Best harnessed booster for a tall 4yo to sleep in?

MoonRocket

Hi, my 4yo DD is has the straps of her RA50 at her shoulders. I need a new seat for her ideally for a center install in a Dodge 2500. She is 42" 38 lbs.

We ski a lot so I want the safest, best for sleeping on long rides seat that will last her the longest. I have a securekid in my car that she really likes, but would prefer something a little more reclined for long drives to the mountains.

I'm pretty sure there is no center headrest in the truck.

I'm thinking a frontier, but am curious what you would suggest. Since we do a lot of family ski trips I'd like to have the option to keep her harnessed in the truck for a number more years so she can sleep comfortably.

We do have a radian which is currently in the truck, but her head slump is really bad- so I'd like to move that to DHs can to replace the RA and get a more comfortable seat for the truck.

If we could latch it in as a booster that would be a bonus!

Thanks!

ADS
My apologies for the delayed reply! Occasionally posts will get pushed down the list from a busy day and become overlooked.

At her size, and with the many long car rides, sleeping, and your wishes to keep her harnessed, I would go with either a Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus or Harmony Defender. You've mentioned having the SecureKid and wanting something a little more reclined, so out of those above i'd say the Frontier can be reclined the most, then the Nautilus, then the Defender.

MoonRocket

Thank you! I don't think the seat is cut out in the truck, I think it's a full bench- we have the extended cab version. Does the seat have to be fully on the seat? It's a pretty big bench seat- the radian fits completely on it.

MaKoski

My girls were always able to sleep easily in their radians RF. My almost 4 yr old fell asleep in hers on our way home from school yesterday : ) And she would have a nice view out the back window.

MoonRocket

My girls were always able to sleep easily in their radians RF. My almost 4 yr old fell asleep in hers on our way home from school yesterday : ) And she would have a nice view out the back window.

Yes, my daughter slept great in it RFing- however she no longer fits RFing. Any tips for making it work better FFing? I have hated it ever since I turned it.

Sorry for not being clear- I was looking for a FFing seat for my 44" tall 40 pound 4 year old. ETA she surprised me at her last dr. Aptm when she got measured.

I did order the Frontier it should be here today. If it doesn't fit in the truck I will put it in my car and play musical car seats.

Last edited:
Yes, my daughter slept great in it RFing- however she no longer fits RFing. Any tips for making it work better FFing? I have hated it ever since I turned it. Sorry for not being clear- I was looking for a FFing seat for my 44" tall 40 pound 4 year old. I did order the Frontier it should be here today. If it doesn't fit in the truck I will put it in my car and play musical car seats.
You can recline the Radian when it is FF only. Underneath the seat there is a bar near the front, you can pull it forward and slide out the recline foot. This should help with head slump.

ETA: As she is now 40 lbs, you must remove the SafeStop, but it is important to use the top tether if at all possible. If you are in Canada, use of the top tether is mandatory.

MoonRocket

You can recline the Radian when it is FF only. Underneath the seat there is a bar near the front, you can pull it forward and slide out the recline foot. This should help with head slump.

ETA: As she is now 40 lbs, you must remove the SafeStop, but it is important to use the top tether if at all possible. If you are in Canada, use of the top tether is mandatory.

Awesome- I will check the bar tonight! I did remove the SafeStop and have her tethered already- thank you for the reminders though!

Keeanh

Here's the Radian installed FF with a recline. You can see the foot sticking out the bottom at the front of the seat. Also, note the triangular space behind the seat. That space is okay, and often necessary to get a good install. As long as you can't move the seat forward or back after installation, it's fine.

318257_288137267940192_1681569699_n.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC