3-across in Equinox/Tacoma

JlynnB

A friend is due soon with baby #3, and I'd like to try and help her figure out how to fit 3 car seats in her and her hubby's current vehicles. She has a fairly recent (2010?) Equinox that will likely be traded in for something with 3 rows in the next year, and her DH drives a 2013 quad-cab Tacoma. DS1 is 4 1/2, ff in a Graco Nautilus (which they love), and DS2 is 2 1/2, also ff in an Evenflo Symphony (which they don't really like). She has a Graco infant seat in storage, but isn't sure of the model or expiration date. Presently they just move the seats between cars as necessary, with the Equinox as the primary vehicle. They would like DS1 to ride in the middle so that he is next to the baby, and would prefer not to turn DS2 back rear-facing. Is the Nautilus too big to work in the center of either vehicle? Any suggestions for seats that would work well for the baby and DS2 on either side? In searching the forum the only seat I've seen mentioned as puzzling well with it is a RF My Ride. They would prefer a bucket for the baby to start, but all suggestions are welcome.

I am traveling by car to visit her next week and have the following seats I could bring to try out: a Britax B-Safe and Roundabout 50, a Coccoro, and a Scenera. Does anyone know if any of these might work? I know DS2 is 33" right now, if that helps.

TIA!

ADS

DogznKatz

I would first suggest seatbelt installs all around as that will save room across the back seats. You will have to get in there to see what works. With what you have, you may find a solution, but your friend will need to think about what she will do when her children get bigger.

When she looks to replacing the Equinox she will want to read the vehicle owners manual before she buys and make sure she has more than one top tether in the 3rd row. I have had parents want the two FF children in the 3rd row, but have only one tether in the center.

The Coccoro would be a contender for the new baby. It is very narrow. I think DS 2 may be getting close to outgrowing the Scenara and Coccoro, but may last for a bit. The older Graco infant seats (assuming it has a year left), are wide at the base where it meets the vehicle seat belt. If she really wants an infant seat, Chiccos and Cybexes are very narrow. Diono Radians are very narrow convertible seats and should be considered as well.

The Nauti will be tough I think, but it may work in combination with some other seats. Another FF combination seat to consider (harness to booster) would be the Harmony Defender.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC