3 Seats across in Kia Forte 2012

cole_b27

Ok so we just bought a brand new Kia Forte and the Bucket we have for the new baby due in a month wont fit, I am wondering would 3 Radians fit? I dont want to order them wait for them to come in just to find out no then have to quickly figure out something else, It would be 2 ff and 1 rf. With the RF in middle. Any other suggestions. I want to order but need help, Thanks everyone!!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
3 Radians will fit in pretty much any vehicle, but I have no idea how easy (or not) they are to install in that vehicle.

Would the RF Radian be for the newborn? You're going to have a tough time getting a full 45 degree recline that you need for a newborn AND being able to have a passenger sit up front, the car seat cannot touch the back of the vehicle seat so you'll have to move the seat up significantly.

How old are the other kids, what seats are they in, and what kind of infant seat is it? It's a safe bet to say you'll be able to put two Radians and an infant seat in, rather than going out and buying three.

cole_b27

The other 2 are FF in Graco Nautalis right now, I was reading that in a Kia they can touch the seat. I have a bucket for the new baby if needed but it will expire in a year so I was going to just get her a seat she can keep the whole time, The GN are so large I kind of figured Ill need something new for them

EmmaGrace'sMom

What about the bucket won't fit? If it's because it's too long front to back I don't think a Radian will help unless it's because the bucket is too wide to fit between the front seats.

What about a CCO for the baby?

MomToEliEm

What are the ages of the kids and their weight/height going in these seats? Maybe there are other seats that might work better depending on their age/size.

cole_b27

The bucket is just too wide for between the 2 GN, I want to get the new seat one that will fit her as she grows so not another bucket, the other 2 are a 3and a half year old 40 lb, and 1.5 year old 25 lbs. Height I think older is about 41 inches and younger is about 36

MomToEliEm

Seeing that your younger child is only 1.5 years old and 25 pounds, I would put that child back rearfacing in a radian using the diono angle adjuster (the adjuster might help to get a more upright install). Most experts now recommend that children stay rearfacing until at least 2, though they are safer rearfacing well beyond that age too.

Your 3.5 year old probably can still fit in a forward facing radian. Maybe get 2 radians, and then try that combination with your existing infant carseat to see how they puzzle together.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Are you aware of the AAP and NHTSA recommendations that kids remain rear facing until a minimum of age two? At 18 months your child's spine is nowhere near mature enough to stand up to the force of a crash - he's five times more likely to be killed in a crash than if he were rear facing for another couple years.

I would strongly, strongly urge you to take him out of the Nautilus and put him back in a rear facing seat immediately.

As for the car seat being able to touch the back of the vehicle seat, most vehicles made in the last 5 years or so have advanced airbag sensors that do not allow for anything to touch the back of the passenger seat, you'll need to check your Kia owner's manual for specific information regarding that.

If it's in your budget, 2 Radians is a good idea I think to start, one FF for the 3 year old, another RF for the 1 year old, and then use your existing infant seat RF for the new baby. When the seat is at its expiration or the baby is outgrowing it you can re-evaluate if you want to move everyone up a seat and get something different for the oldest or just get another seat for the youngest.

cole_b27

I am aware of that yes. Thank you, I was almost afraid to post their weights because of that but I was very interested in the seats. I will go with the 2 radians and then reevaaluate the bucket when the time comes. Thank you everyone for the help

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Is there any specific reason you have the 1 year old forward facing? No one wants to make you feel bad, but perhaps we can also offer advice that would help make rear facing work for you- we just want your kiddos to be as safe as they can be. :)

cole_b27

I have the Sedan. He is forward facing because when faceing backwards, he screams because his brother is facing forward and he cant see what is going on and gets scared and worried and shakes. When I had DS #1 it was 1 year adn 20lbs so once my little one hit the 20lbs which was not too long ago we switched him. I dont feel that you are making me feel bad as its my choice and I am doing what works for us and doesnt scare him while we are driving. We have his seat installed by professionals and makesure we dont have extra bulk on him and have him tightly hooked in with all belts in the correct position and the latch is tightly and properly installed. Thanks everyone, 2 seats is alot better then buying all 3 at once. $900 was making my face look like this:eek: but im alittle better with $600 lol knowing that I may beable to switch her to one and have my older one in the GN booster later also.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC