3 Across in 2009 Ford Escape

C

ciacco

Hi all,
I am trying to find a workable 3 across configuration for a 2009 Ford Escape. We can accommodate 3 in our primary vehicle, but I need to outfit the Escape for daycare pickups.

Kids:
3 yr. old boy- 31 lbs./37 inches (currently in Nautilus and Frontier)
12 mo. old boy- 19 lbs, 30 inches (currently RF in Diplomat and Scenera)
Baby #3 expected in April (other children will be 3.5 and 18 mos. at that time)

Current Seats:
Graco Nautilus
Britax Frontier 85
Britax Diplomat
Cosco Scenera
Graco Snugride 22

Willing to purchase up to 2 new seats (Radian, Corroco, etc.) to make it work, but would like to try to use the Snugride if at all possible.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

ADS

LifeAtHome

Hi, and welcome.
I don't have a Ford Escape, but the info I found said it has 49" of hip room which is the same as my 3rd row, and I do have a Snugride 22, an onside air (same mold as Scenera) and a Radian, so I stuck those back there, you might be able to do Snugride passenger side, FF Radian center, RF Scenera driver side. It was a tight fit with the base on the snugride but it very well may fit your vehicle better than mine, It would fit if you used the Snugride without the base. If you are willing to turn the 3yo back RF the Radian would puzzle better with the Scenera and I'm sure that would fit, you might even get a Britax in there that way, but I don't have one to try. Hopefully someone with experience with your vehicle can chime in soon.:)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I would start by buying one Radian, and see how that plays with your Snugride and whichever other seat you'd like to keep most.

In your vehicle, I've done Radian Radian Snugride 22, and it wasn't horribly tight so I think you could probably do Radian + Snugride + one of your other existing seats.

Also, in a similarly sized vehicle I've done Radian/Nautilus/Keyfit so I think you have a pretty good chance of making two of your existing seats work with a Radian.

Some general tips - install all 3 seats with seat belts, that usually makes it easier to install the outboard seats as far outside as possible as opposed to using LATCH which will be situated closer to the center of the vehicle. Also, you may find it easier to puzzle with the FF seat in the center rather than stacking two RF seats next to one another if they don't fit together. That does mean your 3 year old will have to climb in over the Snugride base before you click the carrier in though. Last, do make sure that all your seats are independently tight. Meaning, install seats 1,2, and 3 and then remove seat 1 and make sure everything is secure on it's own, not just seeming secure because they're all so close together.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC