3 across in 2002 Camry

Worry Mama

Please help – the 3 across saga continues... I’ve done so much research my shoulder and arm are numb from using the computer! Baby #3 is due around Christmas. We only have a 2002 Camry so need to do 3 across…
DD is 8 (56” and 65#) and currently boostered in a Nautilus which I know likely won’t work for 3 across. DS is 5 (47” and 55#) and just slightly over the top strap on his Radian.
My plan was to use the Radian RF for the baby, get my son a booster and my daughter a backless booster. If I put my boostered son in the middle I thought a backless could easily be scooted away to allow my son to buckle. However, the Camry’s rear headrests are very uncomfortable for my daughter -so I guess she will need a hbb too. I bought a Parkway SGL, but buckling it next to a Radian was nearly impossible. Are there boosters that would fit bigger kids and be easier to buckle next to a RF Radian?? What about Graco Affix? Monterey? Recaro Probooster? Compass? Harmony Defender? Was the Graco Airbooster discontinued??
I thought about buying another Radian so I could keep my son in a 5 pt, but that seems a little foolish since he is already at the top slot, and I know there is controversy about using it above the top slot. (We plan on getting a 2nd car in about 3 years so if I got another Radian the baby could have one in each vehicle). Since I tend to have large, fast-growing kids it seems a waste to spend so much on a Cocorro. Do you think something like a My Ride, True Fit, Complete Air or Evenflo Momentum would have a narrow enough base to allow for buckling of boosters on either side? (but when installed in the middle wouldn’t push my 6 foot husband’s seat up too far)? Thank you so much for your help!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Please help – the 3 across saga continues... I’ve done so much research my shoulder and arm are numb from using the computer! Baby #3 is due around Christmas. We only have a 2002 Camry so need to do 3 across…
DD is 8 (56” and 65#) and currently boostered in a Nautilus which I know likely won’t work for 3 across. DS is 5 (47” and 55#) and just slightly over the top strap on his Radian.
My plan was to use the Radian RF for the baby, get my son a booster and my daughter a backless booster. If I put my boostered son in the middle I thought a backless could easily be scooted away to allow my son to buckle. However, the Camry’s rear headrests are very uncomfortable for my daughter -so I guess she will need a hbb too. I bought a Parkway SGL, but buckling it next to a Radian was nearly impossible. Are there boosters that would fit bigger kids and be easier to buckle next to a RF Radian?? What about Graco Affix? Monterey? Recaro Probooster? Compass? Harmony Defender? Was the Graco Airbooster discontinued??
I thought about buying another Radian so I could keep my son in a 5 pt, but that seems a little foolish since he is already at the top slot, and I know there is controversy about using it above the top slot. (We plan on getting a 2nd car in about 3 years so if I got another Radian the baby could have one in each vehicle). Since I tend to have large, fast-growing kids it seems a waste to spend so much on a Cocorro. Do you think something like a My Ride, True Fit, Complete Air or Evenflo Momentum would have a narrow enough base to allow for buckling of boosters on either side? (but when installed in the middle wouldn’t push my 6 foot husband’s seat up too far)? Thank you so much for your help!

I'm not familiar with your car, so I'm not sure what will work, but I'm hoping a thread bump will help.

The My Ride has a narrow base that could allow buckling on either side. The True Fit is wide at the bottom. I think the Momentum is discontinued, and it's been a long time since I've played with the Complete Air, so I don't remember what the base looks like. :)

MotoMommaNH

A friend of mine has the same car. What was successful for her was an Evenflo Big Kid Amp outboard, Chicco Keyfit center seatbelt install, and Radian outboard (both RF AND FF) installed with LATCH. I guess the center seatbelt position is nearly impossible (I think she said the buckle stalk was nearly rigid) for a Radian install.
Having said that, in order to get the booster kid buckled in, she has to pull the seat outboard and help her older kiddo to buckle and then shift the booster back.
You've got a tough situation! The Amp will not likely work for the 8yo in high back so you may end up with a backless outboard for her; HBB for the 5yo and Radian RF outboard for the newbie. Try a store like BRU or BBB that will let you try in the car and play around with that combination!

good luck!

tiggercat

A Camry of that year is very challenging for 3 across, I am sorry to say. My kids' father has an 03, and fitting all 3 kids in the back has been challenging.

What did work was:

Clerk Olli backless booster, RF Radian, FF Graco Turbo Booster or Britax Parkway.

The centre radian install is tough, requires 3 twists of the buckle stalk, and a locking clip initially (once the seat compressed nicely I was able to redo it without the locking clip, switching the seatbelt to locking mode by pulling it all the way out). Cursing is optional, but seems to help ;)

The boosters can only be buckled by pulling out, buckling, pushing back (make sure to get the slack out of the lap belt).

Does your have the armrest in the centre? The RN sits high enough to block the armrest, but many other seats let it fold forward, which I am not comfortable with.

Are your headrests removable? You say they are not adjustable, but then indicate they are uncomfortable. Can you specify the issue?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Worry Mama

--"Are your headrests removable? You say they are not adjustable, but then indicate they are uncomfortable. Can you specify the issue?"--

Thanks so much for the help! The headrests are either out (removed) or in at one set adjustment (there's only one setting). Unfortunately that one setting is very uncomfortable for DD - pushes her head and neck forward. So that is why I don't think a backless booster will work for her.

My plan now is to try a turbobooster or Affix, Monterey and Recaro Probooster or Vivo with the center RF Radian (which sounds like will be so fun to install!). If that doesn't work then try a My Ride or Marathon in center (do they still sell the classic Marathon or they all 70 now??)

Any other ideas?

(and thanks for the bump, Bree!)

tiggercat

--"Are your headrests removable? You say they are not adjustable, but then indicate they are uncomfortable. Can you specify the issue?"--

Thanks so much for the help! The headrests are either out (removed) or in at one set adjustment (there's only one setting). Unfortunately that one setting is very uncomfortable for DD - pushes her head and neck forward. So that is why I don't think a backless booster will work for her.

My plan now is to try a turbobooster or Affix, Monterey and Recaro Probooster or Vivo with the center RF Radian (which sounds like will be so fun to install!). If that doesn't work then try a My Ride or Marathon in center (do they still sell the classic Marathon or they all 70 now??)

Any other ideas?

(and thanks for the bump, Bree!)

Now I understand. I guess my eldest was tall enough when he switched to a backless that the head restraint didn't bother him (or perhaps he just didn't care).

The Turbo booster works beside the RN, but we had the same trouble buckling as with the parkway. Monterey didn't even remotely fit. It's worth trying though, as I was working with a vehicle a year different and the seat configurations may be a bit different. I have never tried the recaros as they are not available in Canada.

You may find the head restraints push the top of the boosters forward, in which case you will need to remove the head restraints and make sure your booster does not require vehicle head support (Diono and Dorel do, Graco and Britax do not).

I wasn't trying to scare you with the RN install, it is doable! I just wanted to give suggestions in case you ran into trouble. And don't take it personally if it is difficult. A second set of hands can really help too.

They do sell both classic and "new generation" Britax Marathons. I didn't have any luck with the classic version, but I didn't try the new gen (tall-torsoed toddler).

Good luck, and be sure to come back with any questions!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Lee-B-

We have a 99 camry. Not sure if it is same body as a 2002. We have our Radian center installed RF. We did 3 belt buckle twists and locked the seat belt (by pulling all the way out).

We only have the one seat so can't help with 3 across, but the radian fit RF in our 99 camry if it helps any. The 3 belt buckle twists was the key step to do it.

MomToEliEm

I have a 01 Camry and my sister has a 96 Camry. We both have done 3-across, though it wasn't easy. We have done 2 FF Radians with a RF Britax Marathon in the middle. Also, done 2 parkways with a FF Radian. I have also done 3 boosters across, though it was a pain (evenflo big kid, monterey, graco turbo).

Worry Mama

Also, done 2 parkways with a FF Radian. I have also done 3 boosters across, though it was a pain (evenflo big kid, monterey, graco turbo).

I tried parkway with FF radian tonight with no luck. I have the SGL one though, was yours the older one and worked b/c it is narrower??

Can you use the Monterey in the Camry?? I crossed it off my potential list b/c I thought the headrests would get in the way of the seat and doesn't the Monterey require the car to have a headrest??

Aggh! Why does this have to be so complicated?! Thanks for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC