3 Seats in a 3rd Gen Prius?

bethy84

Hi, I just found out I'm pregnant with our third kiddo so I will need to figure out what I need to buy in the next year to make everything fit in our 2010 Prius. We also have a minivan, so I'm not concerned about fitting there, but will need enough seats in general.
I have two kids; a tall boy who will be nearly 5.5 when baby arrives and a tallish boy who will be 3.
The seats we own:
- 2 First Years True Fits (the 2 year old currently uses one in each car, FFing)
- a Graco Nautilus (currently in the Prius for 4 yr old)
- a Britax Frontier (currently in the van for 4 year old)

I am ok with doing a backless booster for oldest son in the Prius since he will be over 5 by that time. I currently do not own an infant seat and it is not a requirement as I often wear babies anyway and this one is due in mid April so there shouldn't be too much snow.

Thanks for any recs!

ADS

nannykates

Congatulations on baby #3! Unfortunately the seats you have are all very wide so I'm guessing you will have to start from scratch in the prius. I know prius back seats are very narrow so I'm guessing a radian for your 2yo will be necessary.

Someone with more prius experience should chime in soon.

creideamh

How often are they in this car? If it's just rides back from school and going to the grocery store on the weekends, I'd probably do Radian, Bubblebum, and Coccoro (or Keyfit, Aton if you end up wanting a carrier.) They'd fit easily with no guesswork.

bethy84

The prius is my husband's car for driving to work. We do, however, drive it on weekends a lot and currently with only two kids, take it on our long trips. Not sure we'd do as much of that with 5 people's stuff to lug around.

YinzerMama

\We have a 2006 prius. No idea how they compare. We have put a britax marathon in the middle rearfacing which allows an adult to sit on each side. Tight but works for short trips. I almost had to use his car for 4 kids (one could have ridden in front) but ended up getting a rental van instead so never had to make it work. You could probably make a booster puzzle on each side with a britax rf but I wouldn't put a 3yo in a booster. Radian maybe on one side? Never had a radian so no idea how they install back there.

For me I love the mileage of the prius but as a family car for more than 2 kids I can't imagine making it work unless there is no other option. For trips we take our van. Even if you can get 3 kids in the back row, for a serious trip, will you have enough room for stuff?? We barely had enough room in our van this past week when we went away.

The prius has become the car I use as an excuse to run out with just one or two kids.

Last edited:

creideamh

HBBs won't work with a Britax, I can tell ya- the headwings make it not work. I would do Coccoro and Radian RF (one center one outboard, may need to see how they puzzle with/without angle adjuster), and a narrow HBB. A Vivo, Cruiserfix Pro, maybe even an AMP though I could never get it to puzzle with either an RN or CCO in my Prius. You might also consider the Bubblebum and just taking the minivan on trips, cause 3 across in the Prius really is not pleasant.

YinzerMama

HBBs won't work with a Britax, I can tell ya- the headwings make it not work. I would do Coccoro and Radian RF (one center one outboard, may need to see how they puzzle with/without angle adjuster), and a narrow HBB. A Vivo, Cruiserfix Pro, maybe even an AMP though I could never get it to puzzle with either an RN or CCO in my Prius. You might also consider the Bubblebum and just taking the minivan on trips, cause 3 across in the Prius really is not pleasant.

I thought they were supposed to puzzle really well if the britax rf'ed, since it is up on a base so the underside of the booster kind of fits under. Pain in the butt to buckle but works.

Still not something I would do unless I had to. Depending on how often the car was used, the fuel savings might be offset by buying new car seats anyway.

creideamh

They should in a lot of cars, but they won't in my car. If I could pull the boosters out to the edge of the seat, it would probably work, but with the way the sides flare up, it doesn't. :( I can barely get boosters to fit next to an RF Radian.

YinzerMama

Ah. I get it. I was told to try this when I was gonna cram 4 kids in ours but never got around to it. Always just tucked it away as something that would work. Knowing this will save me attempting it if I ever want to take 3.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC