3 across in 05 CRV

Smyle00

We have two boys and are expecting our third in March. I am hoping to fit 3 across in my 2005 CRV and would like advice on what seats might work.
DS1 will be 7 in September, weighs 50 lbs, and is 52 inches tall. He is currently harnessed in a Frontier 85. DS2 is 4, weights 36 lbs, and is 43 inches tall. He is currently harnessed in a Nautilus. I think we would be looking at a booster for DS1 - a friend recommends the Harmony V6 highback booster. We would need a narrow infant seat, and to figure out if one of our current seats would still work for DS2 or if we will have to find something narrower for him as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

NatesMamma

Welcome, and congrats on the newbie! :)

Now. That generation CR-V is so not car-seat friendly. That tiny middle seat is a bugger. We recently traded in an '04 CR-V, and it and I had many disagreements over car seats. :cool:

I'll start by saying that I don't have any experience with boosters in the CR-V, but I have done two RF convertibles side by side on the 60% side of the split and also a RF seat + FF seat, again on the 60% side.

Since your oldest will need room to buckle his booster, I'd start out planning to put him on the 40% side (behind the driver) and then try to figure out which seats will work for the two younger ones on the 60% side. I don't have any experience with the Harmony V6, but the stand-alone/40% side of the split is pretty roomy, so I imagine most boosters would work well there, as long as the booster fit is good for your DS.

As for your current seats... yikes. Both the Nauti and especially the Frontier85 are pretty wide. I really don't see either of those working in a 3 across, especially with an infant seat. The only way I can *maybe* see it working out is if you put the baby in a convertible that can puzzle with the Natui's armrests. Maybe.

Are you willing to consider a convertible seat for the baby? DD went straight into a Combi Cocorro, and I actually preferred that over the infant seat that my DS used. Also, that's a nice, narrow seat, and it lasts longer than many infant seats. DD still fits the CCO RF, and she is turning 2 next week.

Have you tried any installs on the center seat yet? Most harnessed seats are tricky to install there. However, a RF MyRide65 goes in like a dream. Also, the MyRide sits up high on a base, so although it's a wide seat, low profile convertibles can often puzzle under it pretty nicely. Maybe a MR for the newbie, and a low profile FF seat next to it for your 4 yo? I know that I managed a RF MR in the center next to a RF Radian. I'm not sure how a RF MR/FF RN would work, but I don't think they would fit quite as well. The MR tends to puzzle best with seats that are facing the same direction, IIRC.

My personal set up was a Radian XTSL next to a Cocorro on the 60% side of the bench. There was then enough room for an adult the sit behind the driver, so I really think a booster would also work. Granted, the RN (or a newer Ranier) is pricey, but if your budget allows for it, but it could be passed down to the baby later. Here are some pics of my side-by-Side RN + CCO set up. Both seats were solidly in there, but it was a tricky feat to pull off-- and those are two very narrow seats. I realize that your 4 yo is FF. I don't have any photos, but I did eventually turn the RN FF, so DS was FF in the center in the RN, and DD was still beside him RF in the CCO. I found getting the RN to FF in the center to be especially tricky, but it was doable.

A tip to help with installing on that center seat: You can twist both buckle stalks (the regular one + that one for the shoulder belt that comes from the ceiling) up to 3 full turns each in order to shorten them, if necessary. Most of my installs did require both stalks to be twisted.

The Successful 3-Across thread might give you some more ideas. Good luck!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC