Question 3 rear facing seats in a Mazda 5 - possible?

Hrsutlow

We're getting ready for a new baby to arrive in November. We will be starting her out in a convertible seat since we have quite a few seats that fit newborns. Right now in my car I have a 4 year old rear facing in a Diono Radian r120 (he prefers to stay that way), behind the driver, a 9 month old rear facing in a sureride behind the passenger, and a 6 year old forward facing in a radian r120 in the third row behind the 4 year old. I want to try to limit my "musical car seat" time so I'm hoping someone here knows if I'll be able to get 3 rear facers and one forward facer in my vehicle and which configuration would be the most practical. I'd be willing to buy a new seat if I have to, but I'm hoping I don't have to since I have so many. Here's all of the seats I can work with:

Convertible: 3 diono radian r120s (and 3 angle adjusters), 2 evenflo surerides, graco myride 65, lamaze truefit premier,
Combination: Britax Frontier CT, Evenflo securekid

Thanks in advance!

ADS

katymyers

It's very possible [emoji4] I did three rear facers in my old Mazda5 loads of times. I'd put two rear facers in the third row and load through the hatch. I always found that easiest in that car. I'd experiment with the seats you have and figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Hrsutlow

It's very possible [emoji4] I did three rear facers in my old Mazda5 loads of times. I'd put two rear facers in the third row and load through the hatch. I always found that easiest in that car. I'd experiment with the seats you have and figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Good to know!! I was worried because my forward facer always complains how tight the 3rd row is so I didn't know if I could fit a rear facing seat there, especially at a newborn angle. If I may ask, which seats do you have rear facing in the third row? I don't trust my husband to install seats and I'm on modified bed rest so I'm trying to avoid installing and uninstalling multiple seats and "guessing and checking" if possible.

katymyers

Good to know!! I was worried because my forward facer always complains how tight the 3rd row is so I didn't know if I could fit a rear facing seat there, especially at a newborn angle. If I may ask, which seats do you have rear facing in the third row? I don't trust my husband to install seats and I'm on modified bed rest so I'm trying to avoid installing and uninstalling multiple seats and "guessing and checking" if possible.

I did two Britax Boulevard 70-G3s in mine and they fit beautifully. I've also heard the the Radian fits with the angle adjuster.

Hrsutlow

I did two Britax Boulevard 70-G3s in mine and they fit beautifully. I've also heard the the Radian fits with the angle adjuster.

Great, thanks! I'm going to try two rear facing radians w/angle adjusters in the second row, keep the rear facing sureride where it is for the new baby and put my oldest in the frontier in the second row. :)

Dillipop

Great, thanks! I'm going to try two rear facing radians w/angle adjusters in the second row, keep the rear facing sureride where it is for the new baby and put my oldest in the frontier in the second row. :)

That's exactly what I would do. Then when your 4 year old is ready to forward face, I'd switch that child to the middle row an keep the 2 rearfacers in the third row.

The radians with angle adjusters are great back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC