2001 Silverado Crew Cab tethers?

U

Unregistered

Hi! We are buying a 2001 Silverado Crew Cab (my husband has seen it, I have not and won't until next week) but in the mean time I'd love to find out about the car seat situation. I haven't found any information about the car seat tethers in the truck, but do know that it does not have LATCH. Any experience with it? For what it's worth, I will be using car seats for my two year old (RF probably for at least another year) and four year old (FF). Currently they are in a True Fit (RF) and Evenflo Momentum (FF - but can use RF as well). We'll be buying new car seats (either for our Sienna or Silverado - whichever combo works best). Thanks so much for your help!

ADS

Brianna

Hi and welcome to car-seat.org :happy-wavehello:

I'm not familiar with that truck so I'll hold back on giving recommendations. This bump will hopefully get some attention to get you better answers. I just wanted to say it's awesome that your 2 year old is rear facing and that you want to keep him rear facing!

Some additional information that may help others give recommendations would be the weight of both children, the torso height (bum to shoulder when seated) of the 4 year old, and how much room the 2 year old has above his head in the True Fit. Do you have just the True Fit and Momentum right now or do you have additional seats available from other vehicles?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can help with the tether anchors by citing info. from the LATCH manual entry for the '01 Silverado crew cab, which has 3 top tether anchors, 1 for each rear seating position, located on the wall behind the back seat. The LATCH manual notes state the following install info: "3 tether anchors on wall behind seat; fold seat cushion forward, by pulling up on the strap loop, then fold seatback forward and remove plastic trim plus to access tether anchor. Return to upright position to install CR (child restraint)." The LATCH manual entry also warns not to install in the front center seating position, and to carefully check the owner's manual regarding the front passenger seat: "Front Center Seat: DO NOT install CR. Equipped with advanced front passenger-side airbag; see owner's manual for information."

U

Unregistered

Thank you both so much for your replies! To answer your questions Brianna - my son has several inches left in his TF, but when he reaches the top we plan to move him RF to the Momentum (we bought the Momentum to give my daughter a little more time RF, until just after age 4). He is average height to short overall, taller torso and 25 pounds. My daughter has a few inches (3 or 4 maybe) to go FF in the Momentum. Long torso height, tall girl, and 38 pounds. Not sure if the TF is taller FF? She is nearing close to maxing out the top harness slots already FF in the Momentum (what's the rule for that?) We do have a "spare" - a Safety First Avenue. I'm thinking I'd like to get her a Frontier 85 (eventually one for both!). Definitely want to use 5 point harness as long as is reasonably possible. Other vehicle is an 06 Sienna. Any other suggestions or experience with a 01 Silverado crew cab? Thanks again, everyone! What a neat community!

tylersmom

Are you positive it doesn't have latch? I drive a 2001 silverado extended cab (has doors on both sides but not full size doors). It was one of the first 2001 (purchased it in aug 2000) and it has Latch.

I have teethers under the head cushions and one in the middle (small metal squares) and I believe RF, there are teethers under the driver and passenger seats.

I hope you like the truck! Mine has a few quirks (as I'm sure every car does) but I love it! :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Silverado extended cab models like yours had full LATCH as of the 2001 model year, but not the '01 Silverado crew cab cited above. Factory equipped full LATCH (top tether anchors + lower LATCH anchors) started with late 2002 model year Silverado crew cab models.

MommaK

Silverado extended cab models like yours had full LATCH as of the 2001 model year, but not the '01 Silverado crew cab cited above. Factory equipped full LATCH (top tether anchors + lower LATCH anchors) started with late 2002 model year Silverado crew cab models.

Strange! So -- do you know if the 2001 crew cabs have tether anchors? Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC