).

Exactly. I'm not on NHTSA's site because I don't work at an inspection station. But I'm on SafeKids' site because I'm a certified tech who has chosen to be listed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC