5 kids in a van....help!

k2bdeutmeyer

I drive a 2009 Volkswagon Routan and I'm expecting #5. I can't figure out HOW I'm going to make this work - there does not appear to be room for another seat/person between the seats in the back. Please help!

Right now, I have in the back seat (bench):

DD 7 (48" & 41lbs) in a Turbo Booster
DS 5 (40" & 37lbs) in a Nautilus

In the captains:

DS 13m (30" & 19lbs) RF in a Britax Boulevard
DD 14 (5'4" & 100lbs)

DH is 6'4" and cannot have a RFing seat behind the driver's seat if we can help it.

Suggestions??

Oh....and my infant seat is a Chicco.

ADS

soph's mom

It is very similar if not identical inside to the caravans/town&countries... It is doable especially since you don't need five car seats but I would plan on investing in radians/foonfs as some of your seats. Also, there are only a few hbb that play well in that third row seat... I know the newer britax parkway and supposedly the amp does as well. The amp is probably a better choice bc it's narrow.... The boulevard and the nauti are very wide seats so I'd look at the radians/foonfs/or defender for whichever you put in the rear...

k2bdeutmeyer

It is very similar if not identical inside to the caravans/town&countries... It is doable especially since you don't need five car seats but I would plan on investing in radians/foonfs as some of your seats. Also, there are only a few hbb that play well in that third row seat... I know the newer britax parkway and supposedly the amp does as well. The amp is probably a better choice bc it's narrow.... The boulevard and the nauti are very wide seats so I'd look at the radians/foonfs/or defender for whichever you put in the rear...

I did know that they were essentially the same....except I think the captains (maybe the 3rd row too??) are a little wider and more plush.

Okay....so, who would you put where and in what? I'm not 100% set on DS 5 being 5pt harnessed....I think I'm okay with just going the HBB route for him if that works better. I would like to keep DS 13 months RFing if I can, but he will be 21 months when baby is born, so......

k2bdeutmeyer

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think DS13m, who will be 21m then, is going to have to be FF. I don't think there is room behind the captains for a RFing seat and if I put him in the middle of the back, the outboard kids won't be able to get to their seats. I think having the bucket seat in the passenger side captain is almost essential for ease of use, meaning that we can't have a 2nd RFing seat in the other captain.

lgenne

Can the 14 yo go in the 3rd row middle? You might need some narrower seats around her (Defender and an Amp maybe?) have you tried the KF behind the driver's seat? It's a pretty compact seat, so I'd be surprised if he couldn't put the seat back as far as he wanted.

3rd row riders could climb in before the KF gets put in the car.

k2bdeutmeyer

Can the 14 yo go in the 3rd row middle? You might need some narrower seats around her (Defender and an Amp maybe?) have you tried the KF behind the driver's seat? It's a pretty compact seat, so I'd be surprised if he couldn't put the seat back as far as he wanted.

3rd row riders could climb in before the KF gets put in the car.

I'm sure she could, but she won't like it, lol....but we've gotta do what we've gotta do.

We've only owned the KF with one child and put it behind the passenger side because of DH and the fact that our garage is incredibly narrow and to get it in the driver's side, we'd have to back the van out first. That being said, obviously, we've never tried it behind the driver's seat. :)

lgenne

Ah, the narrow garage problem. We deal with that, too.

3rd option: 3 narrow car seats across the 3rd row. It'll probably mean 3 whole new car seats. A Radian with Angle Adjuster for the little guy (RF, because no one on a car seat board is going to suggest turning a kid FF before his 2nd birthday ;)--load him through the tailgate), a FF Defender or Radian for the 5 year old, and maybe an Amp for the 7 year old. RF seat outboard, so the other kids can get in.

There's only one top tether back there, right? The FF harnessed seat should go there.

Oh, one other thing to consider, to avoid the gross "buckling a booster with 3 across" issue, is potentially using at least one RSTV back there, if not 2.

k2bdeutmeyer

Ah, the narrow garage problem. We deal with that, too.

3rd option: 3 narrow car seats across the 3rd row. It'll probably mean 3 whole new car seats. A Radian with Angle Adjuster for the little guy (RF, because no one on a car seat board is going to suggest turning a kid FF before his 2nd birthday ;)--load him through the tailgate), a FF Defender or Radian for the 5 year old, and maybe an Amp for the 7 year old. RF seat outboard, so the other kids can get in.

There's only one top tether back there, right? The FF harnessed seat should go there.

Oh, one other thing to consider, to avoid the gross "buckling a booster with 3 across" issue, is potentially using at least one RSTV back there, if not 2.

Ugh....yes, buckling a booster could be a pain. I didn't even think of that.

Humor me......RSTV?

Keeyamah

Ugh....yes, buckling a booster could be a pain. I didn't even think of that. Humor me......RSTV?

Ride safe travel vest, I don't have a link handy, but it's kinda halfway between a harnessed seat and booster. The child wears it and you run the seat belt through it to position it properly over the child's shoulder and touching the thighs. Can be a bit of a hassle as an everyday seat, but doable.

k2bdeutmeyer

Ride safe travel vest, I don't have a link handy, but it's kinda halfway between a harnessed seat and booster. The child wears it and you run the seat belt through it to position it properly over the child's shoulder and touching the thighs. Can be a bit of a hassle as an everyday seat, but doable.

Ahhh...okay, thanks.

You've at least given me hope that we can make this work, lol. I thought of 2 things as soon as I found out (DS13m was supposed to be our last).....

1. How are we going to make this work in the car?????

2. How are we going to make bedrooms work???? (we live in a 3BR house)

wavegal

I would try what pp suggested, radian rfing, defender ffing and booster. if that does not work (defender) I would try a radian or put your 14 yr old there. then depending on which works 14yr old and newborn in captains or your ds 5 there with newborn, which would mean one less new seat. Unless your 5 yr old is super mature I would definitely wait on the booster especially since in a 3 across its more difficult to buckle

njkj

If the VW has the same plastic hinges in the third row as the T&C/caravan the radian won't go over far enough rfing to work in a 3 across. Also the defender does not fit in the middle. I have both and can play in my T&C later today with them before you go by new seats if you would like.

LifeAtHome

I have a T&C also, and agree, if the routan 3rd row is the same a RF radian in a 3 across is a no go. But I do think it would be worth while trying a RF seat behind the driver, I have a RF Radian there, (no angle adjuster either.) and my drivers seat is all the way back, though not very reclined. I bet your Britax would fit, and it would be easier to get a toddler out in the garage than the infant seat.
PP, I'm sad to hear the Defender doesn't fit in the middle, may I ask in what way it is incompatible? Is it the seat itself or the belt? I was thinking of getting one for my 5yo next seat. My van is an '05, with a lap belt there, so I'm wondering if it might work for some years not others?

njkj

Mine is a 2012 so the new style. The middle seat is tiny. My sons harmony youth backless won't even fit between the belt. I have gotten a BV70 rfing there. Also a baseless infant seat. You would have to install forward of the belt. It might be able to be done but I couldn't.

A rfing radian can work in the middle bc the foot is so narrow but them it's super hard to her anyone else back there. I am going to play with what I have in a bit bc I really need to try to get 3 seats back there.

NorthernGrl

Mine is a 2010 GC. The Radian can be RF in the centre back, but not FF. You think it's installed nice and tight, but it will slide forward many inches. The only top tether for the 3rd row is in the centre.
I'm sad to hear that the Defender doesn't work there. I've been waiting for it to come to Canada in hopes that if would be an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC