Question 3 across help (00 Excursion & 02 Passat Wagon)

MrsMcCullen07

I posted earlier as a guest and can't find my thread.

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and will have a newborn in August.

Hubby drives the 2000 Ford Excursion and I need 3 seats for it as well as 3 seats for my 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon. Neither vehicle has Latch.

We currently have:
Graco My Ride (can be used was purchased 2010)
Graco Nautilus (purchased 2008 - seat is moldy .. has been at MILs)

My 4 year old complains the crotch buckle hurts him so I am looking to buy him a new seat. My 2 year old hates the MyRide so we are borrowing my MILs Evenflo but I hate that seat ... she removed the foam padding behind the head b/c she claimed it bothered the boys.

So ... I need to buy new seats. Price isn't a issue ! I prefer to go convertible with all 3 kids (2 boys/1 girl OTW). And I would really like to get all the same seats if they will work together.

My 2 year old is forward facing and will likely stay that way unless I can get 2 carseats that can go rear facing in my car. He will stay forward facing in hubby's car.

Thank You !!

I am especially interested in the Radian ??

ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is a link to your previous thread:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=218228

If it were me, I would probably buy 1 radian right now to see how well it installs in your vehicles. If you like it after playing with it a little while, buy the rest that you will need once the new baby arrives. There is an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-60320-Radian-Angle-Adjuster/dp/B006I1QTYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332948755&sr=8-1"]diono angle adjuster [/ame] which might help with installing the seat rearfacing for the 2 year old if you decide to rearface.

MrsMcCullen07

Thank you !! It took me a while but I finally found my old thread (should 1 be deleted ??).

I really need to buy atleast 3 seats right now just to get my boys correct ...

I need 1 for the 4year old in the 00 Excursion and I need 1 for each of them in the Volkswagon. I think I can pick up nearly any seat to fit the excursion but I am not sure about the volkswagon.

I am putting the 2 year old rearfacing in the myride for now in the ford. I would really love to go ahead and buy the 3 seats for us now and then 2 for the baby in a few months.

What would be best for the 4 year old ?? Would a radian be a ridiculous purchase for him ? Could I get him the radian now and then do the highback booster in August (he will be 5 then). I am going to measure him now .. I have no clue what age is appropriate for being in a booster but he seems to really enjoy it ...

hrice

Appropriate age for a booster mostly depends on the child. I prefer that children not go into a booster before 5, period. After 5 it depnds on their size ands weight and maturity. To use a booster a child must stay seated properly 100% of the car ride even when sleeping. If they lean to grap something or swat at a sibling or are overall wiggly they need to remain harnessed.

lovemy2kidstw

MrsMcCullen07 said:
I posted earlier as a guest and can't find my thread.

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and will have a newborn in August.

Hubby drives the 2000 Ford Excursion and I need 3 seats for it as well as 3 seats for my 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon. Neither vehicle has Latch.

We currently have:
Graco My Ride (can be used was purchased 2010)
Graco Nautilus (purchased 2008 - seat is moldy .. has been at MILs)

My 4 year old complains the crotch buckle hurts him so I am looking to buy him a new seat. My 2 year old hates the MyRide so we are borrowing my MILs Evenflo but I hate that seat ... she removed the foam padding behind the head b/c she claimed it bothered the boys.

So ... I need to buy new seats. Price isn't a issue ! I prefer to go convertible with all 3 kids (2 boys/1 girl OTW). And I would really like to get all the same seats if they will work together.

Why are you wanting 3 convertibles if you are wanting to use 2 of them for FF only?

I would not use the seat that MIL removed the padding from. The padding is there for a reason & was probably not crash tested without it. I certainly wouldn't want my child to be the crash test dummy.

Why is your 2 yr old going to be FF if your husband drives an excursion? That thing is huge & would easily fit a RF seat.

How did the nautilus get moldy? Did it get wet? If so you need to replace the straps because they are not supposed to be submerged or wet for long periods of time.

How tall, what is torso height, & weight of your 4 yo & 2 yo?

MrsMcCullen07

Why are you wanting 3 convertibles if you are wanting to use 2 of them for FF only?

We are planning atleast 1 more child and I would like to be able to save them to use with future kids (until they expire of course). Also I transport my nephews occasionally and 2 of them are still rear facing.

I would not use the seat that MIL removed the padding from. The padding is there for a reason & was probably not crash tested without it. I certainly wouldn't want my child to be the crash test dummy. This is why I am researching car seats and looking to buy something new , I know that its not safe to use it in any altered form. I am giving her my nautilus in place of this seat so I can trash it.

Why is your 2 yr old going to be FF if your husband drives an excursion? That thing is huge & would easily fit a RF seat. We are going to put the seat rear-facing in the excursion .... I thought hubby would disagree since he hates buckling carseats but he said it was fine

How did the nautilus get moldy? Did it get wet? If so you need to replace the straps because they are not supposed to be submerged or wet for long periods of time.

Its moldy on the bottom of the cushion around the chest clip ... I am guessing something spilled in it and she just didn't do anything about it.

How tall, what is torso height, & weight of your 4 yo & 2 yo?

I will have to get this information after they wake up from their naps .. The 4year old is 48lbs (we weighed this morning) and the 2 year old is 27lbs. My 4 year old is tall (as tall as all 3 6yr olds in his karate class). My 2 year old seems normal height

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC