Advice re: 3 across in 2011 Odyssey?

mom2011

Expecting 3rd child any day now. Wanted to put three across in middle row of our Ody to leave rear space open if possible. Yesterday we installed the infant seat, a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio that we've had since child #1. For some reason I thought we were totally in the clear on the expiration, thinking it was 6 years from purchase. Noticed in manual yesterday that it's five years from date of manufacture and will expire end of Feb. So, I'm going to have to purchase a new seat for someone and am looking for suggestions as to what might be my best move, for convenience but also to keep all 3 as safe and secure as possible.

Currently I have a just-turned 2yo RF in an Advocate (old model) and 4yo who just turned FF in an Advocate (newer model). And the Peg Perego infant seat. I'd prefer to keep them both in a convertible seat as long as possible, but if I have to buy a new seat I am wondering if it would be most cost effective to move my 4yo up to a high back harnessed booster? To me it seems like an awfully quick move after just having turned him FF, and I want him to be as safe as possible. I'd prefer to minimize the number of new seats I'll have to buy without jeopardizing anyone's safety.

Is buying a new infant seat at this point a silly move, considering the short time it will be used? I've never had an infant in a convertible seat... is it really just as safe? Less convenient? I never carried either of my other babies around very much in the car seat out of the car, but it was nice to have the option.

Other question regarding current configuration... We put the Peg Perego infant seat in the middle, between the RF Advocate and FF Advocate. The base hangs a bit off that middle seat, with the seats in "wide mode". I could not find anything in the manual about how much is allowed to hang off. Anyone know or can advise? Would another configuration be advisable?

Thank you for any suggestions!

ADS

Stelvis

I'd buy a new harnessed seat such as a Frontier for the 4 year old, buy the $15 infant insert for the new model Advocate for the newborn, put the 2 year old in the old Advocate. The Frontier has a 9 year lifespan so for $200 you can use it through all 3 kids.

The 4 year old should stay harnessed, but whether it is a convertible or a combination seat such as the Frontier, there's no safety difference. Same with the newborn -- no safety difference between an infant seat or a convertible as long as the baby fits properly in it. If your newborn is expected to be 7+ lbs, the Advocate with infant foam will fit the baby great (you will have to remove the HUGS until the baby gets bigger).

Pretty much anything will fit 3 across in wide mode in an Odyssey, so you should be okay there.

mom2011

Thank you for your suggestions. A few follow-up questions...

1. Do you recommend a certain configuration? (ie, who in middle)
2. Since the new Frontiers also have the large bubble-like pads on the side, I was afraid a FF Advocate might not fit next to it, even in wide mode, or that two RF Advocates would not fit side by side ... haven't exactly tried it, but looking at mine doesn't look likely.
3. Any advice on the Peg Perego infant seat fitting in that middle row middle seat? How much is the base permitted to "hang off" the seat? I will need to use it until we get something new, before the end of Feb.

Any other suggestions welcomed! Thank you!

rinibean

I have had a similar decision with my kids in my Odyssey. My 4 yo is FF in a Recaro Prosport in the back row in the single seat. The double side is folded down for storage/groceries, etc.

My infant is in the middle row, driver side (opposite side of the 4yo), RF in a Graco snugride.

My just turned 3yo is is the middle row, center, RF in a Radian.

My 4yo gets in the passenger side door and his seat is in the 3rd row passenger side. My infant is in the 2nd row driver, 3yo in the 2nd row middle. We removed the passenger side 2nd row seat. This leaves a big space in front of my 4yo. I use this for a couple things. One, I climb in just a little to ensure my 4yo is buckled properly, and then to buckle my 3yo. It also serves as good storage for a diaper bag or whatever else I happen to be toting along. I keep a bin of books and toys here too.

In the back, by folding down the two-seat portion I have plenty of space for groceries, a stroller, etc. Plus the space behind my 4yo.

I chose not to put them all in the 2nd row because if I ever had extra riders I'd have to move everyone around to access the 3rd row. Right now I just pop up the two back seats and there's plenty of space to get back there. Second, it makes the middle seat 2nd row very difficult to access.

Hope this all makes sense. I can't answer your other question about a seat hanging off, not sure about that.

But, I don't know how I'd every live without the option to carry an infant seat around. Especially with three kids. Personally putting an infant in a convertible would be very inconvenient. I'd hate to be waking them by moving them all the time rather than just popping out the infant seat and carrying them.

A final option might be to put the infant in a convertible, but carry the expired infant seat in the back of your van. If you ever need it in a store or at a doctor's appointment, you can just take them out of the convertible when you stop the car, then put them into the infant seat to put them in the stroller or shopping cart.

If it were me, I'd hate to buy a new infant seat too. Is there a trusted friend you can borrow an infant seat from just to get you through a few months?

Stelvis

I can't answer all the questions, but OP, if you want a 3 across I would not get the Frontier SICT, just the regular Frontier without the side impact cushions.

As far as who goes where, I think you just have to try and see what you like. I can tell you the new Advocate will fit really well RF in the center seat, which you can also then slide forward slightly if you want so the baby is closer to you while driving. (This might help also with puzzling other seats together).

To the PP who has the a child in a seat in the 3rd row and then folding down the 60/40 split to put groceries etc., please consider the items you're placing next to that child in the 3rd row that could become projectiles in a crash. I think it's much safer to leave the seat up and use the deep well in the trunk area to compartmentalize heavy items away from passengers.

Christie

Just a little experience, but some hospitals (if you're birthing there) won't allow you to leave with a newborn in a seat that will expire in the next 6 months. So you may not have the availability of the infant seat as an option from the first car ride. You can always switch it to whatever you want later, but I have known several moms who had to upgrade infant seats to leave the hospital.

Also, unless you live where it doesn't get cold in the winter, being able to have the new baby well covered at all times outside, and not having to constantly unwrap/rewrap whenever you put them in and out of the convertible seat.... would be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Stelvis

Just a little experience, but some hospitals (if you're birthing there) won't allow you to leave with a newborn in a seat that will expire in the next 6 months. So you may not have the availability of the infant seat as an option from the first car ride. You can always switch it to whatever you want later, but I have known several moms who had to upgrade infant seats to leave the hospital.

Also, unless you live where it doesn't get cold in the winter, being able to have the new baby well covered at all times outside, and not having to constantly unwrap/rewrap whenever you put them in and out of the convertible seat.... would be a bonus.

I don't see how a hospital could stop you from using a legal, properly installed, properly used, non-expired car seat. They could suggest you get a different one but they couldn't prevent you from leaving with your own child. I would not worry about that at all.

IMO, convertibles from birth are fine. Good excuse to keep the baby close to you in a sling most of the time!

MommyShannon

My kids are all 2-2.5 years apart, currently 6 months, 2.75, 5, and 7. When #3 arrived I learned the importance of baby wearing and barely used the infant bucket beyond going into daycare. With #4 we skipped the bucket and used Britax convertibles with the infant wedge. I love the fit on a nb. She was a summer baby though and we don't have harsh winters. I might have used a bucket if it was winter somewhere colder. I mostly used a Baby Ktan, Moby Wrap, or Ergo with infant insert. I take our Fisher Price Rock & Play along if we will be at someone's house. A blanket on the floor would work too if I didn't have three older siblings running around! We don't eat out often, but when we do, I just turn her around in the Moby so she can play with a toy on the table but I can hold her and eat. She will start using a high chair soon.

Christie

I don't see how a hospital could stop you from using a legal, properly installed, properly used, non-expired car seat. They could suggest you get a different one but they couldn't prevent you from leaving with your own child. I would not worry about that at all.

IMO, convertibles from birth are fine. Good excuse to keep the baby close to you in a sling most of the time!

I personally know of two families that this happened to, at two separate hospitals. Just saying that it's a chance.....

D&L's-mommy

Expecting 3rd child any day now. Wanted to put three across in middle row of our Ody to leave rear space open if possible. Yesterday we installed the infant seat, a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio that we've had since child #1. For some reason I thought we were totally in the clear on the expiration, thinking it was 6 years from purchase. Noticed in manual yesterday that it's five years from date of manufacture and will expire end of Feb. So, I'm going to have to purchase a new seat for someone and am looking for suggestions as to what might be my best move, for convenience but also to keep all 3 as safe and secure as possible.

Currently I have a just-turned 2yo RF in an Advocate (old model) and 4yo who just turned FF in an Advocate (newer model). And the Peg Perego infant seat. I'd prefer to keep them both in a convertible seat as long as possible, but if I have to buy a new seat I am wondering if it would be most cost effective to move my 4yo up to a high back harnessed booster? To me it seems like an awfully quick move after just having turned him FF, and I want him to be as safe as possible. I'd prefer to minimize the number of new seats I'll have to buy without jeopardizing anyone's safety.

Is buying a new infant seat at this point a silly move, considering the short time it will be used? I've never had an infant in a convertible seat... is it really just as safe? Less convenient? I never carried either of my other babies around very much in the car seat out of the car, but it was nice to have the option.

Other question regarding current configuration... We put the Peg Perego infant seat in the middle, between the RF Advocate and FF Advocate. The base hangs a bit off that middle seat, with the seats in "wide mode". I could not find anything in the manual about how much is allowed to hang off. Anyone know or can advise? Would another configuration be advisable?

Thank you for any suggestions!

I would put the 4 year old into a combination seat (such as frontier, graco nautilus, evenflo securekid). A ff convertible seat is equally as safe as a ff only combination seat. pass the newer seat to the newborn with infant insert, the older seat to the 2 year old. If you want to get an infant seat for the new baby, you can consider a low cost seat,like the comfy carry, or a snugride22 can be found for cheap. remember, all car seats pass the same safety tests. There is no proof that $200 seat is safer than a $60 seat. I have also seen parents that had to buy new seats before they were allowed to take their child home from the hospital because the seats were close to expiring. I have also seen parents who were going straight to a convertible from birth, have to uninstall the seat, bring it into the hospital, have it checked,then reinstall it. So make sure, if you're putting the newbie into a convertible, that your DH, or someone, can reinstall it before you head home. I personally loved the infant seat for convenience during the winter months. even after the baby was too heavy to carry all the time in the infant seat, we continued to use it, so we still had the option of carrying it in the house if the older baby was sleeping (we used our infant seats until they outgrew them, around 1 year old, but stopped carrying the seat around 4-5months).

Thank you for your suggestions. A few follow-up questions...

1. Do you recommend a certain configuration? (ie, who in middle)
2. Since the new Frontiers also have the large bubble-like pads on the side, I was afraid a FF Advocate might not fit next to it, even in wide mode, or that two RF Advocates would not fit side by side ... haven't exactly tried it, but looking at mine doesn't look likely.
3. Any advice on the Peg Perego infant seat fitting in that middle row middle seat? How much is the base permitted to "hang off" the seat? I will need to use it until we get something new, before the end of Feb.

Any other suggestions welcomed! Thank you!
1. I think you configuration will depend on what seats you end up going with.
2.only the SICT frontier has the big side pads,you can buy just a regular frontier
3.Most seats allow you to have 20% of the base hanging off the seat

Stelvis

I personally know of two families that this happened to, at two separate hospitals. Just saying that it's a chance.....

I'm saying, they can't legally stop you. They might have told the people that but they could have disregarded it and left anyway. Same with convertibles. They cannot make you uninstall it and bring it up. You can tell them they are welcome to come down to your car to inspect it. Hospital policy does not equal the law.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC