2004 Mazda 6 - Lots of 3-across questions!

texanatheart

Currently, I have 5yo in GN harnessed and almost 3yo in TF FF. New baby will be here in June, and we need to fit him/her in our Mazda 6 with big brothers.

Based on a couple searches I did here a few weeks ago, I have been thinking that an *ideal* set up would be 2 Radians and a KeyFit. But, alas, money is an issue, so if I could keep using the GN that would be great if I could find a way for it to work with 2 other seats. My sister has a Peg Perego seat that she has offered to give me, but I think I read that it would be too wide. I really hate that the TF will be out of the equation (because it's so wide), because I REALLY like that seat!

What is the difference between all of the Radians? It looks like the 65 is the most affordable? Are they only available online? I would love to see one in person before buying.

Also, I wonder about the install of whatever we end up with....LATCH v. seatbelts. The middle seat belt is one that comes from the ceiling of the car and clicks into both sides of the seat (if that makes sense). Is it safe to install with that type of seatbelt? If not, could I do seatbelt installs for outbound seats, then LATCH for the center seat?

Gah, I have so many questions running around in my head! Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. I really only get online at night, so please bear with me if my response(s) is/are delayed!

ADS

lpperry

We have a 2004 Mazda 3, but it is smaller than the 6, so I don't know what seats might fit 3 across.

I do know that when you do 3 across, you are going to have to do seat belt installs for all 3 seats. You have to put the outboard seats close to the doors and you can't use LATCH when you do that, because the LATCH connector will be under the seat. A seatbelt install is just as safe as LATCH, so don't worry about that.

Also, you cannot use LATCH in the middle position of a Mazda 6, so if you put anything in the middle, it has to always be a seatbelt install.

texanatheart

Thank you for your reply and for the good information! So the middle belt is okay to install with? Do you know what type of set up I described before?

I would think that the Mazda 3 is smaller than the 6. Do you have 3 across in your Mazda 3? If so, which ones?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC