Getting a car seat through an airport...

ckelly626

So I've been talked out of using the Sit n Stroll on my upcoming trip (and now am trying to sell it! :mad: ) and have decided to take my current car seat. Next dilema to solve: how to get the seat through the airport. I see people rave about the travelling toddler and the gogo kidz. The gogo kidz really appeals to me but is kinda costly. Maybe I'm being stupid but is there any reason I can't replicate this contraption by strapping my car seat to a small luggage dolly/cart??? I figure that all I need is a cart (the one I've seen holds 150lbs and is like $12 and a luggage strap. I'd run the strap behind the seat and around the luggage dolley and tighten. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Or should I just get the travelling toddler strap? Thanks.

ADS

stracy

We have the Travelling Toddler and LOVE it. It's great because we always end up travelling with a rolling suitcase, anyway. I don't see why you couldn't replicate it using cargo straps, but I'm just not that handy. For $15, I decided to let someone else do the work! Just make sure you stow it somewhere consistent when you're not using it, or else you'll find yourself clamoring through your bags looking for it in the middle of the airport. You do have to have the car seat and bag disconnected until you go through security.

vonfirmath

For our recent airplane trip, I bought 2 bungee cords and bungee'd my car seat to his stroller. It worked. I know others have bought a luggage cart and done something similar as well.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have used a $15 luggage cart from Walmart with great results. It comes with a bungee cord, but since I have more than one kid and carseat, I use the first carseat's LATCH straps and clip them directly to the luggage cart, and bungee the second seat over the first. I have also LATCHed the seat on and had the kid ride in it :)

aeormsby

I've done both the carseat bungeed to a luggage cart and the stroller. Both work great and LO can still sit in the carseat and get wheeled around. Depending how old your LO is, I've also carried LO in a sling or Ergo and pulled carseat in a wheeled bag.
Ann

MomToEliEm

We have always used an inexpensive luggage cart from Walmart and it worked great for getting our seats through the airport. We usually secured one to the cart, placed carry-on luggage in the seating area of that carseat and then placed our second carseat upside down over the other carseat and luggage and secured it all with a bungee cord.

Jan06twinmom

We also use the luggage cart with the car seat strapped on. Then we use the seat as our "stroller" through the airport when the kids want to ride. I use one of my luggage carts for work when we're not traveling.

Melanie

Eclipsepearl

Works great. My dd rode in the car seat strapped to the luggage cart. I skipped the stroller (either borrowing or checking). No need to buy a GogoKidz.

Bungee cords are your friends! Play with them at home...

ckelly626

Well, I ended up purchasing an Evenflo Tribute V and secrued it to a cheap luggage cart from Kmart - works soooooo well! Why didn't I think of this earlier! We will be taking our stroller as well because we have a 10hr layover in LAX and dd will probably want to take a nap. If it weren't for the layover I wouldn't see any need to take a stroller. Thanks for all the help!

Northriver

Glad to hear you figured something out!

I've tried just about everything and had pretty good results with everything I've tried. I've strapped the seat to a luggage cart, with and without my very large toddler riding in it, I've transported my seat in my stroller and had my child push the stroller mine fits best upside down so she wasn't able to ride using this option, and I've used the Traveling Toddler. I've also just carried seats through the airport, I've lugged Marathons around and work the Radian as a backpack. It just depends on where we are going and whether we are taking a carry on bag and/or a stroller.

kbud

I put the carseat in the seat of the stroller and strap the kid into the carseat. This won't work with all seats and strollers but it eliminates the need for the luggage cart if it works for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC