2nd convertible seat for TALL baby - GMC Sierra ext cab - Canada

KateB

Hi!!
I am looking for input/advice on buying a 2nd seat for my son that will go in my husband's 2003 GMC Sierra ext. cab. My son is almost 1 and in the 10th % for weight, and 90th % for height, (at his 9 month appt., he was 18 lbs and 30 inches. That was almost 3 months ago) so I am more concerned about the height limit of the seat.

I want to keep him rearfacing as long as possible. In my car I have the Britax Marathon, which I now understand is not the tallest seat and will not allow extended rearfacing.... (I was misled by the manufacturer's 49" height limit - thinking that meant it was a tall seat....)

Anywho - after researching this forum, I have gathered that the recommended seats for tall babies are the True Fit, Clek Foonf, and Radian.
I am leaning towards the True Fit, as it is the most affordable option. However since I plan on extended Rear Facing, would it make more sense to go with the Foonf or Radian to avoid buying another seat down the road? Are they that much taller than the TrueFit or are all three of these comparable for RF height?

If there are any other seats for tall babies I have missed please rec!! I scratched the Complete Air from my list as it has a stated 36" RF height limit even though the shell is taller..... Why does this have to be SO confusing and frustrating?!?! :eek:

Thanks so much!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Have you tried any in your truck? I haven't in that year, but have in the 05 which I believe is the same. In order to fit a rear-facing seat comfortably it had to go in the middle and peek through between the front seats. I'm not sure you'd get that with a TrueFit to be honest, it's quite wide.

In addition the TrueFit is no longer being produced. The most recent date of manufacture you're likely to find is early 2013, more likely something from 2012. There's nothing wrong with those seats, just that you've lost life on them. If that's okay with you then go for it.

If you're after a budget seat I might go for the Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65 ($99 at Walmart for the Titan, $140 elsewhere for the SureRide, it's the same seat). With 40" and 40lbs RF it's decently long-lasting. However...if you want to last significantly longer than the Britax seat you might choose a Radian or Foonf or one of the new Diono seats with similar specs to the Radians, or even consider a MyRide or Peg Convertible.

Would it make more sense, if so, to swap the Britax into the truck (which would probably fit quite nicely) and put the new seat in your vehicle? Or maybe not right away, but eventually? what do you drive?

I guess it will come down to how long you plan to rear face for and when your child will reach the shell height limit in the Britax seat, versus how much you want to spend.

Panonim

For what it's worth, we have the exact same truck, same year, and a marathon fits beautifully RFing in the middle, and you can even use UAS in the centre which is nice. I have a Sureride in our other vehicle and I believe it would fit nicely in the truck as well. It's a great, long lasting, affordable seat.

KateB

Hmmm... I didn't know truefits weren't being made anymore - that explains why I could no longer find one at BRU though.

I could switch the seats if necessary... I drive a 02 Honda Civic. I would like to rearface him until at least age 4, so that's why I wondered if a Foonf or Radian really does outlast all the others for height - it would be silly to buy a seat now and then if he outgrows it before age 4 to have to buy a foonf or radian at that point. I think he has about 6 inches above his head right now in the Britax - so although I love it I don't want to buy another marathon.

Thanks for your input!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have an 03 Civic. The TrueFit fits well behind either seat, not sure I ever tried in the middle though because I have two kids in there and they won't fit side-by-side. I have only put the older TrueFit in there though, without the anti-rebound bar, and if you are tall also then the extra room taken up by the TrueFit might not be comfortable for you.

The Radian fits with the angle adjuster either middle or outboard, and by that I would presume that the new line of Diono seats (Rainier, Pacifica, Olympia) do as well. Radian outboard with angle adjuster:
12061521246_0bcc448d7a.jpg

and middle with angle adjuster:
12061027544_7fee067c1c.jpg

Foonf outboard:
12730071613_41fbdb3267.jpg

Foonf centre:
Foonfreview08.jpg

Remind me - the lap belt in the middle of the truck - does it have a long buckle stalk? That could be problematic with the Radian because it has a very low belt path and you could get interference. Other than that I would imagine it would install just fine. The Foonf might not be a good fit in the truck on that narrow back seat. I'm imagining it jutting through to the front seating area and having difficulty.

So...does that help any?

KateB

That helped a lot!! Yes, the truck does have long belt stalks! We ended up finding a True Fit Premier on clearance at Canadian Tire for a great price so that made me ok with the lost time on it from manufacture date. I just installed it in the truck and realized what you meant about the belt stalks - they come right up to the belt path on the true fit - but I got it in. Thanks again!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC