3 accross suggestions for 2015 MKX

NCMAMA11

Are there any seats that would work? It's in grandma's car which currently has a Nextfit and Graco safety surround. Shes only been able to carry 2 kids around and now that #3 is getting older and we're getting ready to move slightly further away just switching cars isn't cutting it anymore. Hoping for a solution so she can cart all 3 around. The Nextfit and Graco would be rearfacing and we were planning to get a pinnacle since DS has outgrown the Graco and we could just pass it down. Would these work together or any suggestions for replacing some combination of these without buying all new seats?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

lgenne

What Graco seat is it? Maybe a Headwise or a Milestone?

It looks like the center seat is really narrow, and none of the seats you're talking about are very narrow or good for puzzling (except maybe the Graco, depending on exactly which one it is).

What other car seats do you have?

NCMAMA11

What Graco seat is it? Maybe a Headwise or a Milestone?

It looks like the center seat is really narrow, and none of the seats you're talking about are very narrow or good for puzzling (except maybe the Graco, depending on exactly which one it is).

What other car seats do you have?

Headwise! I knew I was leaving something out:)

You're question regarding other seats reminded me that we have a radian xtsl but I truly despise everything about it from installing it to adjusting it. And it may be expiring soon too, I'd have to check. We have a my ride too but I am pretty sure it is expired. The other seats we have are in my car which are their main seats so I don't really want to switch any of them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgenne

Are you saying that you wouldn't want to use a Headwise and a Nextfit as primary seats? Or that they won't fit in your vehicle? Those are pretty nice seats.

Assuming that you aren't going to swap any seats out of your vehicle, and the Radian won't work at all, I would probably start by acquiring a Harmony Defender or a Graco Tranzitions/Wayz. It might fit between the RF Nextfit and Headwise. If it doesn't work next to one or both of them, you either would need to start replacing rear facing seats with narrower options, or choose to work on backless booster training with a very narrow booster like a Bubblebum.

mamah

The radian may fit better in grandma's car then yours and they last 10 years. It's a great one for three in a row. I would at least try it.

NCMAMA11

Are you saying that you wouldn't want to use a Headwise and a Nextfit as primary seats? Or that they won't fit in your vehicle? Those are pretty nice seats.

Assuming that you aren't going to swap any seats out of your vehicle, and the Radian won't work at all, I would probably start by acquiring a Harmony Defender or a Graco Tranzitions/Wayz. It might fit between the RF Nextfit and Headwise. If it doesn't work next to one or both of them, you either would need to start replacing rear facing seats with narrower options, or choose to work on backless booster training with a very narrow booster like a Bubblebum.

There's nothing wrong with the Headwise or Nextfit, it's just the rear facing seats in my car are both advocates which I love for their ease of use and know they are likely too big for the other scenario anyway.

The reason we were going with the pinnacle is because DS is quite tall and it is the only seat that can still harness him. He is 6 and not ready to booster. My mom would not be comfortable with him in a backless booster anytime soon either, nor would I unfortunately. We were going to get the frontier but she decided on pinnacle because the price difference wasn't significant. Although that wouldn't change anything as far as puzzling I assume? If the radian still has life left would that work with some combination of Nextfit or Headwise, and Pinnacle?
Just thinking ahead to one of those being a ff seat, DD1 will still be rf for the next year or two and she's so tiny she could probably go til 3rd grade:pbut we'll turn her around when she starts kindergarten since she still fits. DD2 is not even 2 so it will be a while.

lgenne

Are you sure it's the only thing that will still harness him? My tall, long waisted almost 7 year old has plenty of growing room in the Evenflo Sureride, for example. It has a harness height that rivals the Pinnacle/Frontier/Pioneer, and has a shape that's much better for puzzling. He's only 5 pounds from the weight limit on the Sureride though, so that could be a consideration.

What makes him not ready for booster training? Is he developing typically, from a gross motor and behavioral standpoint?

NCMAMA11

Are you sure it's the only thing that will still harness him? My tall, long waisted almost 7 year old has plenty of growing room in the Evenflo Sureride, for example. It has a harness height that rivals the Pinnacle/Frontier/Pioneer, and has a shape that's much better for puzzling. He's only 5 pounds from the weight limit on the Sureride though, so that could be a consideration.

What makes him not ready for booster training? Is he developing typically, from a gross motor and behavioral standpoint?

I am fairly certain it is. I asked in another thread here what seats could still harness him and that was the only combo seat that was mentioned. I asked about others but the harness height was lower. DS is 49" and has a long torso. I haven't measured it in a while so don't have that exact number at the moment. Im guessing the Sureride was not suggested because it is a convertible seat and I asked about combination seats. It seems a bit silly to me to buy a convertible seat for DS at this point since we already have other convertibles to pass down so it might be kind of a waste since we would still need to buy a booster when it's time.

As far as not boostering yet, he still falls asleep in the car -we are working on trying to keep head in a certain position so as not to slump forward but we're not there yet and until we are able to move we have a decent drive to and from school. Also since he is harnessed, he cannot move around, but he would if he could especially since his sisters are in the 3rd row and he's in the 2nd row. I just feel at this point it would be safer for all of us if he were to remain harnessed a while longer. He is a good kid but we are working on listening skills too and I don't think it would safest for me to need to be constantly feeling the need to turn around and correct him, etc while driving when we could wait until he is a little more mature.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgenne

Worth bearing in mind: a Sureride plus a dedicated booster is cheaper than a Pioneer, and way cheaper than a Frontier or Pinnacle. Dedicated boosters are easier to use than those combination seats in booster mode, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC