3 Across - 2012 Subaru Legacy?

PinkSunflowers

Hi. This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing it wrong. I've been searching around but can't seem to find the exact to what I'm asking.

DH and I are deciding if we should have #3. A huge piece of that depends on if I can fit 3 across, since replacing our car is not an option.

Currently I have -

DD (2.5yo, 28 lbs, 38 inches) in Safety1st Complete Air65 FF behind the driver
DS (10mo, 19 lbs, 29 inches) in Graco Snugride35 behind the passenger

DH and I have pretty long legs so it's not easy to put a RFing seat behind the driver. Instead the passenger suffers.

Ultimately I was hoping to get DS a new seat and move him FF and give the new baby the Graco Snugride35.

The preferred configuration would be (driver) FF, FF, RF (passenger)

Can it be done? TIA.

ADS

PinkSunflowers

I'm still here looking for options now that #3 is on board, we HAVE TO find a solution.

Updated... DD is 34mo - 30 lbs & 38 inches still in her S1st seat.
DS is 13mo - 22 lbs & 30 inches still in his Graco bucket

Looking either for a new seat for DS, DD, or both to accommodate 3 across.

I've got a few options of possibly Harmony Defender 360, Foonf, or Diono.

Any other options available?

According to Subaru was have 53.9 inches of hip room, but according to DH, because of the placement of the door handles we only have 52 inches.

Jeni-GAcpst

I think it can be done with the right combo of seats.

First, and most important, the National Highway Safety Administration recommends rear-facing to age 4 or at least to the maximum allowed by the car seat. The reason for the extended time is because the vertebrae in children's necks are actually each 3 separate bones. The tendons and the muscles in the neck can stretch up to 2", but the spinal cord ruptures (paralyzation or death) at only 1/4" movement. The vertebrae mature into solid rings of bones like adults somewhere between ages 4-7. Real life data suggests 532% fewer serious injuries occur when children are rear-facing.

I know leg room is tight, but RFing is so important.

A RFing radian and a RFing Graco MyRide puzzle really well and end up using less space combined than each seat separate. If baby went in the center in a MyRide and DS passenger side in a Radian, that would leave enough room driver side for a slim FFing seat for your DD. The CA65 might fit, but a Harmony Defender is a good bet.

Another good puzzling combo is the Combi Cocorro, Graco Size4Me (aka MySize 70), and the Britax Frontier. The Frontier slides under the non-cupholder side of S4M and the CCO follows the exact curves of the S4M. The combo is about 50" wide. But you'd need the Frontier (DD) on passenger side and the CCO (baby) on driver side with the RFing S4M (DS) in the middle. The Frontier and RFing S4M together are 35" so you might even be able to use the SR35 maybe.

Three radians would work too, but the newborn angle is so steep that you'd have some difficulty getting baby to fit in a radian in your car.

If you have a BuyBuy Baby near you, they let you try out seats in your car.

PinkSunflowers

Unfortunately we don't have a BBB anywhere in the area, not even 3 hours away in any direction. :(

Thank you for your reply though. We just bit the bullet and took a risk and ended up getting DS a Radian RXT. Fortunately, all 3 seats can be safetly installed and fit. Sweet relief. When we're done with the bucket for DC#3, we'll probably get another Radian.

Jeni-GAcpst

Great news! And you'll probably be able to keep DS safely rear-facing until close to the recommended age in the Radian.
If you haven't looked into one already, the extra Angle Adjuster ($12) can adjust the Radian to be more upright for toddlers like your son, and can save up to 4" of front to back space. If I recall correctly though, the outback makes for good radian installations without the angle adjuster so it may be not be essential for you.

Congrats on a little one on the way :)

Gidgetc13

I'm not sure how the backseat of the Legacy compares to the backseat of a Forester, but we have a 2010 Forester, a 3.5 year old, an almost 2 year old, and baby #3 on the way. I have been able to get the following 3 across to work in our Forester:
RF Radian with angle adjuster behind the driver
FF Radian center
RF Graco Snugride 32 behind the passenger
We will be putting the SR32 behind the passenger because it takes up more room than the angle adjusted Radian does. The angle adjusted Radian can be installed behind either front seat and allow for the front seats to be pushed all the way back. I'm 5'10 and DH is 6', so we both need all the legroom we can get up front. A harmony defender might also work in the center, but I haven't tried one of those yet. The SR32 I have is also a pretty wide infant seat. I actually thought we would have to get something more narrow to make a 3 across work, but I was able to fit it with the two Radians. I think the SR35 is a little more narrow, so that should give you a little more room to work with than I have.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC