Question 3 across in volvo xc90

Drrsgirl

I am trying to figure out if there is any configuration in which I can keep my oldest son in his clek oobr booster. I am expecting my 3rd child and am trying to choose his infant car seat, I'm leaning towards the britax b safe. My 3 year old is in a frontier 85 currently behind the drivers seat and my 6.5 year old is in the clek oobr. My car has a built in booster and my oldest son is 50lbs and when using the built in the strap falls appropriately on his shoulder. My concern is his safety in the center between the two seats and his ability to get out of the car in the morning during the curbside drop off at school. I'm hoping there is a way I can keep him in the clek behind the passenger seat and put the infant seat in the center. Any suggestions (other than replacing the 2 very expensive/ relatively new seats I currently have) would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I don't think there's any rear facing seat that will fit between an Oobr and a Frontier, unfortunately. Maybe a Coccoro, but that's a convertible seat so you loose the convenience of a base, I don't know if that's important to you or not.

Otherwise, your best option is probably to replace the Frontier with a Radian for your 3 year old, and you can probably put the Radian FF in the center and fit an infant seat on the other side. Then in a year, move the baby RF to the Radian, put the 4 year old in the Frontier, and consider a narrow backless booster for the oldest and hang onto the Oobr for when one of the other kids is booster ready, and shuffle again.

Drrsgirl

Thanks for your advise. I am kicking myself for getting the frontier (last month!! Ugh :( ) instead of a radian. I wasn't nuts about the radian but in hindsight it would have been a better choice. My husband want to just put our 6.5 year old in the built in booster, what age/size do you feel those seats are appropriate and is there concern for the safety as far as being crushed by properly secured seats on either side of him? I really appreciate the input!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Thanks for your advise. I am kicking myself for getting the frontier (last month!! Ugh :( ) instead of a radian. I wasn't nuts about the radian but in hindsight it would have been a better choice. My husband want to just put our 6.5 year old in the built in booster, what age/size do you feel those seats are appropriate and is there concern for the safety as far as being crushed by properly secured seats on either side of him? I really appreciate the input!

If it fits him correctly, then it's fine... but I don't really love the idea of a 6 year old full time in a backless booster (which is essentially what that is). And depending on how high up it sits in the vehicle, it also may give him a tendency to slouch. And the way the belt positioner is on those, I would worry about him slouching thus the lap belt riding up near his stomach.

Here's what you're looking for in terms of proper booster fit:
23362491786772920_9UAl9puE_f.jpg

Logistically, is it in the center? Can you even fold it out next to the Frontier and have room for an infant seat? And that means he's going to have to climb out over the 3 year old for school dropoff too.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's something you're really interested in trying, maybe pull it out and have him ride in it for a few short trips around town over the next few weeks and see if it's actually a feasible solution.

If you are comfortable, I'd be interested to see some photos of how he fits in it as well! They come around every so often around here but it's just always interesting to see how they fit with different kids. :D

Drrsgirl

I'm considering the bubble bum for the 2 block drive to and from school and short trips to the store locally behind the passenger seat and putting the infant seat in the center, then for longer road trips putting the 6 yr old in the 3rd row in his clek oobr. If only that 3rd row was easier to access with car seats in the second row my life would be so much easier :/. Any thoughts?

Drrsgirl

I'm concerned by his having to climb over his brother to get out too.

Attachments

• image-3198631119.jpg
    image-3198631119.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image-2189472266.jpg
    image-2189472266.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 25

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The fit in the pictures is acceptable - it's a smidge high on his lap and with such shallow leg support I would worry about him slouching and getting that lap belt in a very unsafe position. I'm still not in love with it for every day.

I think you're going to hate the Bubble Bum for everyday use, too. It's difficult to thread, and only offers about the same amount of leg support as your integrated booster does. It's fantastic for travel and carpool and stuff, but for everyday I think it's going to make you crazy.

When I said you weren't going to be able to fit a seat there, I was thinking of the XC70 wagon (I put a Keyfit and a Frontier in one of those last week and there's no way another seat would've fit), not the third row SUV you have... from looking at that picture, I think you may actually have more room than I originally thought.

Maybe start at BRU (or even better, Buy Buy Baby if you have it) and put a few infant seats next to your Frontier and see how much space you're realistically going to have left over. I can fit a Keyfit nicely next to my Frontier in my Honda CRV and have enough space for a Harmony LiteRider:

729a6fc0.jpg

Personally, I would prefer to give up the Frontier for a while and keep the oldest in a HBB, rather than giving up the Oobr and putting the 6 year old in a backless most of the time, but do what you have to do to fit everyone in in!

Drrsgirl

Wow! Your car looks roomy! Do you think the chicco is narrower than the b safe? The sunshade on the keyfit makes me crazy but if it means all my boys would fit in a safe configuration I can deal ;) DH would be happy if I chose a chicco because then I would't be bugging him for the b ready stroller. I really appreciate your help!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Wow! Your car looks roomy! Do you think the chicco is narrower than the b safe? The sunshade on the keyfit makes me crazy but if it means all my boys would fit in a safe configuration I can deal ;) DH would be happy if I chose a chicco because then I would't be bugging him for the b ready stroller. I really appreciate your help!

I'm not sure - I haven't seen any B-Safes yet other than just checking one out at BRU. It's definitely worth trying out though, at BRU they'll let you try it in your car! Definitely actually install it and click the carrier in and out before you decide it's going to work - sometimes infant seats are a little deceiving in that you think they fit by just setting them side by side but actually installing the base at a position where you can snap the carrier in and out can be a little trickier.

Report back when you make a decision, we always like to hear what works out for people! :)

And thanks for sharing the booster pics, by the way! :D

Drrsgirl

My BRU doesn't carry either britax infant seat, their selection is quite pitiful. The next time we make a trip up to Raleigh there is a fantastic store there that has most every highly rated seat. I will try to install both the Chicco and the B safe, if I can't fit them 3 across with the baby in the center, I read of someone who was able to leave an outboard seat down to easily use the 3rd row. I'm hoping that can work and I can use the Clek back there. I think that would be my safest, easiest configuration. When I had the clek next to My 3 yro's seat my oldest was often accidentally unbuckling the other seat. Although he always told me and I could fix it, it's such a hassle to get it super tight especially in a drop off lane :/. Again, I truly appreciate your time in helping me sort this out. I'll add pics when a arrangement is decided.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Try putting a sock with the toes cut off or cut a toilet paper tube lengthwise to slip around the buckle of your 3 y/o's seat - that way the 6 year old will have a clear view of which buckle is which. :)

And if you're planning to just leave the seat folded - check your manual and make sure it's allowed to be in that position while driving. A lot of times it doesn't lock securely there, so the manufacturer doesn't allow it to be stowed while the vehicle is in motion. A lot of times figuring out 3 across is easier than figuring out 2 side by side and leaving room to flip a seat.

HayleyCPST

Is the frontier latched? Using the seat belt instead might give you a couple more inches. I would also agree with the radian for the middle kid if you want to use a bucket for the baby.

Also, the Clek being installed with latch really doesn't provide any protection to the child (that we know of yet). It's mainly to protect other passengers in the car when the Clek is vacant. Using it without latch would also give you a few more inches. Just remember to buckle it when it's empty.

Drrsgirl

The frontier is belted, I found my install was tighter than with the latch and the combined weight of my son and the seat where too close to the latch max for my comfort. If I am able to get the 3rd row easily accessible there isn't latch there, but I do realize its only real function on that seat is keeping it secured while empty. I'm really trying not to have to get a radian at this point, I'd love to wait for reviews on the foonf and getting that to seat the new baby RF for as long as I can. The space between my second row and backside of the front seats is quite limited and the radians are just so tall and to be honest I really have never been a fan of their seats.

Drrsgirl

Love the tips to identify the other seatbelt latch! Terrific ideas! I'm pretty sure the seat locks down but I will refer to the manual to confirm, hadn't thought about that, thanks for pointing it out!

Drrsgirl

Hooray! Went to BRU and tried a chicco keyfit 30 magic (so happy it has a HUGE canopy, my only real complaint with Chicco seats) and it fits comfortably between the Clek and the Frontier! So pleased and relieved! Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I'll post pics in the 3 across forum when I install it for good.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Hooray! Went to BRU and tried a chicco keyfit 30 magic (so happy it has a HUGE canopy, my only real complaint with Chicco seats) and it fits comfortably between the Clek and the Frontier! So pleased and relieved! Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I'll post pics in the 3 across forum when I install it for good.

Fantastic!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC