2011 Honda Pilot with 4 carseats?

megiu0502

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post this. :) If not I'm so sorry!

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and I'm dreaming of having just one more child. I'm trying to figure out if we can safely put 4 carseats in this car. I love my car, I'd prefer not to get a different car for a lot of reasons. It never occured to me that just because it fits a lot of people that we might struggle to fit carseats!

So, I have a 3 year old currently RFing, an about to turn 2 year old RFing, and a 2 month old in an infant car seat. I am guessing if we had another one that my 3 year old would have reached the height/weight in her seat and be FFing and my 2 year old might even as well-she has grown really fast.

But let's assume we have a FFing convertible, and 2 RFing convertibles and an infant seat-can this work? Who should go where, and how would I get them in and out of the car?

If it helps we have a Safety 1st Air Protect convertible, a Recaro ProRide and the infant seat is a Chicco. I would likely (if it fit) get another Recaro for my current youngest if it would fit. She's only 2 months so I haven't thought that far ahead!

Thanks for any advice or suggestions! :)
Megan

ADS

canadiangie

I have an 09 Pilot. :)

2nd row driver: Chicco KeyFit
2nd row middle: rear facing Radian
2nd row passenger: nothing -- you slide/flip it forward to access 3rd row.

3rd row driver: rear facing Radian with Angle Adjuster
3rd row passenger: forward facing seat -- something low profile so your oldest rf child can walk past it to climb into their rf Radian.

You stand in the space that is created when your 2nd row passenger seat is slid/flipped forward. You can buckle your 2nd row middle child, pivot and buckle the rf 3rd row Radian, pivot and buckle the ff child. See below for my thoughts on the infant seat...

Personally I always just left my 2nd row passenger seat folded flat, and then I'd reach down and slide it forward while it was folded flat. Doing this created enough space for kids to walk to the 3rd row, and also created enough space for me to stand. It also makes a great place to set an infant seat for a few seconds while you climb in, and then you just pick it up, reach it over to the 2nd row drivers spot and dock it onto the base.

So basically you open the rear passenger door and let your big kids walk to the 3rd row. You lift your rf toddler into the 2nd row middle. Set the infant seat on the flat 2nd row passenger seat (move your front passenger seat forward if no one is using it -- it allows the 2nd row passenger seat to slide that much further), climb in, dock the infant seat onto the base, and then buckle everyone up.

I have three kids and would add a fourth to the mix and keep my beloved Pilot without question. Totally doable. Life would get even easier for you (ie: no big deal at all) as soon as your second oldest is forward facing in the 3rd row. :)

FYI, a Baby Jogger City Mini Double fits like a glove behind the 3rd row if you stand it up, and it still leaves enough room for about 6 bags of groceries, assuming you put the eggs and fruit on top of the soup cans and cereal. :p

aporthole

I have a 2011 Pilot, too. All the previous suggestions were awesome.

You could also do 3 across the 2nd row and put the forward facing seat on the single seat passenger side 3rd row and load through the rear hatch. You could then leave the 60 portion of the 3rd row down for extra storage. A low profile FF convertible or a combination seat should fit just fine in that spot. I've had a FFing Boulevard 65 there (limited leg room) and a Maestro there (fit GREAT, lots of leg room). That spot has LATCH, too.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Angie's got great suggestions. I just wanted to chime in that I have a Pilot (though mine is an '06) and I've had 5-6 kids in it frequently, no problem. My favorite is to put the rear-facers in the third row and load them through the hatch (and I'm only 5'4" -- I just kneel up in there) but Angie's setup sounds like it's actually more functional.

It's totally do-able, though. It only becomes challenging (and even then not impossible, just challenging,) when you need to put three in the third row... so as long as you stay with five kids or less, you're golden. ;)

megiu0502

Well, I typed a reply the other day, but I kept waiting for it to show up and it hasn't!!

Thank you so much for the advice. I feel much better about this now!!

I have a few questions for you.

We tried a radian when car seat shopping but felt like it was too tall when RFing. Do you have a problem seeing over it when looking in your rear view mirror?

I currently have a trunk tray-great for not worrying about dirty stroller wheels making a mess on the back of the car and also for traveling with our dog. Do you have a trunk tray that fits just that little bit of trunk that is left when the whole third row is up? I wonder if they make those....

I wish I could remember the other questions I had written in my lost post. :( Maybe I will remember them later!

I do know that even if our current seats don't fit the way we need them to if/when the time comes it's a lot cheaper to get a new carseat then it is to get a new car!

Oh-and I have a city select, but I never put it away with the seat(s) attached-it's just easier. One of these days I will have to put the third row up and figure out how that would work.

Thank you all again!!

canadiangie

Well, I typed a reply the other day, but I kept waiting for it to show up and it hasn't!!

Thank you so much for the advice. I feel much better about this now!!

I have a few questions for you.

We tried a radian when car seat shopping but felt like it was too tall when RFing. Do you have a problem seeing over it when looking in your rear view mirror?

I currently have a trunk tray-great for not worrying about dirty stroller wheels making a mess on the back of the car and also for traveling with our dog. Do you have a trunk tray that fits just that little bit of trunk that is left when the whole third row is up? I wonder if they make those....

I wish I could remember the other questions I had written in my lost post. :( Maybe I will remember them later!

I do know that even if our current seats don't fit the way we need them to if/when the time comes it's a lot cheaper to get a new carseat then it is to get a new car!

Oh-and I have a city select, but I never put it away with the seat(s) attached-it's just easier. One of these days I will have to put the third row up and figure out how that would work.

Thank you all again!!

You should be fine seeing over a rf Radian. I can, and I'm 5'4".

The tray... I have one too, and love it. When I have my 3rd row up I use a chunk of rubber matting that I cut off a roll from Home Depot. I also have one that fits the folded 60 portion of the 3rd row for when I have just the 40 portion up. This was super cheap -- maybe $30 total?

City Select frame should stand up fine behind your 3rd row. Add-on seats would easily fit beside. And if you need that cargo space you could move your add-on seats to your front seat floor space.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC