Question AA replacement after a crash?

tam_shops

Anyone hear anything direct from Diono on this one?

It's too late to phone and I spent the day dealing w/ insurance, rental car company, picking new seats, surrendering the old seats and finally borrowing a RF seat from a friend...

And, for those wondering, I picked Frontier, Montery, Radian AND Foonf and Oobr. They're out of stock of a few and Foonf isn't here yet anyway, so...I'll wait and try them all in my car when (IF) I get it back. But, did the purchase and deposit down...

tam

ADS

tam_shops

Yes, sorry, I'm so out of it...Keep seeing a red car flying into the side of my car!

AA Angle Adjuster for my SKJP RN.

Has anyone heard directly from Diono that it needs to be replaced? Or not?

It'll have to wait until Tuesday for me to call...if I get the time at school! Aackk!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would replace it no matter what they say. For one, it's less than $20. For 2, it's foam, and without knowing the exact conditions that the foam was already compressed from the installation, or the degree of compression that was placed on the foam from the collision, who knows if the AA could behave differently from the norm if you were to be in another collision. For something so inexpensive, I'd just replace it and not risk it.

tam_shops

Thanks Trudy!! I really love how you think/phrase things...

I read, probably on BBC, that Diono said (awhile back) that it did *not* need to be replaced, but was kind of thinking/wondering why not and/or how they *knew* it didn't need to be replaced.

I quoted it on the insurance replacement form, and will be sure to phone them about it...

I'd better not catch ICBC flack about the cost of my seats, it's the fact that I ERF my 3yo that left him w/ a bruise on his head and not oh so much more!

And, as much as I loved that RN, since I had a classic MA, I'd *never* have bought it, so guess I better write a TY note to Diono for having their contest!

tam

Misty-Bug

ICBC will not give you a foonf unless you already had one. They replace the cost of teh seats in the vehicle. I had a hard time getting mine replaced with a small accident. I rear ended someone. They would not replace a seat that was not there. You will more then likely have to pay the difference
they had me buy my seats then gave me a check. Good luck. ICBC is a PITB to deal with.

tam_shops

Thanks Misty. No of course ICBC won't be paying for the Foonf. They'll be paying the $369 for the Radian (crashed). It will be my responsibility to pay the $80 difference for the most expensive Foonf. That is the main reason I went to a local shop for replacement, to try them in my car (later) and to get the needed bill ICBC wants, with the amount of money I am *owed* for the IRL seats I had in my car.

Same deal w/ the Monterey $169 (crashed), I'll have to pay the difference for the Oobr if I want it ($239--even better sale than last week!), so the $70 difference is my responsibility.

The other options parents have to change a seat when dealing w/ ICBC is to buy a seat at TRU and get a gift receipt. You can figure out the rest.

I *totally* get why they do this, even though it's a bit of a pain! I wouldn't expect them to replace my $90 Maestro w/ a $300 Frontier, but some people would...though, if you ask me, it's to their benefit to do it if the people are willing to ERF! Can you imagine how bad my guy's neck would be if he were FF. Bowling ball on a stick...

tam

MUTigers

After my minor accident I called Diono and they said you don't have to replace. The person at fault was paying so I replaced anyway.

tam_shops

Did you post about that before? Thought I'd read that somewhere.

Really liked Trudy's answer and will be replacing it. Interesting, while they've yet to confirm seat replacement, they have said the AA replacement isn't a problem. Humph! LOL

Oh, they'll pay for my $13 bottle of Aleve too. :p

tam

Misty-Bug

After my minor accident I called Diono and they said you don't have to replace. The person at fault was paying so I replaced anyway.

why would they say not to replace it? when the manual says to replace after any crash?? :confused:

Tam....go to TJ's if you can. You may not like it. It was a tight fit to get Aurora in the seat in my Jeep. it sits higher off the seat and brought her head closer to the door frame. And she was itty bitty.....

tam_shops

Think she meant not to replace the AA after a crash. Which I also disagree with, but there is no manual on it, so that'd be the RN manual.

ODS is in our spare Maestro. YDS is in a spare RN. No hurry...ICBC has yet to even agree to replace my seats. Just pay for the Aleve! :rolleyes: It really yanks my chain they'd be paying medical bills up the ying yang for a FF 3yo. Especially the ox size 3yo I have w/ a bowling ball head and skinny stick of a neck, all at highway speeds!

I want to see/try the Foonf. What if I decide I want two of those instead of a beast of a Frontier? There is no seat take backs! LOL Plus, want to try which ever 3 seats I am getting in MY car, which i do not have, so waiting the month for the Foonf and Frontier is no big deal for me...Though, in the end if I fall in love w/ the Foonf, will get that and the Frontier even if the Oobr, Monterey don't fit 3 across. The Maestro still may and/or the I always have a turbo booster...

I hate making decisions period. But hasty ones are even worse...There is something about not being able to return things that stresses me out on a decision! LOL PLUS, I'm still on the fence about that Oobr, ODS really did prefer the Monterey. BUT, one day he's going to need to ride in SIL's jeep w/ out head rests and....Ooobr is a better choice!

tam

Misty-Bug

remember the foonf is rfing and ffing. The frontier is FFing then booster. I would honestly do a radian and a frontier personally. Like I said, find a place to try the foonf. Baby's world maybe or TJ's. make the trip. I don't recommend buying that seat before you try it. especially in your car

tam_shops

If I'm lucky, I won't have a car as of tomorrow! LOL

Must try, touch, see, sit in and play with Foonf before buying, not to worry, super neurotic that way! I get serious buyer's remorse! LOL

Westcoastkids.ca is local, a few blocks from the Richmond Ikea. They're getting theirs in end of the month. Holding a black on black one for me! :)

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've seen the foonf in 2 small cars and I'm not really all that worried about hitting heads - definitely not going to be any more likely than other seats that sit up on a base anyways like the Britax or Triumph. (1 was a Ford Focus, the other was my Saturn Astra.)

MUTigers

tam_shops said:
Think she meant not to replace the AA after a crash. Which I also disagree with, but there is no manual on it, so that'd be the RN manual.

tam

Yes, I meant the AA... They said that it did not have to be replaced after my crash. And yes, I did post about it before. It was incredibly minor, like I was rear ended by a car going probably less than 20 MPH.

I still replaced the AA and the seat (obviously). Especially if someone else is paying there is absolutely no reason to not replace!

FrauDrA

tam_shops said:
If I'm lucky, I won't have a car as of tomorrow! LOL

Must try, touch, see, sit in and play with Foonf before buying, not to worry, super neurotic that way! I get serious buyer's remorse! LOL

Westcoastkids.ca is local, a few blocks from the Richmond Ikea. They're getting theirs in end of the month. Holding a black on black one for me! :)

tam

Ooooh, I foresee a trip to Westcoast Kids soon! I don't think I can justify buying a Foonf (although I did try to sell my German husband on the German-ish name :) ) but I really want to see one!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC