Question 2010 Ford Escape, 2 car seats and a dog

letitsnow

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are expecting our second child. Our first will be almost exactly 2 years when #2 is due. We also have a 60lb retriever mix. We like to travel with the dog and take a fair amount of weekend and extended driving trips. Currently, the dog sits in the back seat, and we are trying to figure out if there's a way to keep the dog in the back seat with two car seats. We have a Britax Marathon and a Chicco Nextfit, although are willing to buy a new/different car seat because that would be much cheaper than buying a new car. I suppose the alternative is to put the dog in the trunk, but then that means we have very limited cargo space, even with a roof rack. FWIW, our first is on the larger side. 29lbs and 34 inches at 18 months.

Has anyone else out there been in this situation and can offer any advice?

Other cars we are looking at are the Subaru outback, which has such a large trunk we could probably fit the dog and some gear back there. But, again, I really don't want to get a new car. I am quite fond of our Escape!

Thanks in advance for your help!

D.J.

ADS

abigaylebelle

Does the dog prefer to sit up or lie down? I'm wondering if the dog would be ok in a harness between the two carseats.

Otherwise I doubt different carseats would make much of a difference. Even very narrow seats will only buy you a couple of inches, which is important when putting three car seats/people in but probably won't make or break the dog's comfort.

Personally we put our medium sized dog in the trunk in his crate and pack around him. I'm guessing your dog would need a pretty large crate though. If it helps we have a 2011 forester. Perhaps a harness attached to an approved anchor location in the trunk of the escape?

letitsnow

The dog definitely prefers to lie down. I was hoping she would squeeze in behind the driver if we could get the two car seats next to each other. She's taken to resting her head on the back of the driver's seat.

Thanks for your response. I think I am starting to accept that we need a new car.

DJ

abigaylebelle

Ok so you were hoping to put the children side by side then? I don't know if the marathon and the nextfit will install next to each other in your car. It's certainly worth a try.

If the seats don't fit next to each other you could consider a radian for the older child and then use the marathon (if it is a new generation one with the moving headrest) for the newborn. Or you could try a coccoro for the newborn and keep the toddler in the nextfit or marathon, whichever fits next to the coccoro.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I put 6 people and 3 dogs (90#, 40#, and 10#) in a Honda Odyssey. I find that as long as a build up the floorboard in front of the seating position the dogs will be in, that they have plenty of room. I put a cardboard box (I use the inside to store the soft goods like pillows, jackets so it's not wasted space) on the floor so it's the same height as the vehicle seat, then lay a blanket over the top for padding.

One thing to think about if you don't have one already, is getting a harness for the dog that connects to the car's seatbelts. For one thing, a 60# dog will do a lot of damage if it is thrown into a human at 65mph (weight x speed = aprox pounds of force), but even in minor crashes dogs may freak and bolt out an open window and run into traffic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC