4 kids in 2010 Honda Pilot

grandisp

Hello,
I am currently trying to figure out how to do this and what seats to get as several of our current seats are expiring.

I have 3 kids and one due in early March 2016.

The new baby will be in a Chicco Keyfit.

My 3 current kids are:
1. boy age 10, 83 lbs 59"
2. girl age 6, 46 lbs 46"
3. boy age 3 36" 33lbs

The oldest has lately been sitting in a turbobooster (backless) because we moved his Parkway to my husband's older car where I felt more protection was needed....but I am willing to buy him a new affordable booster with back if that is better (for the side protection?).

The 6 year old was FF in a Nautilus with harness for a long time but recently we started moving people around and right now she is FF in the Nautilus but using it as a booster, so with the seat belt only....I think...does that seem right or should it be latched? ugh... Anyways, the Nautilus is expiring. I don't think she's really ready to not be harnessed...she is all over the place....so I need a new seat for her that can be harness or booster.

The 3 year old is still obviously in a 5pt harness but he IS FF and I don't think I will RF him at this point. His is Britax Marathon but it's trashed and expiring in a year anyways and so he needs a new seat.

Thinking after searching on here that we will have 2 in the middle row and 2 in the 3rd row....in some way or another. Probably best to leave the 2nd row passenger side open so we can fold the seat down there for easy access.

I would like to stay around $100 not too much more for any new seats we purchase.

Thanks for any tips on seats or configuration!

ADS

lilti9er

Hi! I don't have 3 kids but I have an '09 honda pilot and have put 3 carseats in it before so I'd like to comment on if you want 3 across with 3rd row access then the chicco keyfit can go on the 40 split bench. When accessing the 3rd row, don't click the keyfit onto the base until passengers have gone to the 3rd row. The base doesn't interfere with the sliding motion of the bench. But, of course, you'd have to test which 2 carseats can puzzle side by side on the 60 split bench. Now for the 3rd row, leg space is very limited for an adult so I would test which of the older kids can sit comfortably back there in their carseat. I had DD in a Britax Pinnacle in the 3rd row directly behind the 40 split bench before when we had company over. It was only temporary but it did take up a lot of space front to back. She sat Indian style in it.

Sorry I couldn't help too much.

Bebe

For your 10yr old boy, try the Safety 1st Incognito. It's a belt positioning cushion that's a half-inch thick, comes in different upholstery colors to match color of vehicle seat (grey, black, beige), they're available on Amazon for under 30$. For your 6yr old, Graco has a great new seat called the Graco Atlas, it's a 5pt harness to high back booster with higher weight and height limits for both modes, but is lower in cost; check Walmart.com for that one. And for the 3yr old, an Evenflo Titan/SureRide , Walmart for that one, or an Evenflo Chase Select (harness to high back), available on Amazon. Hope you get other suggestions. Good luck.

lgenne

If the oldest is fine in a backless TB, there's no need to replace it. There's no evidence that high backs are safer at all. They're suggested for younger kids who need help staying in position, but it's fine to stick with what works here.

For the 6 year old, also check out the new Graco Tranzitions.

For the 3 year old, skip the Chase. It's appropriate for very small children, but will be outgrown much too soon. Anything you're looking at for the 6 year old should also work for the 3 year old.

aporthole

The 3rd row passenger side seat in the 2009-2015 Pilot is somewhat magical and often results in kids passing the 5 step test (to use seat belt alone without a booster) very early. I would bet he'd have an excellent belt fit if you try him in that 3rd row passenger side seat. None of the other seating positions have the same magical fit.

I'd do oldest 3rd row passenger side either without a booster if he gets good belt fit or with a Safety 1st Incognito if he isn't quite there yet.

6yo 3rd row driver side. If she will sit properly in a dedicated booster, I'd be inclined to do that. If she does still need a harness, then there are a few options that would work. I personally am not a huge fan of using any of the popular combination seats (FFing harness that becomes a booster) in booster mode. Most of them a difficult to buckle as boosters and are large and heavy. I like dedicated boosters for boostering.

KeyFit in 2nd row center with lower anchor install (will still allow passenger side seat to tilt/slide for 3rd row access).

3yo 2nd row driver side.

aporthole

If you could use the Parkway from hubby's car for the 6yo in the 3rd row (driver side) that would cut down on a seat to buy especially if the oldest can go without a seat in the Pilot 3rd row passenger side. Then just use his Turbo in hubby's car.

For the 3yo, it is way over your budget, but if you don't have to buy anything for the 6yo, a Britax Frontier would be a great option. I know for sure that a KeyFit installed center with lower anchors works perfectly next to a Frontier on the driver side. You can get a Frontier for $211 pre-tax from Diapers.com with the code "savetwotimes". If you want something more budget friendly, a Harmony Defender or Graco Tranzitions would likely work nicely there although I haven't tried them there next to a KeyFit so I can't say for sure.

mping

Your 10 yo is past the 57" standing height limit on the turbobooster and most other ones. My 9 yo who is 57 in, is in an Incognito because she just needs that tiny boost. She 5 steps in some cars but not all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grandisp

Your 10 yo is past the 57" standing height limit on the turbobooster and most other ones. My 9 yo who is 57 in, is in an Incognito because she just needs that tiny boost. She 5 steps in some cars but not all.

Ohhh - thanks for pointing that out. So that likely means that the fit of the seatbelt is not correct on him if he is in the turbobooster?

mping

No I don't necessarily think so just that technically he isn't within the parameters. Kids who are smaller may not have a good fit, you know? Depends on the kid, the seat and the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC