Question Outgrowing Britax Roundabout and need recommendations

knittinkninja

Because we had a compact car, we got a Roundabout for our son. He's 2 and is still RF-ing, but is very close to reaching the height limit for RF-ing in that seat. Because the Roundabout has a 40" limit, and he's 36" now, we are looking to get a new seat.

So my question is this: Do we get him another convertable and have him rear-facing longer? Or do we turn him and go with a 3-in-1 FF-ing 5 point harness seat? I'm inclined to have him RF-ing as long as possible.

My other question is what recommendations any of you have for seats. We have a larger car now, a 2003 Chevy Malibu, so we should be fine with a larger seat. I've been looking at the Britax Boulevard. What other seats would be good?

Thanks so much! The more I think on this subject, the more confused/worried I've been getting.

ADS

all together ooky

The Roundabout is a very short seat and is outgrown by height early. I'm guessing he's already outgrown it by height for rear-facing (it is outgrown when there is less than 1 inch from his head to the top of the shell). Please disreagard the stated height limit on the seat (every kid is shaped differently-some with long legs, some have long torsos).

How much does your child weigh?
At 2 he is still much safer rear-facing (his head is still large for his body and his vertebrae haven't started to fuse).
While the BLVD is a nice seat, it has a 35lb RF limit and has a shorter back than some others on the market. It also doesn't have as much leg room as some others. Others to consider are:
*True Fit 35lbs RF limit, tall shell;
*Radian 40-45lbs rear-facing limit-depending on model, tall shell;
*Complete Air 40lb rear-facing limit, very tall shell
*My Ride 40lb rear-facing limit, not as tall as the previous two-similar to BLVD
*Triumph Advance 35lbs rear-facing limit, similar to My Ride for height

all together ooky

Oh yeah, he's still little (with long legs?). Definitely keep him rear-facing. Any of those seats mentioned above will give him plenty of time to RF. :thumbsup:

armywife12

I love our True Fit and MyRide. Since he is still under 30lbs, it doesn't sound like he'll need the higher rear facing weight limit so I'd probably go with the True Fit. He'd have tons of room left rear facing in that, probably another 2 yrs or so in height. My son is 2, 37.5 inches tall but is 33-34lbs so he's fastly approaching the max weight limit to rear face in his True Fit. That is why the MyRide is perfect for us right now. I've had the Marathon, True Fit, MyRide, and como rear facing in our Neon and all fit great so you should have no problems fitting any seat rear facing in your vehicle.
While I love Britax, they are far behind in the convertible seats these days so I'm not crazy about them anymore. I wouldn't buy one for a 2 yr old. I would rather go with a True fit, MyRide, Triumph Advance, or Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC