Question 2013 Sienna AWD configure 5 5-point carseats (1 infant, 2 FF, 1 RF/FF, 1 other)

smiley

Current configuration is:
3 yo/30 lbs/37 in RF Marathon 2nd driver (will be swapped for infant Chaperone)
5 yo/47 lbs/46 in FF Boulevard 2nd passenger
7 yo/50 lbs/49 in (FF) Frontier 85 rear center (only 3rd LATCH/top tether location)
spare Radian RXT 3rd row passenger
spare Bubblegum backless 3rd driver (hate this because seat belt securing other 3rd row carseats get unbuckled on occasion, but with Frontier width there's not enough room for anything else~13 inches)

-I want to keep all mine in 5 points and reduce future seat movements as much as possible.
-Would like to keep 3 yo RFing if possible until 40 lbs seat max
-Frontier MUST eventually be top tethered at 60 something pounds, but current spot in 3rd center sits too high and blocks my rear view a bit more than I'd like.
-Have to get in infant seat (Chaperone) which logistically needs to go into 2nd row captain somewhere --because of school curbside carlines should probably be in 2nd driver.
-5 yo will hand down Boulevard to 3 yo

If I moved Frontier to 2nd row passenger (to be tethered at higher weight requirement) & Blvd to 3rd row (for 3 yo) what's the pro-con of a 3 yo RFing in the 3rd row outboard vs FF 3rd center for tether? VERSUS buying another Radian and putting some combination of kids in 3rd row FF Radians in outboard and keeping backless booster in 3rd center (only LATCH spot, but it works with seat belt buckle locations so a harnessed seat isn't accidentally being undone). Switching the 3 yo FF to either the Blvd or Frontier in 2nd passenger to allow for school carline entry/exit.

ADS

MommyShannon

You probably are aware of this since you mentioned seats being accidentally unbuckled, but I will mention just in case. Your 7 and 5 year old's seats have to be installed by seatbelt since they are over the LATCH weight limits. Still use the top tether though. When I have a booster being buckled beside a harnessed seat, I turn the harnessed seat's buckle 180 degrees to help prevent accidents.

Also, my 37" DD2 only has 1-2" left in the Britax convertibles. Be sure to keep an eye on his head and that it is 1" below the hard shell NOT the headrest. He will likely outgrow it by height before hitting the 40lb limit. I have 2 FF and 2 RF right now. I have a Britax Marathon 70 in my 3rd row driver's side in my Ody normally. It's mostly for my 13 month old though my 3.5 year old fits too.

I am not a tech, but I like the safety aspect of a rf seat in the 3rd row vs a ff seat especially outboard. It places the child's head toward the center of the vehicle. I do prefer to keep the seat rf tethered though so their head stays in the middle during an accident instead of rebounding into the frame if it crumples. You are allowed to do that with the Britax and Radian seats. I don't have a Sienna so I'm not sure about the best placement for everything. I'd want the regularly ff kids top tethered so probably wouldn't change much except to move the 3 year old to rf in the 3rd row possibly in the Radian to remain rf longer.

KaiLing

For me, FF without a tether would be a non-starter. I'd start with putting the FFers in the three tether-able positions. So Frontier and Boulevard in the captain's chairs. Then I'd try for two RFers outboard in the back, and try to get the Radian in the center tethered FF if possible.

smiley

For me, FF without a tether would be a non-starter. I'd start with putting the FFers in the three tether-able positions. So Frontier and Boulevard in the captain's chairs. Then I'd try for two RFers outboard in the back, and try to get the Radian in the center tethered FF if possible.

I can't envision putting in and taking out an infant seat for a newborn in the 3rd row. It's the kid that will be with me the most--yet furthest away???

Grr minivan. Is it so darn hard to put the stupid tether in every seat location, so no one has to deal with where to put a seat in order to be tethered? Why else does someone buy a minivan if not to haul around kids??

MommyShannon

I can't envision putting in and taking out an infant seat for a newborn in the 3rd row. It's the kid that will be with me the most--yet furthest away???

Grr minivan. Is it so darn hard to put the stupid tether in every seat location, so no one has to deal with where to put a seat in order to be tethered? Why else does someone buy a minivan if not to haul around kids??

How often are the spare seats used? Do you need that extra ff seat installed all the time? I have 4 kids (2 rf and 2 ff) in an Ody. It has plenty of tethers, but due to sibling rivalries, it works better to have my baby (now 14 months) in the 3rd row beside DS (5.5) who can entertain her. She's in a Marathon 70 and I either climb in and sit on the edge of DS's seat or load her through the back which is pretty easy. However, during the week, DD and DS ride the school bus and I go places with just the baby and 3 year old. I pop DD's booster out of the second row and pop in our spare Roundabout 55. It is so easy to install and makes running around the younger kids easier. I normally toss DD's no back booster in the trunk in case I need to get her from school while out. If the ff Radian is only needed occasionally, maybe you can do similarly and install the infant seat in the 3rd row just on those days. Even better, if your 3 year old uses the Radian, you could have a Britax seat ready to throw in when needed.

YinzerMama

Are you trying to figure out how to make a van you have work, or are you considering buying this van and making it work? The new sienna was a huge step back in car seat friendliness compared to the old. If you are looking to buy one and make it work, consider a used one instead. If you have a new one... write to toyota and air your grievances. :) We have a new Honda and while it is better than the new Sienna for lots of car seats IMO, it still has some drawbacks compared to the old... I actually wrote to honda about it, and they actually called me and discussed it. Over time, who knows, with enough customer input they may make some awesome changes to the next gen.

Or if not, at least I felt I did something.

smiley

How often are the spare seats used? Do you need that extra ff seat installed all the time? I have 4 kids (2 rf and 2 ff) in an Ody. It has plenty of tethers, but due to sibling rivalries, it works better to have my baby (now 14 months) in the 3rd row beside DS (5.5) who can entertain her. She's in a Marathon 70 and I either climb in and sit on the edge of DS's seat or load her through the back which is pretty easy. However, during the week, DD and DS ride the school bus and I go places with just the baby and 3 year old. I pop DD's booster out of the second row and pop in our spare Roundabout 55. It is so easy to install and makes running around the younger kids easier. I normally toss DD's no back booster in the trunk in case I need to get her from school while out. If the ff Radian is only needed occasionally, maybe you can do similarly and install the infant seat in the 3rd row just on those days. Even better, if your 3 year old uses the Radian, you could have a Britax seat ready to throw in when needed.

The spare seat is used often. At least 2x/week. With the other perm 4 seats in the car I don't want to be messing around pulling a 5th seat in and out multiple times per week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC