advise for small convertible

nkinney84

I spent a couple of frustrating hours at bbb and bru today. I need a convertible seat for an infant that will hopefully last rf for awhile. My problem is I have a very small back seat. I drive a 94 4Runner. Its not the width we are having problems with but the space behind the driver seat. I have our 4yr old (38" 38lbs) in a Nautilus in the center. Need to leave the seat behind passenger open since dh is tall (6'4") and has to have the seat all the way back. Since I am so short(5'1") I don't want to try and struggle to get an infant in the center seat, (I would have to set baby on seat and climb in) The only seat I found that might work is the Britax Roundabout 55. Is it an ok seat for an infant? Also can it touch the headrest(not pushed against just barely touching)? Does it have to be tethered? Car is to old for latch so will be a seat belt instal. It seemed like I could get a decent instal if I had more time that bru really wants to give you to play with a seat. I'm guessing it would need a noodle or something to make it reclined enough (their parking lot is not level so its hard to tell). We are due in sept but dr thinks she is coming early so need to be ready. Budget wise I need to stay under $200. I tried the Myride, truefit, and size4me all with no luck. Should I go with the roudabout55 or is there another seat I could look at. Also bearing in mind I have small kids (4yr old ds still fit in roundabout 55 in bru) but when this seat is outgrown dh will insist on turning baby ff.

ADS

Kaitsmom

Check out the Maxi Cosi Pria. It has thr Tiny Fit insert, which allows the acutual seat to be installed more upright, but the insert reclines inside the seat giving a newborn a safe angle. It is over $200, but will last a very long time. The Roundabout doesnt fit newborns, and I dont think they have the newborn insert for it that allows the Marathon and Blvd to fit newborns.

The Combi Corocco also is a great small convertible, but if you want to erf and dh wont go for another seat it may not be the best idea.

nkinney84

$200 is the absolute max limit, I have stretched it as far as I can. I am at a complete loss as to what to buy. Does it make a difference with the roundabout 55 if we get the infant positioning insert they sell? I really need advise!!! Everything we look at wont fit and DH is at the point of "making something fit" which means a jimmy rigged fix and I am so not ok with that! Also need to buy something local not online so that leaves me what is available at target, walmart, kmart, bbb, and bru.

justplainhope

I don't remember the price, but take a look at the Combi Coccoro. We have it behind the driver's seat in a MINI Contryman with plenty of room. My DH is 5'5" and there's a few inches to spare RFing!

tentoes

Yup, you can find Combi Coccoros for about $165 on Wayfair.com and Kohls.com (if you have a Kohl's card, you get 30% off + free shipping now. They run these promos every month I believe).

MommyShannon

The Roundabout 55 does fit newborns. The classic roundabout doesn't. I have asked on here since that's what we will be using when this baby arrives any day now. You will likely need the insert since you have smaller babies and it helps with the baby's angle a little so it won't need as much additional recline of the seat.
ETA: here is where I asked and it includes a link to a review of it with the insert. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=198641

CuddlyMonsters

Yup, you can find Combi Coccoros for about $165 on Wayfair.com and Kohls.com (if you have a Kohl's card, you get 30% off + free shipping now. They run these promos every month I believe).

If you aren't STUCK on a certain color you can get the CCO's for about $160 and FREE shipping on BabyCatalog.com

My DH is 6ft tall and we have a CCO in his truck for my 9 month old RF. He has the seat all the way pushed back and the CCO doesn't even touch the seat! We have three kids, so had to figure out how to fit them all in the back of his truck in the event that he has the kids ride in his truck, lol!

The only thing is that CCO's aren't that much bigger than a baby bucket, so the seat will be outgrown RF pretty quickly, but you could still use it FF.

NVMBR02

What about the true fit? You could remove the headrest for awhile (22 pounds I think?) and then add it when the baby is older and can be more upright. I believe it fits newborns pretty well. I am not sure how early they are thinking your baby might be though...If he/she is smaller that 5 or so pounds that is where it really gets tricky.

The True Fit is sold at some Targets.

Owlish

Do you all just not want to buy online or is not having a debit/credit card a problem? Before I got my debit cards I bought prepaid cards from my bank to use when shopping online. You can also buy prepaid debit cards in stores like Walmart etc. They're easy to use and would give you a little more buying room since you could take advantage of sales online. The only thing is that when you do returns it can take a little longer to get the money back on the card and ready to use again.

Jessica61624

The ra55 can touch the front seat since your car is older and likely doesn't have advanced air bags. It is not required to rf tether. And its not usually recommended to rf tether a nb. How ever your vehicle doesn't need latch to rf tether. When you tried it out did you recline the seat to position 3? If so and you still need the seat more reclined you can use pool noodles or a tightly rolled towel.

nkinney84

I won't buy online because if it doesn't fit or install well DH wont return it he will want to modify it to make it work. If I buy it local I can try it first or take it back. DH thinks all the car seat stuff is just hype no matter how many times I have shown him the videos and such. He is willing to cooperate to a point though so I am trying to make it as simple as possible.

My car doesn't have airbags at all so glad to know the seat can touch.

Why not tether an infant? Just curious.

It was in position 3. I say the line was level my niece helping me said it wasn't but is hard to tell on a sloped parking lot with a very rude and impatient bru employee waiting on us to see if it fit.

Also are the lock offs that bad to use my seat belts lock if you pull them all the way out first, do I still need to use the lock offs if they are a royal pain?

MommyShannon

The level line on the RA55 is an average angle. It can be a little more or less reclined depending on the child's size. You might need it more reclined for your newborn though the insert will help with it too. If you can swing it, the Marathon 70 should fit the same but will last a little longer forward facing when you switch in a few years. I'm not a tech, but the lock offs aren't required as long as your belts lock. I haven't tried them personally.
ETA: if your nautilus has enough life left to be passed down, I would just get the Roundabout.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC